Just logged in

nihilii

3 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Haha, you digging the changes?

Tankmage tankmage tankmage tankmage tankmage.

YES!!

It's funny: my favorite character (rad/bio scrapper) took a hit, only to revive my previous favorite character(s).

I'm ready for the Age of Sentinels.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nihilii said:

Tankmage tankmage tankmage tankmage tankmage.

YES!!

It's funny: my favorite character (rad/bio scrapper) took a hit, only to revive my previous favorite character(s).

I'm ready for the Age of Sentinels.

haha nice man! I'm gonna have to dig my Elec/Elec Sent out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brasilgringo said:

What toon do you feel tankmagey on?  When I tried my Elec/Bio on test it didn't seem to be that big a change.

There's some bias: I always believed Sentinels were great. To me they were somewhat tankmages from the start, it's just an opinion that wasn't worth voicing too often as too many people disagreed. Plus, I haven't played regularly for a while, and *any* powerful CoH build looks pretty damn powerful once we lack a referential.

I'm playing my Fire/Rad so far, with my old build.

To be honest, I'm barely squeezing out better times on Pylons so far. I guess the attack chain was so reliant on procs even +0.15 base damage doesn't change all that much.

However, against +4/x8 things just seem to melt. Opportunity (Vulnerability, I guess?) seems like it's up forever on bosses. Which always were the roadblocks, as mininuke + AoEs do a good enough job clearing minions and lieutenants.

Subjectively this feels like ~85% blaster damage with ~85% stalker survivability. I am more than happy with these ratios.

I have hope +0 performance might get better anyway once I rethink my builds for the new paradigm. i.e., I'm guessing it must be worth adding Blazing Blast in now, and maybe skipping the T1 save as a mule.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, nihilii said:

There's some bias: I always believed Sentinels were great. To me they were somewhat tankmages from the start, it's just an opinion that wasn't worth voicing too often as too many people disagreed. Plus, I haven't played regularly for a while, and *any* powerful CoH build looks pretty damn powerful once we lack a referential.

I'm playing my Fire/Rad so far, with my old build.

To be honest, I'm barely squeezing out better times on Pylons so far. I guess the attack chain was so reliant on procs even +0.15 base damage doesn't change all that much.

However, against +4/x8 things just seem to melt. Opportunity (Vulnerability, I guess?) seems like it's up forever on bosses. Which always were the roadblocks, as mininuke + AoEs do a good enough job clearing minions and lieutenants.

Subjectively this feels like ~85% blaster damage with ~85% stalker survivability. I am more than happy with these ratios.

I have hope +0 performance might get better anyway once I rethink my builds for the new paradigm. i.e., I'm guessing it must be worth adding Blazing Blast in now, and maybe skipping the T1 save as a mule.

Last time I tried Fire/* there wasn't a reliable way to end the repel in the Blazing Blast power.  Has that been fixed/addressed? 

9 minutes ago, brasilgringo said:

Last time I tried Fire/* there wasn't a reliable way to end the repel in the Blazing Blast power.  Has that been fixed/addressed? 

I normally blaze one and switch targets and if they didn't die I blaze them when they come back for more...or just push them into a wall and toast them into submission.  I have a number of fire blast sentinels and that's generally how I've dealt with the repel to the point that I don't even notice it anymore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drbuzzard said:

I would certainly like the option of ending the repel. I'm not fond of tossing things around, YMMV. I like things bunched up for AOEs. 

It is single target. It cannot toss things (plural) around. It can only toss a thing (singular) around. And mostly it just shoves the target back then knocks them down...they don't go particularly far.

If you're trying to AoE, you're not using a single target attack.

9 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

It is single target. It cannot toss things (plural) around. It can only toss a thing (singular) around. And mostly it just shoves the target back then knocks them down...they don't go particularly far.

If you're trying to AoE, you're not using a single target attack.

Yes, I only use it once per time I log it on to avoid tossing 'things'. Really? 

The second part of this 'argument' doesn't hold a lot more water. The target gets tossed out of AOE range. I've had a fire/fire sent for years now. I tried to limit the impact of the knockback with KB>KD IOs, and they don't do it because of the repel. 

Do we need COH 101 or something? Spawns have opponents of different toughness, some require more damage to kill. Hence you kill mooks with AOEs and bosses with high damage single target attacks. Sometimes you need a cycle of AOEs to finish things and oddly enough sometimes those AOEs are not up. This doesn't even bring up the concept that you can be on a team, and tossing away a target being engaged by a melee teammate is kinda rude. 

How about you accept that you like the power as is and I don't . Furthermore, how about we avoid specious arguments as to why I have my opinion. I don't ask the power to be changed other than having the option of no KB and repel. I don't wish to take away the way you like to play it. If my option is not feasible, I can live with playing electric blast instead, which I do. 

2 hours ago, nihilii said:

I'd go without the repel/kb if it were an option, but I also find a kb-to-kd IO + a slight jump as you shoot turns BB into nice soft control for tougher targets. It's definitely higher maintenance.

I tried it with the KB>KD and found it didn't really help enough to be worth wasting the slot. I just took it out and deal with tossing things around. The beef I have is that you basically have to make a choice between using your second highest DPAS attack and throwing things out of your target cluster or skipping it to keep things in the cluster. 

If the power just lacked the repel, it would be all good. People who like the knockback could just use it as is, and the rest could fix it with the IO. I just don't understand what the repel adds. It means something in PVP, but is there a practical difference in PVE by adding repel?

8 hours ago, drbuzzard said:

is there a practical difference in PVE by adding repel?

It allowed them to make a stronger control than would be otherwise warranted by a power available to sentinels.

The mag 4 Hold is of just enough strength and duration to disable the protection powers of almost every enemy below native EB status.  That makes them vulnerable to the Repel and KB.  Once the Repel is applied, the enemy is locked into the keyed animation, and can't respond.  It has to wait until the Repel finishes, then wait again for the KB animation to complete, before it can do anything.

Essentially, the Repel and KB extend the duration the 0.61 second mag 4 Hold into a much longer Hold, by manipulating the animation system.

It's actually a remarkably clever way to give a low control archetype a strong control without actually giving it a strong control.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.