Add endurance drain resistance to endurance inspirations

Uun

Was recently fighting Neuron on my BS/Shield scrapper. Notwithstanding my soft capped defense, I was forced to chew through a bunch of blue inspirations because he has an autohit endurance drain power (Power Sink?) and Shield has no end drain resistance. I know there's an empowerment buff you can craft that provides 20% end drain resistance for 90 minutes, but it occurred to me that one of the inspirations should provide it. Perhaps it could be added to the endurance inspirations, whereby each would provides 60 seconds of end drain resistance in line with the percent of endurance it recovers. For example, Catch a Breath would provide 25% resistance, Take a Breather would provide 33% and Second Wind would provide 50%. Alternatively it could be added to the resist effects or resist damage inspirations.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Honestly, it's just not a good idea. Constant powercreep. 

Let SD have a hole. 

Let those support classes that can buff recovery and end drain resistance have a role. 

Not every hero need to be a god. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I have no issue with SD (and many other sets) having a weakness to end drain. For the most part it's a non-issue, since it can be counteracted with defense. There are, however, foes with auto-hit end drain. There should be a way to address this other than serially popping endurance inspirations.

Inspirations are not power creep. Inspirations are supposed to compensate for weaknesses, particularly when soloing. Accuracy inspirations didn't originally have +perception. It was added to them in I4 to allow players without +perception powers to fight foes with -perception powers (i.e., Arachnos).  Resist Damage inspirations were added to the game in I5 (and teleport protection was added to them in I7) to allow players to fight foes with auto-hit damage. Resist Effect inspirations didn't originally have resistance to taunt, placate and repel, but were added later (I can't find the date in the patch notes) in response to the addition of foes using these powers. I think adding partial resistance to end drain to inspirations falls into the same camp.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

5 hours ago, Uun said:

I have no issue with SD (and many other sets) having a weakness to end drain. For the most part it's a non-issue, since it can be counteracted with defense. There are, however, foes with auto-hit end drain. There should be a way to address this other than serially popping endurance inspirations.

Inspirations are not power creep.   

There is another solution. Teaming with a support character capable of addressing your concern. 

Will the change you proposed make your character more powerful? If yes, then it is powercreep. Maybe minor... but that's the "creep" part. 

I could agree with power creep if it were an auto power and not a 60 second boost.  If any inspiration could be considered power creep its Ultimate.  But the very purpose of inspirations is for a temporary boost.  I personally wouldnt need it since i use like 1 inspiration a month but having an inspiration provide some end resist seems reasonable.  Im inclined to agree that it should go on the orange one though.

16 hours ago, ... said:

There is another solution. Teaming with a support character capable of addressing your concern. 

"Get a team" is not a valid argument for content designed to be soloed. I was fighting an EB (in MJ's arc), not an AV. I've soloed that mission dozens of times before. I was able to defeat him, so perhaps that's the argument against my suggestion. But a team should not be required to complete any story arc.

• Like 2

Wow, didn't expect that much anti-powercreep sentiment over this suggestion. 

Inspirations are supposed to be cheap, temporary consumables designed to help a hero overcome difficult (or otherwise impossible) challenges.  It's fine if they're powerful, we're not supposed to have them up all the time. (If we are, I'd be suggesting a rather large nerf to the luck series of inspirations).  Adding resistance to a rarer debuff to either blue or orange inspirations is a good QoL change, powercreep or not, kinda like how we don't have Iron Will inspirations anymore. 

Of the two inspirations to add this to, I'd favor adding it to the oranges.  While End. debuff resistance would be thematically appropriate for blues to have, debuff resistance could become what oranges are known for. We could add even resistances for the dubuffs @biostem mentioned too.  Maybe we'll have a reason to carry them then, as, while some end-heavy builds carry blues, most of us view oranges as trash (because they are, except for a few, very specific, cases).

Oh, and as a side note for those of you saying builds should have a hole, and inspirations either shouldn't, or only partially cover that weakness:  it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on squishies carrying break frees, or lowbies carrying around a half-dozen lucks for the EB at the end of some arcs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Astralock said:

I would agree to this if e-mail storage is limited back down to 20 messages

I'd counter-proposal this to "nerf lucks".  Endurance drain resistance is *very* situational, but a medium luck will stop half of incoming damage, assuming no existing defenses on the character.  (It obviously won't stop a defense cascade, but most late- game toons have 20+% defense, at which point a medium luck will stop nearly all incoming damage & debuffs)

1 hour ago, Akisan said:

I'd counter-proposal this to "nerf lucks".  Endurance drain resistance is *very* situational, but a medium luck will stop half of incoming damage, assuming no existing defenses on the character.  (It obviously won't stop a defense cascade, but most late- game toons have 20+% defense, at which point a medium luck will stop nearly all incoming damage & debuffs)

Lucks in and of themselves are not an issue, really.  Storing 100+ large and super lucks in e-mail messages at all times is.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/15/2022 at 10:31 AM, Uun said:

Inspirations are not power creep. Inspirations are supposed to compensate for weaknesses, particularly when soloing. Accuracy inspirations didn't originally have +perception. It was added to them in I4 to allow players without +perception powers to fight foes with -perception powers (i.e., Arachnos).  Resist Damage inspirations were added to the game in I5 (and teleport protection was added to them in I7) to allow players to fight foes with auto-hit damage. Resist Effect inspirations didn't originally have resistance to taunt, placate and repel, but were added later (I can't find the date in the patch notes) in response to the addition of foes using these powers. I think adding partial resistance to end drain to inspirations falls into the same camp.

Maybe there should be no auto-hit all together...

49 minutes ago, MsSmart said:

Maybe there should be no auto-hit all together...

Auto-hit debuffs make sense. Autohit damage.. not so much. But -endurance and -recovery are hard to counteract, so putting some -recovery resistance (or -end resistance?) into the blue inspirations seems like a good idea. Its not adding +recovery, just makes it harder for you to get debuffed after using them.

Plus it thematically makes sense, based on the names of the blue inspirations anyways.