Grav/Traps/???: New to the Control Game. Request slotting assistance.

ThrillMill

The Issue: I've rolled a Grav/Traps after leveling and slotting my Ice Melee/Fire Armor Brute into the Incarnate Content. To say the two characters have radically different abilities and play styles would be an understatement. I'm having difficultly not only some solo'ing content but also find myself questioning my roll on teams as well. As it relates to the former, I'm finding it difficult to handle bosses and some problem mobs. Specifically, Tsoo Sorcerers, hard-hitting Sky Raiders Lts and those filthy, filthy sapping Fr34ks. In a team setting, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. I'll typically open with Crushing Field and then attempt to pick off troublesome critters with Propel, Crush and Lift. Only, I typically find that I get one or two shots off at most before the field is clear. It's probably important to note that I'm currently sitting at Level 22. Just IO'd up but I still feel lackluster.

Don't misunderstand me; I LIKE to play the guy but I also realize I don't have a solid grasp of it's mechanics and slotting requirements. For instance. should my #1 priority for slotting be Recharge, followed by +Def into...what exactly. I know traps (and control powers in general) would benefit greatly with a high recharge build. I've got to think that stack +Def with FF would also be a smart move. And with that in mind, should I eventually spec into either the Ice or Scorpion Epics for their respective +Def shields? I personally think the Body Master pool would fit my character's theme a little better but the shield there is +Res based. Would love me some Power Blast, Power boost AND Energy Torrent though (for both theme and effect)

TBC (at work and gotta log!)

6/11/19

And...we're back!

OK, if you're willing; I'd like to take a look at how to slot some of the powers available in Gravity. As mentioned above; I enjoy BOTH the solo'ing ability Gravity affords me with its relatively high single-target damage AND teaming/TFs. Does anyone here have a preferred slotting ideal for...

1. Gravity Distortion: My go-to, bread & butter single target control/damage option that also sets up Gravity's IMPACT bonus when paired with Lift and Propel. This is a large part of what I love about Gravity. My initial thoughts concerning slotting here are to go the "franken-slotting" route to maximize Control > Recharge > Damage (in that order). Are Hami-Os the best place to start? Or, should I place a set of Apoc's in there for the nice global Recharge recharge bonus?

I fully intend to 6-slot this puppy. I'm open to any/all ideas here.

2. Crush: I'm super conflicted about this power. It sets up containment for me but so does Web Grenade (albeit, w/o any damage). Is this power skippable at later levels? I like it and there's many ways to slot it but I don't really know if I NEED it. Slots are looking tight on this build. Would probably 3-4 slot it if I keep it.

3. Lift: Really liking this from a damage and soft-control stand-point. Doesn't set up containment BUT does benefit from IMPACT. Figured I would 5 slot it for damage later on down the road. Don't want to lose it from the build as it helps mitigate bosses for me.

4. Propel: Probably 40% of the reason I chose Gravity to begin with. I love, love, love this thing. The ability to pull a f'ing forklift and bean someone with it provides me no end of pleasure. I'm suspect I'll 6-slot this thing. Does anyone have any creative ideas for slotting it. My thinking is to 6 slot it with a ranged damage set?

5. Crushing Field: Lovely targeted AoE immob. Other than the Gravitation Anchor chance for HOLD, I'm not entirely sure what set to slot this with. The damage is decent for AoE but I also really appreciate it keeping mobs off of me. I'd be interested to hear how others chose to slot this out.

<pause>

The role of the Controller is to well, Control.  Control the enemy and make the battlefield yours!  You don't put up the big numbers, you help set up other to do them.  If you are doing your job well, no one really notices (unless you are using Earth control then everyone sees your stuff), you are the one looking for the annoying trash (in this case Tsoo Sorcerers) to lock down before they have a chance to teleport or hurricane your team.

Now you do have to be aware of the Magnitude attribute.  All CC's have them (and conversely you and enemies have a resistance) the higher the Mag def the more you have to layer your CC's to effect them.

Your Gravity Distortion has a Mag 3 hold.  This covers LT and lower (LT's have a Mag 3 Def) so that if you hit them, you will hold them right away.  A Boss has a Mag 4 def, this means you have to hit your Grav Dist on it twice (while the 1st is still in effect) for him to be held.  So this is where trying to find a good balance between recharge and (in this case) hold effects come into play when Enhancing your powers.  Now Grav Dist has a base hold time of 22 seconds so you normally will be able to layer a hold 2 before the 1st wears off.  One recharge or one hold is enough.  Usually, you want to focus on Accuracy as you can't hold something even you can't hit.

Now with /Traps you are there to debuff your enemies so that they go down faster.  Acid Morter, FFG, Poison Trap are your bread and butter.  Acid reduces Defences, Poison has a minor hold buff kills any Regen.  FFG helps give protection to your team in +DEF and Mez Def.  Don't take Time Bomb.  Too many times  you'll either die setting it up, or it won't go off when you want.  Trip Mine is better.  Lay a few of those with a Poison Trap and Wormhole a MOB onto it.  Fun Times.

Continue to advance your Controller, they are the thinking man (and woman) AT.  They may take some time to bloom (usually around 32) but they are not useless.

What you want to do is read these forums as well as the archive ones from before the shutdown (https://web.archive.org/web/20121108232155/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/).  Lots of build ideas and reading to help with your journey.

The role of the Controller is to well, Control.  Control the enemy and make the battlefield yours!  You don't put up the big numbers, you help set up other to do them.  If you are doing your job well, no one really notices (unless you are using Earth control then everyone sees your stuff), you are the one looking for the annoying trash (in this case Tsoo Sorcerers) to lock down before they have a chance to teleport or hurricane your team.

Now you do have to be aware of the Magnitude attribute.  All CC's have them (and conversely you and enemies have a resistance) the higher the Mag def the more you have to layer your CC's to effect them.

Your Gravity Distortion has a Mag 3 hold.  This covers LT and lower (LT's have a Mag 3 Def) so that if you hit them, you will hold them right away.  A Boss has a Mag 4 def, this means you have to hit your Grav Dist on it twice (while the 1st is still in effect) for him to be held.  So this is where trying to find a good balance between recharge and (in this case) hold effects come into play when Enhancing your powers.  Now Grav Dist has a base hold time of 22 seconds so you normally will be able to layer a hold 2 before the 1st wears off.  One recharge or one hold is enough.  Usually, you want to focus on Accuracy as you can't hold something even you can't hit.

Now with /Traps you are there to debuff your enemies so that they go down faster.  Acid Morter, FFG, Poison Trap are your bread and butter.  Acid reduces Defences, Poison has a minor hold buff kills any Regen.  FFG helps give protection to your team in +DEF and Mez Def.  Don't take Time Bomb.  Too many times  you'll either die setting it up, or it won't go off when you want.  Trip Mine is better.  Lay a few of those with a Poison Trap and Wormhole a MOB onto it.  Fun Times.

Continue to advance your Controller, they are the thinking man (and woman) AT.  They may take some time to bloom (usually around 32) but they are not useless.

What you want to do is read these forums as well as the archive ones from before the shutdown (https://web.archive.org/web/20121108232155/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/).  Lots of build ideas and reading to help with your journey.

Thank you for the post. I'll check out the archived forums for some more information.

• 3 years later

You're not leveraging your abilities properly. Back away a bit, put down a Trip Mine. Turn a bit, put down a Poison Gas Trap. By this time, Trip Mine should be back up, so put down a second (if not, back away a bit and put down an Acid Mortar, pop some Seeker Drones, or resummon your FFG). If you're worried that two might not be enough, put down a third. Position yourself with a good view of your target spawn and your minefield, and Wormhole the spawn onto the mines. Watch the carnage, cleaning up anything that survives the blast that your Singularity didn't grab. Check the original spawn; if you missed one or two, they're standing around clueless, ready to be cleaned up.

On 6/10/2019 at 6:57 PM, ThrillMill said:

The Issue: I've rolled a Grav/Traps after leveling and slotting my Ice Melee/Fire Armor Brute into the Incarnate Content. To say the two characters have radically different abilities and play styles would be an understatement. I'm having difficultly not only some solo'ing content but also find myself questioning my roll on teams as well. As it relates to the former, I'm finding it difficult to handle bosses and some problem mobs. Specifically, Tsoo Sorcerers, hard-hitting Sky Raiders Lts and those filthy, filthy sapping Fr34ks. In a team setting, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. I'll typically open with Crushing Field and then attempt to pick off troublesome critters with Propel, Crush and Lift. Only, I typically find that I get one or two shots off at most before the field is clear. It's probably important to note that I'm currently sitting at Level 22. Just IO'd up but I still feel lackluster.

Don't misunderstand me; I LIKE to play the guy but I also realize I don't have a solid grasp of it's mechanics and slotting requirements. For instance. should my #1 priority for slotting be Recharge, followed by +Def into...what exactly. I know traps (and control powers in general) would benefit greatly with a high recharge build. I've got to think that stack +Def with FF would also be a smart move. And with that in mind, should I eventually spec into either the Ice or Scorpion Epics for their respective +Def shields? I personally think the Body Master pool would fit my character's theme a little better but the shield there is +Res based. Would love me some Power Blast, Power boost AND Energy Torrent though (for both theme and effect)

TBC (at work and gotta log!)

6/11/19

And...we're back!

OK, if you're willing; I'd like to take a look at how to slot some of the powers available in Gravity. As mentioned above; I enjoy BOTH the solo'ing ability Gravity affords me with its relatively high single-target damage AND teaming/TFs. Does anyone here have a preferred slotting ideal for...

1. Gravity Distortion: My go-to, bread & butter single target control/damage option that also sets up Gravity's IMPACT bonus when paired with Lift and Propel. This is a large part of what I love about Gravity. My initial thoughts concerning slotting here are to go the "franken-slotting" route to maximize Control > Recharge > Damage (in that order). Are Hami-Os the best place to start? Or, should I place a set of Apoc's in there for the nice global Recharge recharge bonus?

I fully intend to 6-slot this puppy. I'm open to any/all ideas here.

2. Crush: I'm super conflicted about this power. It sets up containment for me but so does Web Grenade (albeit, w/o any damage). Is this power skippable at later levels? I like it and there's many ways to slot it but I don't really know if I NEED it. Slots are looking tight on this build. Would probably 3-4 slot it if I keep it.

3. Lift: Really liking this from a damage and soft-control stand-point. Doesn't set up containment BUT does benefit from IMPACT. Figured I would 5 slot it for damage later on down the road. Don't want to lose it from the build as it helps mitigate bosses for me.

4. Propel: Probably 40% of the reason I chose Gravity to begin with. I love, love, love this thing. The ability to pull a f'ing forklift and bean someone with it provides me no end of pleasure. I'm suspect I'll 6-slot this thing. Does anyone have any creative ideas for slotting it. My thinking is to 6 slot it with a ranged damage set?

5. Crushing Field: Lovely targeted AoE immob. Other than the Gravitation Anchor chance for HOLD, I'm not entirely sure what set to slot this with. The damage is decent for AoE but I also really appreciate it keeping mobs off of me. I'd be interested to hear how others chose to slot this out.

<pause>

Rule no. 1 when teaming with a controller, never ever open up with your aoe immobilise. You pin everything down outside of melee range which seriously annoys tanks/scrappers and brutes who then have to run around using single target attacks on every enemy and will most likely lead them to just ignore the mob and run ahead to the next one leaving you to attempt to mop it up alone. And the blasters will (most likely) go with them as their aoe's become just as useless.

Don't see a lot of builds posted for this combo, only decent one i found was @Coyote

(just noticed it had barrier running and doesnt have crushing field so it may need some tinkering to suit your playstyle)

Edited by Meknomancer
To add mids build
  • Like 1

Rule #1 - I would modify that to not so much not use as give the foes a moment and they'll collapse in on your melee focused teammates.  You can literally watch as the mobs close in around the melee often firing one range attack then moving to get in melee.  But yes pause a moment on any AoE CC, immobilize is simply the hardest on them as it doesn't prevent mobs from attacking at range.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 10:35 AM, Meknomancer said:

Rule no. 1 when teaming with a controller, never ever open up with your aoe immobilise. You pin everything down outside of melee range which seriously annoys tanks/scrappers and brutes who then have to run around using single target attacks on every enemy and will most likely lead them to just ignore the mob and run ahead to the next one leaving you to attempt to mop it up alone.

With a Grav/ Controller, that's less of a problem. Alpha your AoE immobilize, then Wormhole the spawn to the tank.

• Like 1

I have to agree that, with a fast-moving team you don't have the opportunity to do the setup to fully exploit Traps, although you can get opportunities -- I was on a TF recently in a defeat all mission against the Council, and had gone up a tunnel ending in a room full of Council while the rest of the team had gone another direction. Using the 'trip mine, gas trap, trip mine, wormhole' rotation, I'd almost cleared the room before one of my teammates noticed that I wasn't with them and came back to see what was going on.

Running on your own, though, you have a great deal more capability. Yesterday, I accidentally picked the wrong mission in Brickstown with my newly-50 Grav/Traps, and instead of an outleveled mission from Maxwell Christopher I was running at +3 for a balance between speed of completion and getting XP, I entered the first mission from Harvey Maylor, taken at 50, so I was running it at +3 to me. When I checked my difficulty setting to see why I was seeing only yellow and up mobs, I saw I was at +3 and the mission was base 50... and realized that I wasn't really having a problem taking down the spawns; I just used three Trip Mines instead of two for the Wormhole destination. It wasn't blazing through the mission blowing away anything that moved at extreme range, or beating it into the ground ignoring their attempts to resist, but it was steady progress.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1