If I build a base here, can I save it for other servers?

GrapeKat

If I were to build a base on this server, is there any way I can save the file for it for use on other servers?

You can make a demorecord of your base and save that file. That doesn't guarantee another server will allow you to give them a copy of the demorecord and import your base.

7hZ6srn.png

Kyriani-Nic-Jem

If I were to build a base on this server, is there any way I can save the file for it for use on other servers?

You can make a demorecord of your base and save that file. That doesn't guarantee another server will allow you to give them a copy of the demorecord and import your base.

Thank you.

And those demo records can be used to recreate your base in Paragon Chat. I have several old bases from the live game there, for when I'm feeling nostalgic.

To do a demorecord of my base, what do I need to do? Obviously, I need to use the slash command and give it a file name... but when making the recording, do I just stroll from room to room in my base, letting it do its thing?

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

To do a demorecord of my base, what do I need to do? Obviously, I need to use the slash command and give it a file name... but when making the recording, do I just stroll from room to room in my base, letting it do its thing?

If you're just making the demorecord as a way of preserving the base, that's not necessary. All the file information for the base loads at once when you first enter, so it all gets saved to the demorecord as well.

And those demo records can be used to recreate your base in Paragon Chat. I have several old bases from the live game there, for when I'm feeling nostalgic.

I realize this is a bit off-topic, but.... What actually *is* Paragon Chat, anyway? I'd not heard of it until after the Homecoming servers came online, and I assumed initially it was just, essentially, a bulletin board where old CoX players chatted with each other (and maybe did some RPing with characters sans game). But comments like yours seem to suggest there was more to it than that....

I realize this is a bit off-topic, but.... What actually *is* Paragon Chat, anyway?

Before it was revealed that the server code was leaked, some clever people figured out a way to access the client-side game files (stuff that came on the CD and the updates that got downloaded to users computers) by linking it to a chat client.

This allowed users to log in, create characters with costumes, travel around the different zones, and interact with other users. It was similar to accessing the whole game in some ways, but very different in others. You only had access to travel powers, there were no freemoving NPC's, and you really couldn't play the game in any meaningful way.

You may also hear people talk about Icon, which came before Paragon Chat. This was an offline set up that let you make costumes and access the zones, but you couldn't interact with anybody else. You did have access to some mod controls though, and could turn into or summon various NPC's (they didn't move or do anything though).

Does this work for anyone with Homecoming demorecords? My original "Live" demorecords work in Paragon Chat, but none of my i25 demos do.