/Kin question

Echo Chamber

I made a Fire/Kin, I know how useful /Kin can be on a team. Problem is I feel like I am constantly applying speed boost instead of fighting. If I expand my teams buffs to see when it wears off, all those buffs take up a lot of screen, so I keep it closed and reapply around every 2 minutes. Seems I am trying to get into range of spread out teammates to apply it and using 30 sec of every 2 minutes to apply it. What is the correct way applying this buff while still maintaining some dps?

I apply SB when running from one pack to the next. When I refresh siphon speed sometimes I may reapply it as well, to be sure. I may reapply it if there have been a significant amount of deaths.

SB lasts 2 min, is a large aoe, and has a short animation time. If it consumes 1/4 of your animation time, something is very abnormal.

1 minute ago, Echo Chamber said:

Seems I am trying to get into range of spread out teammates to apply it and using 30 sec of every 2 minutes to apply it

It is not the job of corruptors and defenders to chase teammates down to apply buffs; it is the job of teammates to stick near you. If they don't stick near you, it means they have made a rational decision to pass on your buffs.

Often, corrs and fenders mistakenly play with a "supportive" mindset and believe their duty is to follow teammates around like a buff-puppy on a leash. This could not be further from the truth. Look at the names of these AT's: Corruptors corrupt. Defenders defend, and military experts agree that the best defense is a good offense, therefore the job of a defender is to murder things. If you were meant to dutifully follow teammates to the ends of the earth applying buffs, your AT would be called the Waiter or Butler.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

This. Lob speed boosts at the main team scrum whenever. Don't lose too much sleep ensuring everyone has it all the time.

My Kin corruptors main job (DP/Kin) is to get into melee range 1.5 seconds after the main tank*, pop Fulcrum Shift to buff everyone in range (before the blasters blow up my fuel) then unload AoE chaos. Maybe pop a heal & end heal then help clean up whatevers left.

As that's happening Ill likely double tap my macro to target, sb and id my allies while they finish off the bosses.

* If the main tank is too slow I'll likely run in anyway. Playing a DP/Kin as scrapperlock is hugely entertaining.

Edited by Carnifax
  • Thumbs Up 1

You are the dps on your team. When you are capped you do more damage than a blaster. Your buffs just happen to apply to others. 

Apply sb and increased density between mobs if you can, but don't worry about it too much. As others have said, the important thing is to follow the tank in and get a good fulcrum shift off and then inferno/fireball. If your defense and resists are good enough you don't need the tank.

• 3 weeks later
On 12/4/2022 at 3:13 PM, Echo Chamber said:

I made a Fire/Kin, I know how useful /Kin can be on a team. Problem is I feel like I am constantly applying speed boost instead of fighting. If I expand my teams buffs to see when it wears off, all those buffs take up a lot of screen, so I keep it closed and reapply around every 2 minutes. Seems I am trying to get into range of spread out teammates to apply it and using 30 sec of every 2 minutes to apply it. What is the correct way applying this buff while still maintaining some dps?

You'll get many answers - mine is that you do your thing, and buff teammates when it's convenient for you.  You can be a "helicopter parent" and chase down each and every team member to make sure they're buffed, but at some point, you have to let those that break off from the rest of the team know that you're not going to be their personal guardian angel and follow them around like some loyal puppy...