Add +Absorb to Elec Armor -> Power Sink

10 minutes ago, BrandX said:

I thought of Fire Armor's recent +100% Regen (unenhanceable) in it's passive, so I put Preventive Medicine level Absorb as the suggestion and combined it with a bit of wishful wishing on mine 🙂

I like the idea. I went with putting the Absorb in a click so it's more reliable.

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

8 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I still don't think it's necessary, but IF it was actually shown that the set underperforms defensively then maybe something sort of similar to the new Shocked mechanic with Electrical Blast:

Using Power Sink on mobs with less than 50% of their Endurance gives you a chance for +Absorb, and the chance increases the lower their Endurance is. Perhaps DON'T have it scale with number of mobs, so that it can be strong enough to be valuable even against a single foe.

I like this! Very dynamic and unique. If having it available all the time is too strong then I would back this 100%.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

2 minutes ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

I like the idea. I went with putting the Absorb in a click so it's more reliable.

Well my idea gave more +RCH/+Slow Resist, which would help in survival too, because it brings Energize back a little faster

3 minutes ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

I like this! Very dynamic and unique. If having it available all the time is too strong then I would back this 100%.

The downside would be that mobs that can’t be End drained would prevent you from getting your absorb. In particular a problem against many AVs and GMs…

On 12/10/2022 at 11:54 PM, Spaghetti Betty said:

[...]Rad Armor.

-Capped Res to all except Cold and Psi

[...]

[...]Dark Armor

-It can also hard cap most resists except NRG

Elec can pretty trivially cap all resists except Negative and Toxic, and can get Negative resist up to nearly 70% in the process.

ElA's weaknesses have traditionally been its lack of built-in HP management and its toxic damage hole. The "self-healing hole" has been filled a bit since Energize is now a pretty hefty heal (on an equally hefty cooldown).

Would I mind if Elec got buffed? Heck no, it's one of my favorite sets in the game, buffs are always welcome. Do I think it needs a buff? No, it's already a really strong resistance set, especially on tankers. Is Radiation Armor better? Yeah, most of the time, but that's like comparing a gold medalist to a bronze medalist at the Olympics. Sure, a gold medal's better, but any medal at all is still pretty great.

Power Surge does suck, though. I think most of the armor T9s need to be overhauled, but especially any that still have an HP crash.

My pie-in-the-sky never-going-to-happen total fantasy wishlist change for Power Surge would be to turn it into damage booster with a built-in downside that plays with one of the set's nominal strengths: Rather than boosting resistances (which ElA doesn't need 99% of the time), instead have it apply -80% or so (tanker values, reduced for Scrappers/Stalkers since their cap is lower) energy damage resistance debuff (maybe enhancable with resistance sets to push that down to -50% or so, so it doesn't break current builds); then have it apply a Hybrid-like energy damage proc to all of your attacks for the duration. It's still an "Oh Shit" power, but it changes it from an "Oh shit, I need to cap negative energy defense" to "Oh shit, I need to kill this stuff fast so it doesn't kill me!"

Since Power Surge turns you into an energy gremlin, it stands to reason that outside sources of energy should disrupt it but at the same time--you're an energy gremlin, that shouldn't just be for defense. It would also give the set a reason to have hilariously over-capped energy resistance and make it less of a carbon-copy of Unstoppable with 'smashing/lethal' and 'psi' scribbled over with 'energy' and 'toxic.'

8 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

The downside would be that mobs that can’t be End drained would prevent you from getting your absorb. In particular a problem against many AVs and GMs…

I feel like that's just fine. From my experience, the hardest part of an AV is that the initial opening of the encounter ends up being the toughest part of the fight, since you have to worry about not only the AV itself, but the mob that surrounds it. An AV is a lot less intimidating by itself. The same goes for most GMs. Just big sacks of HP.

6 minutes ago, PoptartsNinja said:

Elec can pretty trivially cap all resists except Negative and Toxic, and can get Negative resist up to nearly 70% in the process.

ElA's weaknesses have traditionally been its lack of built-in HP management and its toxic damage hole. The "self-healing hole" has been filled a bit since Energize is now a pretty hefty heal (on an equally hefty cooldown).

Would I mind if Elec got buffed? Heck no, it's one of my favorite sets in the game, buffs are always welcome. Do I think it needs a buff? No, it's already a really strong resistance set, especially on tankers. Is Radiation Armor better? Yeah, most of the time, but that's like comparing a gold medalist to a bronze medalist at the Olympics. Sure, a gold medal's better, but any medal at all is still pretty great.

Power Surge does suck, though. I think most of the armor T9s need to be overhauled, but especially any that still have an HP crash.

My pie-in-the-sky never-going-to-happen total fantasy wishlist change for Power Surge would be to turn it into damage booster with a built-in downside that plays with one of the set's nominal strengths: Rather than boosting resistances (which ElA doesn't need 99% of the time), instead have it apply -80% or so (tanker values, reduced for Scrappers/Stalkers since their cap is lower) energy damage resistance debuff (maybe enhancable with resistance sets to push that down to -50% or so, so it doesn't break current builds); then have it apply a Hybrid-like energy damage proc to all of your attacks for the duration. It's still an "Oh Shit" power, but it changes it from an "Oh shit, I need to cap negative energy defense" to "Oh shit, I need to kill this stuff fast so it doesn't kill me!"

Since Power Surge turns you into an energy gremlin, it stands to reason that outside sources of energy should disrupt it but at the same time--you're an energy gremlin, that shouldn't just be for defense. It would also give the set a reason to have hilariously over-capped energy resistance and make it less of a carbon-copy of Unstoppable with 'smashing/lethal' and 'psi' scribbled over with 'energy' and 'toxic.'

I always forget about the t9s!  Checked it out on test hoping it may not be that bad...oh wow...so bad...end and health drop to nothing!  Just not worth taking it imo.

Still would love that additional +Recharge and Slow Resist I suggested.  Helps defense and offense 🙂

Could make it so t9 gives smaller amount of +resist, tack on +Absorb, maybe even a bit of defense (?) and then give it the same duration/recharge as Willpower's t9, so it won't be perma, but for when things start to go south (but not to far south) or alphas every few minutes.

24 minutes ago, PoptartsNinja said:

6 minutes ago, BrandX said:

Could make it so t9 gives smaller amount of +resist, tack on +Absorb, maybe even a bit of defense (?) and then give it the same duration/recharge as Willpower's t9, so it won't be perma, but for when things start to go south (but not to far south) or alphas every few minutes.

I can see both of these ideas being combined into something super cool. Maybe it tanks NRG RES, but adds absorb since you become pure electricity? Then, as a being of pure electricity, you become as quick as lightning, and just as destructive with an added dmg proc.

5 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

I can see both of these ideas being combined into something super cool. Maybe it tanks NRG RES, but adds absorb since you become pure electricity? Then, as a being of pure electricity, you become as quick as lightning, and just as destructive with an added dmg proc.

Well, I know the power can't stop turning people into a gremlin.  I feel that can't be done.  However, that could be the buff to the set (still like the idea of more oomph on those passive +RCH powers), being a rework of the t9.

Not sure it needs to drop Energy Resist, being a being of pure energy.

+5-20% (Scrapper values) Resist All (maybe except Psi, since it doesn't give Psi Resist)

+Absorb (no idea of the value)

+5-20% Defense All (another possible except Psi situation...tho Defense all would still put positional defense)

+DMG Proc the same as Brimstone.

+Recovery

Then when it crashes, instead of total health and endurance drop...how about -15 to 50 End (so if one isn't paying attention they can still drop depending on build) and maybe -Recovery for 10 seconds where they can rely on Power Surge to save them in that area (and a few IOs for sure)

I think this is a tough one.

Let's assume, for a moment, that the set is shown to be underperforming.

It would be cool if the change was made not to Power Sink but instead to the t9. BUT it would be a bummer if the t9 was no longer 3 minutes of looking like an Electricity Demon.

So I'm not really sure what the best suggestion would be.

On 12/13/2022 at 8:35 PM, Wavicle said:

It would be cool if the change was made not to Power Sink but instead to the t9.

I've let the discourse marinate in my head a bit, and after watching the discussion move from Power Sink to Power Surge, I'm beginning to think this is the way.

When I originally thought of the idea, the T9 wasn't on my radar at all. Totally a personal oversight; a lot of T9s are useless at best so it's easier in my head to pretend they don't exist. So, if adding something to Power Sink is not the way to go, then I'll concede and change my suggestion to rework Power Surge.

The FX of Power Surge is honestly the best part. It's super cool. I would never want that changed. As far as performance goes,

On 12/13/2022 at 9:24 AM, BrandX said:

+5-20% (Scrapper values) Resist All (maybe except Psi, since it doesn't give Psi Resist)

+Absorb (no idea of the value)

+5-20% Defense All (another possible except Psi situation...tho Defense all would still put positional defense)

+DMG Proc the same as Brimstone.

+Recovery

Then when it crashes, instead of total health and endurance drop...how about -15 to 50 End (so if one isn't paying attention they can still drop depending on build) and maybe -Recovery for 10 seconds where they can rely on Power Surge to save them in that area (and a few IOs for sure)

I think I'm digging this the most, but I would swap out the +RES (something that has been repeatedly stated the set doesn't need) for a hefty +RECH instead. This I feel would stay true to the nature of the set (Lightning Devil), while still offering a way out of death that the base kit doesn't already bring.

Edited by Spaghetti Betty

8 hours ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

I've let the discourse marinate in my head a bit, and after watching the discussion move from Power Sink to Power Surge, I'm beginning to think this is the way.

When I originally thought of the idea, the T9 wasn't on my radar at all. Totally a personal oversight; a lot of T9s are useless at best so it's easier in my head to pretend they don't exist. So, if adding something to Power Sink is not the way to go, then I'll concede and change my suggestion to rework Power Surge.

The FX of Overload is honestly the best part. It's super cool. I would never want that changed. As far as performance goes,

I think I'm digging this the most, but I would swap out the +RES (something that has been repeatedly stated the set doesn't need) for a hefty +RECH instead. This I feel would stay true to the nature of the set (Lightning Devil), while still offering a way out of death that the base kit doesn't already bring.

I'd leave it in a bit for those who don't IO out the builds, but that could be a reason to keep the Resist on the lower side and Defense on the higher side.  However, the idea that you're now living lightning is why I feel Defense All works.

Keeping the resist in also keeps current slot options, why adding more.

Adding more +RCH on it, likely wouldn't hurt it any.

300-600 Second Recharge (static, can't be changed) and 120 Second Duration as a living gremlin, I do feel people may take as long as they know they can survive the crash.  -Recovery for 10 seconds and -Set Amound of Endurance, that isn't all Endurance, should be survivable.

3 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

At this point though I think it becomes part of the larger discussion about the remaining big crash t9s. Unstoppable, Power surge, Overload, Elude, and Kuji in Retsu (am I forgetting any?) should all be modified to have smaller crashes with equivalent levels of power.

The usual caveat that sets like Invul and Super Reflexes are clearly in good overall shape, don't need any more damage mitigation tools, and that their crashing T9s are important in PvP.