Why is Assault Rifle bad, and how could it be better?

Weylin

9 minutes ago, Rudra said:

You're right. AR's snipe is 2.904 seconds. As opposed to Psychic Blast's snipe at 3.0 seconds and the other snipes at 3.33+ seconds. AR isn't slow. Even quick form AR snipe is average for cast time since it actually gets time added to its cast time to make up for how insanely fast it would otherwise be without the interrupt time. (Edit: I otherwise agree with you that AR rocks.)

Well, the quick form is what people usually compare.

However, it does seem you have a point, because the 2.904s I remembered is the slow (out of combat) cast time. Cod claims that quick snipe is only 1.716s. Which, while still slower than many of the best snipes (compare zapp at 1.33 for eg) is not bad in absolute terms.

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=blaster_ranged.assault_rifle.sniper_rifle&at=blaster

So I stand corrected.

6 hours ago, Rudra said:

Build Up is melee and Aim is ranged. Blasters and Corruptors get Aim. Also, the loss of Aim in AR is not a "major" issue. As for cast times?

Archery T1:             Aimed Shot: 1.67 cast time.

Assault Rifle T1:        Burst: 1.0 cast time.

Beam Rifle T1:         Charged Shot: 1.67 cast time.

Dark Blast T1:         Dark Blast: 1.0 cast time.

Dual Pistols T1:       Dual Wield: 1.67 cast time.

Electrical Blast T1:   Charged Bolts: 1.0 cast time.

Energy Blast T1:      Power Blast: 1.67 cast time.

Fire Blast T1:           Fire Blast: 1.67 cast time.

Ice Blast T1:            Ice Blast: 1.67 cast time.

Psychic Blast T1:      Mental Blast: 1.67 cast time.

Radiation Blast T1:  Neutrino Bolt: 1.0 cast time.

Seismic Blast T1:      Encase: 1.0 cast time.

Sonic Attack T1:      Scream: 1.47 cast time.

Water Blast T1:        Aqua Bolt: 1.0 cast time.

All data pulled from City of Data.

I just started with the T1s. I can do the T2s through T9s too. Assault Rifle has the fastest cast times. Especially when you get to the snipe.

This is misleading, iirc all (blaster specifically) T1s should be 1s, and T2s 1.67s. Whats weird is that some sets (melee ones too) have swapped positions for the T1 / T2 so the fast one is sometimes the t2 and the slower one t1. You can pick either at character creation so its a bit of a toss up.

Picture below (on mobile) shows the same CoD data but for t1 and t2. Its weird how some are faster than the norm tho.

20230105_091822.thumb.jpg.b801f77ccdd4b3725ee3b4180abdd5fa.jpg

Edited by Galaxy Brain

5 hours ago, Zect said:

Though now I want to try the idea that popped into my head when I last demolished an “AR is terrible” thread: using the frozen blast immob proc in Ignite to see if I can get it to stick enemies in its own burn patch. The more I think about it, the funnier it gets.

It's funny, but not very good. It can immob multiple things if they're in the initial burst; but can't immob bosses on its own.

7 hours ago, Zect said:

Well, the quick form is what people usually compare.

However, it does seem you have a point, because the 2.904s I remembered is the slow (out of combat) cast time. Cod claims that quick snipe is only 1.716s. Which, while still slower than many of the best snipes (compare zapp at 1.33 for eg) is not bad in absolute terms.

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=blaster_ranged.assault_rifle.sniper_rifle&at=blaster

So I stand corrected.

Quick form snipes run 1 of 2 times: either 1.33 or 1.67. The sole exception to that is sniper rifle at 1.5. Which is literally the average of the other two times. (Edit: For clarification, you are comparing Sniper Rifle with arcanatime to other sniper attacks without arcanatime. The 1.33 attack you are citing is 1.584 with arcanatime. Sniper Rifle's 1.5 attack is 1.716 with arcanatime. And the slower snipes at 1.67 second attacks are 1.848 with arcanatime. Putting sniper rifle at exactly average between the two types regardless of whether arcanatime is factored or not.)

Edited by Rudra
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Galaxy Brain said:

This is misleading, iirc all (blaster specifically) T1s should be 1s, and T2s 1.67s. Whats weird is that some sets (melee ones too) have swapped positions for the T1 / T2 so the fast one is sometimes the t2 and the slower one t1. You can pick either at character creation so its a bit of a toss up.

Picture below (on mobile) shows the same CoD data but for t1 and t2. Its weird how some are faster than the norm tho.

20230105_091822.thumb.jpg.b801f77ccdd4b3725ee3b4180abdd5fa.jpg

Good point. However, my point still stands. AR is not slower than other sets.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I don't even bother using Ignite.  I think the damage it does is just awful even when you max out its damage or load it with procs.  You're better off just cycling between Burst and Slug instead of losing a power pick.  Ignite has less damage and less utility than even Burst or Slug by them selves but then again this is just my opinion.

Edited by Tater Todd
  • Like 1