RE: Leadership toggles

JasperStone

46 minutes ago, Astralock said:

No.

Pretty much this.

Leadership powers are very expensive endurance wise for how little they do because they affect your entire team and not just yourself.

They only real reason you want them on a blaster ever is if you are going something very specifically focused which needs either the small defence boost from maneuvers or the slots on it. Assault will give you like 10 damage per attack at best and tactics isn't usually necessary on blasters due to most of the sets they go for having accuracy bonuses. That being said, Gaussians 6 slot on tactics can be useful in some builds because of the defence boost and build up proc.

The fighting pool (Tough and Weave) however is generally worth taking because the benefits are much higher vs endurance cost.

• Thumbs Down 1

Maneuvers and veng are good places for LOTGs  or other def IOs and 2 or 3 slotted tactics with HOs makes a huge difference when enemies have -tohit. 

There are many ways to build a blaster, but Musc alpha proc heavy builds need a lot of rech and leadership is a slot efficient way to get some.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dark Juggernaut said:

That being said, Gaussians 6 slot on tactics can be useful in some builds because of the defence boost and build up proc.

This is true for characters that don't have an aim or build up power. The reason is in aim or buildup since they have a base recharge of 90 seconds, you'll have a 90% proc rate for the gaussian proc. In tactics, its useful on a MM or characters that essentially only get used in large leagues due to guassians ability to proc increases based on the number of allows affected by tactics. So if you are a solo blaster, it's hardly going to be going off in tactics.

I pretty much never take assault on blasters, since it's such a small bonus compared to all their others. Maneuvers and tactics sometimes, mostly because of the fact that blasters have enough end management to easily run the toggles, and maneuvers is a good place for a lotg recharge, and as others have said if you don't have aim/buildup in your kit tactics can be decent. Usually the reason I end up taking them is to hit certain defense benchmarks, if I'm building a more scrappy blaster. The 4% defense from maneuvers and 1.88% smash/lethal defense you can get from 2-slotting tactics (rectified reticle) can sometimes make the difference in hitting the soft-cap or not.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I will usually run Stealth, Hasten and then some of the Leadership powers like Maneuvers and Tactics and I can also pick up Vengeance for a nice situational power that can be a lotg mule.  Typically I'll end up weighing my options for defense toggles from pools and usually Stealth and Maneuvers wins out just ahead of Combat Jumping, that is if I can manage the endurance cost which should be no problem for blasters. 

Leadership powers are just so good for most all of what you're going to be doing in this game and sometimes even solo.  There's a reason why you'd see coordinated power teams back on live with every character having Leadership. 

There's a good 5-6 power pools and Leadership is typically in my top 4 on just about all of my characters.     

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Leadership toggles are highly beneficial to blasters, despite poor scalar values.

• Maneuvers provides defense and an lotg mule. As an unarmored AT, it is much harder to get 5x lotgs if you are not taking leadership. Stealth is the next-best choice, however the benefits of stealth (the toggle) do not outweigh those of multiple leadership toggles combined.
  • Tactics provides tohit. Tactics and a kismet proc enables blasters to get +20% tohit, which gains bonus damage from quick snipes, an undocumented feature some blasters are unaware of. A tactics-boosted quick snipe forms the core ST dps capacity of many blast sets.
  • Vengeance provides an lotg mule and wipe prevention, a capability that most blasters have difficulty getting. If someone dies, you venge and make it very hard for the rest of the team to die. Vengeance is powerful; a whopping 20% def to all, 35% tohit (punches through nemesis veng, cimerorans' shout of battle and HM critters' own higher def) and 45% damage.
  • Assault is the weakest pick from the set, but still not bad. You can say it's only 10%, but you're also a 1.125 ranged damage scalar AT, and you add to the entire team's damage.

Leadership toggles enable blasters to convert their large number of excess power picks and end (from their sustain power) into combat ability. Many armored AT's have a harder time running anything more than maneuvers. Being able to run leadership with comparatively little care is part of blasters' advantage over them.

Edited by Zect
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2023 at 7:20 PM, Psyonico said:

Well,

<snip> ... The real question is, what are you forgoing to take Assault Leadership?

This in a nutshell is what it boils down to just like the vast majority of power picks it comes down to what works for your build.  There's several good reasons in this thread to take one or more Leadership powers.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Leadership (and Maneuvers, obvi), yes. Assault, no thanks. Tactics helps with perception debuffs (one less to worry about) and gives some slotting flexibility. Maneuvers for that sweet, LotG proc. With the various sustains, one power pick + 2 slots provides ~3% def across the board and 7.5 recharge. Not the worst ROTI. Lots of good knowledge here. And really, how many *extra* attacks do you need? 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.