Best way to fill KB hole in DA?

doc_miller

Between the Karma knockback protection IO (Defense), the Steadfast Protection knockback protection IO (Resistance) and the Blessing of the Zephyr knockback protection IO (Travel) you can get 12 points of protection slotting into powers that you probably already have in your build.    12 points is more than enough, as was said earlier having just 4 points protects you from most things.   

Karma can go into Shadow Cloak or Combat Jumping.  Steadfast Protection can go into any of your armor toggles such as Dark Embrace, and Blessing of the Zephyr can go in Combat Jumping, Super Jump, Super Speed, Hover, Fly or Teleport among others - you probably have at least one of those.

There are all single IOs.  Knockback Protection is also available as a Set Bonus in Gladiator's Armor and Kinetic Crash sets, but if you want the easiest way then the single IOs are the way to go.

There can be no defense like elaborate courtesy - E.V. Lucas

My AE arcs:

Ex Machina, the story of the Tin Mage Corps.  Arc ID #11781

-KB is also baked into several sets.  Standard reminder that you can use the Set Bonus Finder tool in Pines to look this up.

• Kinetic Crash, -3 at 4 IOs, which you probably don't have a use for.
  • Fury of the Gladiator, -3 at 3, which is a PBAOE damage set with a -Res proc you probably want.  This can go into Death Shroud, Dark Regeneration, or an actual attack.
  • Gladiator's Armor, -3 at 3, which is a Resist set.  You're already taking the set unique, so it's pretty easy to fit this into e.g. Obsidian Shield.
  • Gladiator's Javelin, -3 at 5, which you are unlikely to manage.  If you happen to have one or more ranged attacks you plan to slot, there are better sets for you.
  • Overwhelming Force, -4 at 6; a bit of a commitment but the proc is great for Death Shroud, so if you can use the other set bonuses it's not bad.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

Also as I recall from Live you either want to have mag 4 KB protection or go all the way to 12... there was a long discussion on the old forums about it and pretty much anything that could beat Mag 4 KB would also beat Mag 8 making it of very limited utility.  The thumb rule for sets without KB protection was one KB IO or go to 3 of them, don't waste money and slots on just two.

Or, of course, you can go the Combat Jumping/Super Jump/Acrobatics route at the cost of another power pick and the endurance to run another toggle... not really something Dark needs.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

IMO, the best way is to use the Blessing of the Zephyr 4 KB protection IO. It can be slotted into travel powers, so you don't really have to burn a slot (unless you really need to Super Jump, just a little bit further), can be slotted into Combat Jumping (which would take you to 8 KB protection, then decide where you want your last bit of protection to come from (based off of other sets). From my experiences 12+ KB is the magic number for Tanking, or just keeping your feet on the ground, no matter what/what AT you are. YMMV

Get rid of Acrobatics if you can.

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

Not only did I miss this game, but I missed the forums.  This was exactly a question on my mind this morning and the level of supportive, thoughtful engagement from the community, with the minimum of trolling, is hard to find anywhere else.  Thank you all for being awesome.

IMO, the best way is to use the Blessing of the Zephyr 4 KB protection IO. It can be slotted into travel powers, so you don't really have to burn a slot (unless you really need to Super Jump, just a little bit further), can be slotted into Combat Jumping (which would take you to 8 KB protection, then decide where you want your last bit of protection to come from (based off of other sets). From my experiences 12+ KB is the magic number for Tanking, or just keeping your feet on the ground, no matter what/what AT you are. YMMV

Get rid of Acrobatics if you can.

Ah, I completely forgot about the option of Hover tanking.  Since the only tank I had on Live without built in KB protection was Fire and hovering didn't let you use Burn (although I believe that changed towards the end) it wasn't something that came to mind.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler