Master Debuffer?

Spankea

Arguably Thermal's 2 best powers are its 2 killer debuffs (the T8 & T9).

Poison, Rad is probably the most famous debuff set, Storm brings both offense and debuffs, technically even Kin debuffs enemies. Just depends on your playstyle/concept.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Re: speed; The thing about debuffing is that you don't need them on a team that's steamrolling thru mobs, except when you run into an EB, AV, or the occasional tough Boss. so it doesn't really matter how fast they are. The times when they are the most useful are when things are slow and your debuffs will serve to speed things up. If things are already moving quickly don't bother with debuffs and just attack or buff.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

39 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Re: speed; The thing about debuffing is that you don't need them on a team that's steamrolling thru mobs, except when you run into an EB, AV, or the occasional tough Boss. so it doesn't really matter how fast they are. The times when they are the most useful are when things are slow and your debuffs will serve to speed things up. If things are already moving quickly don't bother with debuffs and just attack or buff.

This, exactly. Don't matter how long they take to apply if you're just blasting through content. My Rad characters never apply their debuff toggles until we hit a hard EB/AV. I'd hardly call TA slow either, imo. And it's big debuffs aren't needed on regular mobs. Flash is up fast enough to use for every mob, which is about all you need anyhow. Traps is often considered a slow set, but I play it like Captain mentions. You don't need every tool for every situation.

You can typically gauge how your team is doing and how fast/slow the mobs are being mowed down to determine which debuffs you need and when. Even with poison you're probably not applying Envenom and w/e the name of the other one is every fight.

• Thumbs Up 2

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Love Trick Arrow for debuffs.  Not sure how it could be called slow either.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

I'm planning to make a TA but haven't even selected the AT for it.  I main an earth/dark troller so plenty of time spent positioning and timing pulls so all the mobs come running into it.  It seems poison is the happy median for variable speed.

I am on a Dark Dark Dark.  To me it has incredible layered debuffs.  Layering is common in Dark sets.  A Dark Armor melee is a study in woven defenses.  

Dark has massive to hit debuffs.  It has ST regen debuffs.  It has -res.  It also does nice stun/KB-KD/immobilize/fear.  It has a -to hit/-dam toggle ST debuff.  I find it a vicious enough  to go in first as a Tank against groups in BAF Lambda etc.  with little care if any teammates show up to help.  Because once i debuff i switch into Blaster mode

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Astralock said:

Trick Arrow is the best debuff power set in the game.  Better than Cold, IMO.

11 hours ago, Jiro Ito said:

Love Trick Arrow for debuffs.  Not sure how it could be called slow either.  

Dual Pistols/Trick Arrow seems like a really cool concept toon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

Fire or Cold would be the best ones to pair with the TA yes.  Cold for more damage and better single target damage.  Fire for strong ST damage and great aoe damage plus you'll want to mainly build Fire attacks with sets since its more beneficial to use sets instead of just all out procing.  

TA is a great debuffer set, tons of aoe debuffs and you get some very special stuff in Acid Arrow and Ice Arrow that'll make yours and everyone else's stuff much more potent.  Take all the arrows that you can, if you must skip any Glue and Net would be the ones.  And you'll want to set up some target location binds so you can get those arrows out fast.  The debuffs last usually a minute so you don't need to spam your arrows since they won't stack on each other but rather get them all out then get into your attack chain until you need to move again which the arrows will recharge fast to travel well with you.  

Edited by Mezmera
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Mezmera said:

Fire or Cold would be the best ones to pair with the TA yes.  Cold for more damage and better single target damage.  Fire for strong ST damage and great aoe damage plus you'll want to mainly build Fire attacks with sets since its more beneficial to use sets instead of just all out procing.  

TA is a great debuffer set, tons of aoe debuffs and you get some very special stuff in Acid Arrow and Ice Arrow that'll make yours and everyone else's stuff much more potent.  Take all the arrows that you can, if you must skip any Glue and Net would be the ones.  And you'll want to set up some target location binds so you can get those arrows out fast.  The debuffs last usually a minute so you don't need to spam your arrows since they won't stack on each other but rather get them all out then get into your attack chain until you need to move again which the arrows will recharge fast to travel well with you.  

I agree with all of this but I need fire damage to ignite oil patch.  I'm a debuffer at heart and it's not like me to want to play fire blast.  The only other fire set I can think offhand is water but it's debuffs are mostly -Def and at endgame you typically have the tohit/-def covered.

44 minutes ago, Spankea said:

I agree with all of this but I need fire damage to ignite oil patch.  I'm a debuffer at heart and it's not like me to want to play fire blast.  The only other fire set I can think offhand is water but it's debuffs are mostly -Def and at endgame you typically have the tohit/-def covered.

You don't need fire damage.  Energy damage also lights Oil Slick, which can be gotten from the Magic and Technology origin attacks, or from a power set like Electrical Blast.  Electrical Blast/Trick Arrow Corruptor is pretty win in the AoE department.  Then there's Sonic Attack, which is pretty win at -res.

Edited by Astralock
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

DP is pretty straight forward, but would you say TA requires a lot of binds and stuff in order to play effectively?

TA is best used with powexec_location binds whether to target a target or the cursor. Using a target, you can actually attack without LoS which is crazy but it works.

It doesn't require having a Doctorate of Bind and Macro Theory though, as you build one, it can be copied for all the locational powers that you have.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

DP is pretty straight forward, but would you say TA requires a lot of binds and stuff in order to play effectively?

Yes I HAD to learn how to bind stuff with all of those target location powers.  Once I did my TA became lots of fun to play and real good since I didn't have to fidget with pointing and dropping 3 of those powers.  Playing this made me better on all of my other characters.  

I bound the EMP, Oil and Glue arrows with the powexec_location to fire 15ft in front of me and then bound Disruption Arrow to my right mouse button so I had freedom to point it wherever needed and I use it a lot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astralock said:

You don't need fire damage.  Energy damage also lights Oil Slick, which can be gotten from the Magic and Technology origin attacks, or from a power set like Electrical Blast.  Electrical Blast/Trick Arrow Corruptor is pretty win in the AoE department.  Then there's Sonic Attack, which is pretty win at -res.

Yes and procs ignite them as well.  My DP ignites the Oil easy even when I'm not running Fire ammo.  With the Armageddon fire proc in my pbaoe nuke it always ignites the Oil patch without me ever needing to target it.  Same with any energy procs. 

9 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

Yes and procs ignite them as well.  My DP ignites the Oil easy even when I'm not running Fire ammo.  With the Armageddon fire proc in my pbaoe nuke it always ignites the Oil patch without me ever needing to target it.  Same with any energy procs. 

Yeah.  I just try not to rely on procs for stuff that should be 100%, as a proc nerf has been threatened for years.  I am sure that it's only a matter of time.

Edited by Astralock
  • Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

If you're really desperate you can even use Apprentice Charm or Taser Dart to ignite it. It doesn't take much. There are a number of temp powers that'll also do it.

Problem with temp powers is once you get to three star content they're disabled.