Basic guide for leveling in CoH.

Foxfyre

This is basically just a guide to give you your general pathway while playing through the game.  There are likely much more detailed guides out there, but if you want a quick and dirty guide this is for you!  Open to suggestions for content I missed or improvements.

Which zones to be in for which levels:

Hero Side

Levels 1-5: Atlas Park missions or street sweeping or sewer runs.

• Death from Below Trial

Levels 5-10: Hollows missions or Kings Row missions/radios.

Levels 10-15: Hollows missions or Steel Canyon missions/radios or Skyway City missions/radios. 

• Positron TF 1 & 2

• Cavern of Transcendence Trial (12-15)

Levels 15-20: Fautline missions or Steel Canyon missions/radios or Skyway City missions/radios. 

• Synapse TF

• Drowning in Blood Trial (15-50)

Levels 20-25: Fautline missions or Striga Isle missions or Talos missions/radios or Independence Port missions/radios.

• Penelope Yin TF. 

• Moonfire TF. (23-28)

Levels 25-30: Striga Isle missions or Croatoa missions or Talos missions/radios or Independence Port missions/radios. 

• Citadel TF. 

• Ernesto Hess TF.

• Twilights Son TF. (Ouroboros) (25-34)

• Terra Volta Respec Trial 1 (24-33)

Levels 30-35: Croatoa missions or Founders Falls missions/radios or Brickstown missions/radios

• Katie Hannon TF

• Manticore TF

• Mender Lazarus TF (Ouroboros) (30-39)

Levels 35-40: Founders Falls missions/radios or Brickstown missions/radios.  Also this would be a good point to start running Task Forces if you haven’t already.

• Numina TF

• Imperious TF (35-50)

• Lady Grey TF (35-50)

• Terra Volta Respec Trial 2 (34-44)

• Abandoned Sewers Trial (38-40)

• Eden Trial (39-41)

Levels 40-50: Ouroboros Missions or Peregrine Island missions, or Task Forces you haven’t run yet or End game content.

• Ms. Liberty TF (45-50)

• Dr. Kahn TF

• Mender Silos (Ouroboros) (46-50)

• Terra Volta Repec Trial 3 (44-50)

• Apex TF (Incarnate Content)

• Tin Mage TF (Incarnate Content)

• Dr. Quaterfield TF (Shadowshard)

• Sara Moore TF (Shadowshard)

• Justin Augustine TF (Shadow Shard)

• Faathim the Kind TF (Shadow Shard)

Villain Side

Levels 1-5: Mercy Island

• Death from Below Trial

Levels 5-10: Mercy Island/Port Oakes

Levels 10-15: Port Oakes/Cap Au Diable

Levels 15-20: Cap Au Diable

• Virgil Tarikoss Strike Force

• Drowning in Blood Trial (15-50)

Levels 20-25: Sharkhead Isle

• Silver Mantis Strike Force

• Tree of Thorns Respec Trial 1 (24-33)

Levels 25-30: Sharkhead Isle/Nerva Archipelago

• Renault Strike Force

• Mortimer Kal Strike Force (20-40)

Levels 30-40: Nerva Archipelago/St. Martial

• Ice Mistral Strike Force

• Tree of Thorns Respec Trial 2 (34-44)

• Imperious Task Force (35-50)

• Lady Grey Task Force (35-50)

Levels 40-50: Grandeville

• Barracude Strike Force (45-50)

• Lord Recluse Strike Force (45-50)

• Tree of Thorns Respec Trial 3 (44-50)

• Apex (Incarnate Content)

• Tin Mage (Incarnate Content)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love guides like this.  Thanks for putting it together...

+1 Inf

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Thank you! Do you know of any guides to worthwhile story arcs and contacts? It all feels very hit and miss.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Thank you! Do you know of any guides to worthwhile story arcs and contacts? It all feels very hit and miss.

Shinobu put together a quick list of some great arcs in the game.  If you like it, please "Give Inf" to her, she's worth it!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,4137.msg30550.html#msg30550

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Basic BASIC guide for levelling in CoH:

[*]Play the game, however you want to.

[*]When your purple bar fills up all the way, and then turns into an empty bar and you get a big green arrow and huge explosion... go visit your nearest trainer on the map (green person icon)

[*]There is no step three.

• Like 1
I'm out.

You should add for 20-30 First Ward (co-op hero and villain) and 30-39 Night Ward (also co-op; note that the zone caps at 35 but the instanced content is available to 39).

20-40 also includes the Admiral Sutter TF for heroes which is a hint of praetorian shenanigans.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

• 4 weeks later

Note that your listed level caps on the Abandoned Sewers Trial and Eden Trial are incorrect. They were capped at those numbers on live, but on Homecoming, both trials cap out at 50, meaning that Incarnate players have their +1 level shift and Incarnate powers fully available.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

If this is is about leveling from 1 to 50, you should exclude Apex and Tin Mage because only a 50 can join those 2.

If this is about leveling from 1 to 50 and beyond, there are all the incarnate trials as well.

You mention radio/paper and bank missions, but not tips and morality.  Those are my "filler" content while leveling, especially if I've done the major arcs.

I would also include the SSA1 and SSA2 tfs.

Good stuff. 

For edit type stuff - I'd be consistent with listen level ranges for tfs/sfs.  Most have levels listed, not all.

For solo leveling from 40-50 and even beyond, the "Signature Arc" on Steel Canyon has a first mission that I found gives great XP, pretty much averaging 1 level every couple of times you do it and what I like about is that since you enter/exit through the train, you're not too far from things you might need like vendors, base portal in Talos, etc. I just stop short of completing it, quit to character select, and re-enter.

• 6 months later
  • 3 weeks later