Ventura 13.3 Update broke Homecoming Launcher

burgundyblue

Been troubleshooting this for a few days, uninstalling Wine, the launcher, etc. Has anyone else updated to 13.3 and have the game just up and break? When I open CoH Launcher, it stays on the dock for a bit and then disappears. However, there will be 5 or 6 wine64 items in Activity Monitor that are just sitting there, taking up processing.

Any ideas?

Looks like a Wine issue with MacOS Ventura.  https://www.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming/comments/1261ic4/problem_with_running_wine64_at_macos_after/

Wine-Devel has a fix, prob. not useful to say "hold off on that update, folks", but that.  Wine-Dev branch has the fix if you want to try to fix it on your own.

I am not a chat bot, I think.  I just drink a lot of caffeine and type too damn much.

Coming back to Homecoming?  Welcome home!  Here’s a Field Guide!

Can confirm this issue on my system.  Exactly as described in OP, wine64-preloader stalls and "Launch CoH" exits without the client loading.  Successive runs just opens another copy of wine64-preloader.

My Mac isn't the primary driver I use to game on, thankfully.

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.

• 2 weeks later

In Privacy and Security, did you give Launch CoH permission to open files and folders? 
949733782_Screenshot2023-04-15at6_15_01PM.png.6419ed5b50501e2d37d642abba63b6a0.png

Full disk access should not need to be enabled.  I have it off on my Mac, and it runs fine without it.  I think the most critical permission is Network Volumes, since Wine reaches the COH folder in Applications as a Z: drive (I could be wrong.)

Edited by Tock

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.

• 3 weeks later
  • Game Master
On 4/16/2023 at 5:50 PM, SuperheroRobot said:

I uninstalled "Launch CoH" app and "coh" folder. Then downloaded from here today (when I posted this): https://islandrum.powermad.net/mac-installer.zip

and installed... and now the game loads up just fine! I had uninstalled and downloaded 4 days ago, but it didn't work that time...

thanks!

Little known fact about that installer, it does try to repair permissions to the best of its ability.  So sometimes a reinstall helps.

Mac expert and designer of Homecoming for Mac.

On 5/5/2023 at 3:30 PM, GM Manga said:

Little known fact about that installer, it does try to repair permissions to the best of its ability.  So sometimes a reinstall helps.

Did you change your host? I thought you used something else before? Not that it Matters, but curious.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 5 weeks later
  • Game Master
On 5/7/2023 at 3:19 PM, WanderingAries said:

Did you change your host? I thought you used something else before? Not that it Matters, but curious.

I'm migrating away from eekstudio.com because unfortunately someone else has that name copyrighted.

Mac expert and designer of Homecoming for Mac.

7 minutes ago, GM Manga said:

I'm migrating away from eekstudio.com because unfortunately someone else has that name copyrighted.

Well that's rude of them 😛

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)