Psi without Blades?

Siddha

Hello, hope you are all doing well.  I've never played this game before so I'm very new, still learning the basics.

I use the Psi Melee power set on a scrapper, but for thematic reasons would like to not use the blade powers ( just the striking. ) I'm not very far yet. 

Can I do this or are the blades completely core to the set? I'm open to ideas for the second power set if that would help. I'm mainly thinking Super Reflexes / Ninja / Willpower.  I'm even open to non psi sets but it would be neat if I could use it.

The why:  I like the Psi Striking animations and the concept is a muay thai psionic.

Edited by Siddha
  • Like 1

Thanks for responding.

I am not locked in to anything, not even scrapper.  I was just looking into a psionic / martial arts blaster that would be neat.  It would be neat to me if I actually did Psionic damage while keeping the character concept though. Kinetic Melee would also fit. 

I was really just wondering if the three Psi Blade abilities are mandatory for the set to work.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Siddha said:

I was really just wondering if the three Psi Blade abilities are mandatory for the set to work.

That’s about half of the set’s attacks, including half of its AOEs. Skipping the blades would really limit what you could do with the other primary powers. Psi Blade Sweep does more damage single target than does Mental Strike. And Greater Psi Blade is your strongest hitting attack, especially with Insight up. I think you would be significantly reducing the damage potential of the character.

All that said, welcome to the game! And skipping those powers would allow you to make many other power selections. Might want to check out the fighting pool. If you take kick, boxing, and cross punch, all those powers are buffed when taken together. You could leverage Boggle more often to turn an enemy into a damage source. And once you open Patron pools (level 35), you’ll have access to another pool of powers, for example a ranged snipe and AOE. 

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Scrapper

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/archetype.html?at=scrapper

There are many ways to build characters, and many players stress theme and concept over ideal design. Rule of Cool. And you have many, many character slots. Go nuts and see what happens. 

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

48 minutes ago, Siddha said:

I was just looking into a psionic / martial arts blaster that would be neat.

Can you clarify what you mean by this - did you mean "blaster" or "scrapper"?  You could do something like a psi blast/martial combat blaster if you wanted psi damage but also with some bare-handed attacks as well.  Could you give a little background on how you want the character to look/perform, so we can offer more suggestions...  

47 minutes ago, Nyghtmaire said:

That’s about half of the set’s attacks, including half of its AOEs. Skipping the blades would really limit what you could do with the other primary powers. Psi Blade Sweep does more damage single target than does Mental Strike. And Greater Psi Blade is your strongest hitting attack, especially with Insight up. I think you would be significantly reducing the damage potential of the character.

All that said, welcome to the game! And skipping those powers would allow you to make many other power selections. Might want to check out the fighting pool. If you take kick, boxing, and cross punch, all those powers are buffed when taken together. You could leverage Boggle more often to turn an enemy into a damage source. And once you open Patron pools (level 35), you’ll have access to another pool of powers, for example a ranged snipe and AOE. 

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Scrapper

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/archetype.html?at=scrapper

There are many ways to build characters, and many players stress theme and concept over ideal design. Rule of Cool. And you have many, many character slots. Go nuts and see what happens. 

Very cool, thank you.  I may need to look at other power set combinations. But your ideas sound fun so I may try that too! I don't know how long I'll be around so it doesn't need to be optimal.  Just looking to have some fun.  I'll do some more reading. 

43 minutes ago, biostem said:

Can you clarify what you mean by this - did you mean "blaster" or "scrapper"?  You could do something like a psi blast/martial combat blaster if you wanted psi damage but also with some bare-handed attacks as well.  Could you give a little background on how you want the character to look/perform, so we can offer more suggestions...  

I apologize, what I meant was simply that I am not totally locked into playing a Psi Melee Character yet, and that I was also looking at the Psi blast / martial combat blaster to create the character. 

Basically the character is a martial artist with Psionic Abilities, ideally it would be a melee character with some crowd control. If it did actual Psi damage that would be a bonus but crushing lethal is cool too.. Psi Blades are neat but just not into it for this character concept.

Edit:  I think Mind Control / Martial Assault Dominator would be a better fit.  Thanks everyone!

Edit 2: Maybe not!

Edited by Siddha

9 minutes ago, Siddha said:

the character is a martial artist with Psionic Abilities

There are 3 "psi blade" powers in psi melee for scrappers.  Theoretically, you could dip into the fighting pool for boxing, kick,  and cross punch, (not to mention tough and weave, which are nice to have), to make up for not taking those 3 powers.  You could then take your ancillary or ancillary power pool of choice to fill out the ranged attacks, as desired, (soul or mu mastery would work nicely, IMO).

11 minutes ago, biostem said:

There are 3 "psi blade" powers in psi melee for scrappers.  Theoretically, you could dip into the fighting pool for boxing, kick,  and cross punch, (not to mention tough and weave, which are nice to have), to make up for not taking those 3 powers.  You could then take your ancillary or ancillary power pool of choice to fill out the ranged attacks, as desired, (soul or mu mastery would work nicely, IMO).

I may try this! Thanks.  I think this is similar to what Nyghtmaire was saying. When I do this do you have a recomendation for secondary powerset for that would work best? I'm leaning towards reflexes.

1 hour ago, Siddha said:

do you have a recomendation for secondary powerset

Depending on just how strictly you want to adhere to the theme, I think super reflexes, willpower, or even energy aura, could work, (the latter representing a sort of "psi shield" that your character projects or generates around themselves).  Energy aura, in particular, includes a self heal and an end recovery power, which are quite nice.  Willpower is more about being passively tough, in that there aren't any powers you need to actively click to use - you kind of just toggle stuff on, and get additional regen, recovery, damage resistance, and defense.  Super reflexes is basically all about avoiding damage, but it has little in the way of recovering your health, should you get injured.  It's a matter of how active you want to be in your play style, and whether you want to pour everything into avoiding damage, have a layered approach to damage mitigation, or have tools you have to actively use to keep yourself in the fight.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, biostem said:

Depending on just how strictly you want to adhere to the theme, I think super reflexes, willpower, or even energy aura, could work, (the latter representing a sort of "psi shield" that your character projects or generates around themselves).  Energy aura, in particular, includes a self heal and an end recovery power, which are quite nice.  Willpower is more about being passively tough, in that there aren't any powers you need to actively click to use - you kind of just toggle stuff on, and get additional regen, recovery, damage resistance, and defense.  Super reflexes is basically all about avoiding damage, but it has little in the way of recovering your health, should you get injured.  It's a matter of how active you want to be in your play style, and whether you want to pour everything into avoiding damage, have a layered approach to damage mitigation, or have tools you have to actively use to keep yourself in the fight.

Thanks for the insight.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Siddha said:

Can I do this or are the blades completely core to the set?

Yes, you can do it, and don't let me or anyone else stop you if you are enjoying it! 🍻

Unfortunately also yes, as one of the hardest hitting ST attacks available in any scrapper primary: Greater Psi Blade is totally core to the set. The other two blades less so. Dropping MS and PBS (AoE can be had elsewhere) would be one thing, but dropping GPB would be a big loss.

I don't use Cross Punch, but unless it can hit for 2-3k (total, result includes two VR dmg procs) when it crits (before relative level mods) then it doesn't come close to GPB. The good news is that this doesn't really matter unless you want it to, so a build with MS, TKB, Conc, Boggle (optional), and ML combined with Fighting Pool is absolutely an option.

TKB is the set's best dpa attack, and its highest chance of triggering Insight.

IMO: For a Martial Artist with some Psi abilities, I'd probably go Psi/Martial on a Blaster.  Martial Combat is an amazing set, all of the kicks are superior to fighting pool attacks, Burst of Speed is endless fun, and Reaction Time is a fantastic sustain that slows opponents in a large radius. Also, Psi Blast got some love in Page 6 which just dropped this week. Haven't tried it, but I think response has been positive.

Edit: You could also flip it, if I may ride the coat-tails of  @biostem's idea. Use Psi as an explanation for a set like /EA, /SR, etc and take Martial Arts as the Primary.

Edited by InvaderStych
it was a mess and I had an idea
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

You can make a very effective Ice Melee without ice swords (except for stalkers).

You cannot make a very effective Fire Melee without fire swords.

You can make an effective Stone Melee without stone mallets (and there are also alternate animations without the mallet, yay!)

You cannot make a very effective Psionic Melee without swords.

Now, this is simply my opinion, and blah blah blah, but Psi Blade and Greater Psi Blade are really important in my eyes (not so much Psi Blade Sweep).  On the plus side, you can play around with the coloring options and try to find as neutral a color as possible (I use Bright as the coloring option, and then choose a dark color).

Who run Bartertown?

21 hours ago, Siddha said:

Thanks for responding.

I am not locked in to anything, not even scrapper.  I was just looking into a psionic / martial arts blaster that would be neat.  It would be neat to me if I actually did Psionic damage while keeping the character concept though. Kinetic Melee would also fit. 

Hello from Thailand!

Kinetic Melee on a Stalker is the best AT for that set. I love the idea of a Muay Thai fighter (I think super reflexes works for concept...cause Lerdsila!) 

I'd recommend trying out MA/SR, KM/SR, maybe even Street Justice/SR for that theme. 

Hello everyone, thank you for all of your ideas.

After messing with several combinations of AT's and powersets I eventually have come back to seeing if I can use psychic melee, even if just for fun.  Instead of using the fighting tree I was wondering if it made sense to augment to non psi-blade abilities with the force of will tree.  That way everything is Psychic/Smashing.  It looks good too.  I have my doubts about how good project will is because of it's animation time, but it's also fun for the same reason. Admittedly I don't have a heavy hitting single target attack without Greater Psi Blade.  I was thinking something like this - it plays fun running around on the test server but I know almost nothing about enhancements to go off of.  If anyone has any input or improvements I would appreciate it.

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.4.7
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Level 49 Magic Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Psionic Melee
Secondary Power Set: Willpower
Power Pool: Force of Will
Power Pool: Presence
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Hero Profile:
------------
Level 1:    Mental Strike    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    High Pain Tolerance    
 (A) Empty

Level 2:    Telekinetic Blow    
 (A) Empty

Level 4:    Project Will    
 (A) Empty

Level 6:    Mind Over Body    
 (A) Empty

Level 8:    Fast Healing    
 (A) Empty

Level 10:    Indomitable Will    
 (A) Empty

Level 12:    Weaken Resolve    
 (A) Empty

Level 14:    Wall of Force    
 (A) Empty

Level 16:    Rise to the Challenge    
 (A) Empty

Level 18:    Boggle    
 (A) Empty

Level 20:    Quick Recovery    
 (A) Empty

Level 22:    Confront    
 (A) Empty

Level 24:    Heightened Senses    
 (A) Empty

Level 26:    Mass Levitate    
 (A) Empty

Level 28:    Resurgence    
 (A) Empty

Level 30:    Strength of Will    
 (A) Empty

Level 32:    Pacify    
 (A) Empty

Level 35:    Provoke    
 (A) Empty

Level 38:    Unrelenting    
 (A) Empty

Level 41:    Unleash Potential    
 (A) Empty

Level 44:    Conserve Power    
 (A) Empty

Level 47:    Physical Perfection    
 (A) Empty

Level 49:    Hasten    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Brawl    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Critical Hit    
Level 1:    Sprint    
 (A) Empty

Level 2:    Rest    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Swift    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Health    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Hurdle    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Stamina    
 (A) Empty

------------

The best part of this game is that yes, you can do whatever you’d like. Toon might not be top tier. Toon might not even be what the class is designed to do (looking at you shitty tanks/brutes without taunt).  No choices you make will hinder your ability to do 95% of this game’s content. Can still do the other 5% too but will he hurting your team instead of helping it. 

Run psy without the swords. It will still be fine. I think the other attacks look cooler anyway. 

Edited by Thrax

On 4/29/2023 at 9:28 AM, Siddha said:

After messing with several combinations of AT's and powersets I eventually have come back to seeing if I can use psychic melee, even if just for fun.  Instead of using the fighting tree I was wondering if it made sense to augment to non psi-blade abilities with the force of will tree.  That way everything is Psychic/Smashing.  It looks good too.  I have my doubts about how good project will is because of it's animation time, but it's also fun for the same reason. Admittedly I don't have a heavy hitting single target attack without Greater Psi Blade.  I was thinking something like this - it plays fun running around on the test server but I know almost nothing about enhancements to go off of.  If anyone has any input or improvements I would appreciate it.

Yup, leaning into Force of Will is a solid idea.

One thing: You won't need Body Mastery with /WP. Slotting Performance Shifter +End into both Stamina and Quick Recovery should be more than enough. You could add a single EndMod from that set or from Power Transfer if you needed more recovery.  Also, both powers can slot the Power Transfer healing piece, which is helpful if slots are available.

If you can fit Soul or Mu into concept then you can run the snipe as your hard-hitter. With Soul you'd have Shadow Meld to cycle between your other panic buttons.

Skipping GPB still hurts my brain, but I am reasonably sure your concept has more potential than you might think.

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Like 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

19 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

Yup, leaning into Force of Will is a solid idea.

One thing: You won't need Body Mastery with /WP. Slotting Performance Shifter +End into both Stamina and Quick Recovery should be more than enough. You could add a single EndMod from that set or from Power Transfer if you needed more recovery.  Also, both powers can slot the Power Transfer healing piece, which is helpful if slots are available.

If you can fit Soul or Mu into concept then you can run the snipe as your hard-hitter. With Soul you'd have Shadow Meld to cycle between your other panic buttons.

Skipping GPB still hurts my brain, but I am reasonably sure your concept has more potential than you might think.

Thanks you for checking it out and your encouragement with the build.  I like your soul / mace idea.  I probably need to play the game more to go forward with the build.  However I've made a seperate character that has captured my imagination a little more so I may have to come back to this.  I will however play around with it on the test server to see how moonbeam flows.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2023 at 12:28 PM, Siddha said:

Hello everyone, thank you for all of your ideas.

Reveal hidden contents

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.4.7
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Level 49 Magic Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Psionic Melee
Secondary Power Set: Willpower
Power Pool: Force of Will
Power Pool: Presence
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Hero Profile:
------------
Level 1:    Mental Strike    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    High Pain Tolerance    
 (A) Empty

Level 2:    Telekinetic Blow    
 (A) Empty

Level 4:    Project Will    
 (A) Empty

Level 6:    Mind Over Body    
 (A) Empty

Level 8:    Fast Healing    
 (A) Empty

Level 10:    Indomitable Will    
 (A) Empty

Level 12:    Weaken Resolve    
 (A) Empty

Level 14:    Wall of Force    
 (A) Empty

Level 16:    Rise to the Challenge    
 (A) Empty

Level 18:    Boggle    
 (A) Empty

Level 20:    Quick Recovery    
 (A) Empty

Level 22:    Confront    
 (A) Empty

Level 24:    Heightened Senses    
 (A) Empty

Level 26:    Mass Levitate    
 (A) Empty

Level 28:    Resurgence    
 (A) Empty

Level 30:    Strength of Will    
 (A) Empty

Level 32:    Pacify    
 (A) Empty

Level 35:    Provoke    
 (A) Empty

Level 38:    Unrelenting    
 (A) Empty

Level 41:    Unleash Potential    
 (A) Empty

Level 44:    Conserve Power    
 (A) Empty

Level 47:    Physical Perfection    
 (A) Empty

Level 49:    Hasten    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Brawl    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Critical Hit    
Level 1:    Sprint    
 (A) Empty

Level 2:    Rest    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Swift    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Health    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Hurdle    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Stamina    
 (A) Empty

------------

It is currently an incredible pool.  Unleash Potential is maybe the most versatile power in the game.

Who run Bartertown?