Mastermind Pet Customization?

1 hour ago, kelika2 said:

Most of us do.

Now prepare yourself for the forum regulars repeating the same stuff everytime someone new brings it up

As one of the individuals in question, I resemble that remark.

Edit: My question is: In consideration of "Similar to the (I believe it is Controller) or even better.", what are you talking about?

Edited by Rudra

5 hours ago, Rudra said:

As one of the individuals in question, I resemble that remark.

Edit: My question is: In consideration of "Similar to the (I believe it is Controller) or even better.", what are you talking about?

Under Power Customization, Controllers can change the color of some of their pets, like the gremlins and imps.  Masterminds cannot, because their customization options are for the act of summoning rather than for the pets themselves.

22 minutes ago, ranagrande said:

Under Power Customization, Controllers can change the color of some of their pets, like the gremlins and imps.  Masterminds cannot, because their customization options are for the act of summoning rather than for the pets themselves.

Thanks for the explanation. (I don't normally play controllers.)

7 hours ago, ranagrande said:

The customization for illusion pets is pretty cool - you can have them be clones of you!

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

13 hours ago, Herotu said:

The customization for illusion pets is pretty cool - you can have them be clones of you!

Yeah, this is really nice, and if you can time a costume change properly, you may be able to get some to look different, or at least you yourself will have a different costume on.  I reckon much that permits controller/dominator pets to be customized has to do with them not having to work with the upgrade system and subsequent costume changes that mastermind pets undergo...

22 hours ago, ranagrande said:

Actually, since I have not read in full the previous arguments for and against MM customization, has this specifically been addressed?

For those unfamiliar, allow me to explain: a very large part of MM pet customization discussion revolves around *that other server's* feature, which allows full costume customization of MM pets with at least a little jank. The tolerance level for this jank varies by individual, is hence controversial and argued to death, and is not related to the OPs suggestion so let's not get too far into it.

However, this suggestion by the OP specifically uses the currently existing system for pet customization seen in controllers, where you get to choose which color they are (green fire imps, etc). How much more feasible is this? I would actually be very satisfied with just being able to choose my minion's uniforms or my robots' paint jobs. I may not need to get Clown Summoning if I can change all my thugs to wear bright pink and green.

Everlasting, even though I do not RP, as:

Doctor Hadius, Crab Spider (Main) ~ Aeronwen, Rad/Super Strength/Mu Tanker ~ Mortality Black, Time/Dual Pistols/Soul Defender ~ Vextravaganza, Illusion/Dark/Psi Controller ~ Baneframe, Robots/Time/Mace Mastermind ~ Zippy-Zap, Electric Armor/Dark Melee/Soul Tanker ~ Laser Lily, Beam Rifle/Energy Aura/Leviathan Sentinel ~ Nezumiko, Savage Melee/Bio Armor/Mu Stalker

5 minutes ago, Rigged said:

However, this suggestion by the OP specifically uses the currently existing system for pet customization seen in controllers, where you get to choose which color they are (green fire imps, etc). How much more feasible is this? I would actually be very satisfied with just being able to choose my minion's uniforms or my robots' paint jobs. I may not need to get Clown Summoning if I can change all my thugs to wear bright pink and green.

Honestly, I don't think it matters whether you wanted to change just the tint/color of a MM pet or the entire model, as each version of each pet, (base, T1 upgrade, T2 upgrade), are hard-coded into each power - you'd basically have to strip them out or otherwise re-create each iteration of each pet...

4 minutes ago, biostem said:

Honestly, I don't think it matters whether you wanted to change just the tint/color of a MM pet or the entire model, as each version of each pet, (base, T1 upgrade, T2 upgrade), are hard-coded into each power - you'd basically have to strip them out or otherwise re-create each iteration of each pet...

Are they actually hardcoded by upgrade? I had the impression the power mechanic uses GrantPower, which adds the powers to an NPC, not creates a new one with the same HP and END. 

Doctor Hadius, Crab Spider (Main) ~ Aeronwen, Rad/Super Strength/Mu Tanker ~ Mortality Black, Time/Dual Pistols/Soul Defender ~ Vextravaganza, Illusion/Dark/Psi Controller ~ Baneframe, Robots/Time/Mace Mastermind ~ Zippy-Zap, Electric Armor/Dark Melee/Soul Tanker ~ Laser Lily, Beam Rifle/Energy Aura/Leviathan Sentinel ~ Nezumiko, Savage Melee/Bio Armor/Mu Stalker

5 minutes ago, Rigged said:

Are they actually hardcoded by upgrade? I had the impression the power mechanic uses GrantPower, which adds the powers to an NPC, not creates a new one with the same HP and END.

City of Data appears to show the upgrades as incrementing different versions of the pets.  For instance, MastermindPets_Genin becomes MastermindPets_Genin_2 with the first upgrade, and MastermindPets_Genin_3 with the 2nd one, (with separate iterations for each subsequent power they get), but maybe I'm misinterpreting what is says...

(For reference: https://cod.uberguy.net/html/powerset.html?pset=mastermind_summon.ninjas&at=mastermind)

Edited by biostem

I read it the same way. Visually, using genin as the example, when you use Kuji-In Zen, the character models get added features, the Ninja Run stance and a face mask in the case of the genin. So either the pets have multiple costumes like players, and that costume is selected based on what upgrade powers have been applied, or they are different models that get called up depending on what upgrade powers are applied. Would need a dev response to know for sure though.

(Edit: The jounin get a second sword across their backs and a (new?) face mask while the oni gets an aura.)

Edited by Rudra

3 minutes ago, biostem said:

City of Data appears to show the upgrades as incrementing different versions of the pets.  For instance, MastermindPets_Genin becomes MastermindPets_Genin_2 with the first upgrade, and MastermindPets_Genin_3 with the 2nd one, (with separate iterations for each subsequent power they get), but maybe I'm misinterpreting what is says...

(For reference: https://cod.uberguy.net/html/powerset.html?pset=mastermind_summon.ninjas&at=mastermind)

No see, this is the exact reference I was using too. The mechanic I was discussing is in the upgrade power:

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=mastermind_summon.ninjas.train_ninjas&at=mastermind

This is how it (supposedly) works: The upgrade power uses GrantPower on each pet, granting for instance: Mastermind_Pets.Genin_2.Storm_Kick, Which is the Storm Kick power. The power is just called Genin_2 to make it easier to distinguish for internal reference. Can you point to me if I am mistaken and there is some mechanic which replaces Genin with Genin_2?

1 minute ago, Rudra said:

I read it the same way. Visually, using genin as the example, when you use Kuji-In Zen, the character models get added features, the Ninja Run stance and a face mask in the case of the genin. So either the pets have multiple costumes like players, and that costume is selected based on what upgrade powers have been applied, or they are different models that get called up depending on what upgrade powers are applied. Would need a dev response to know for sure though.

My instinct is that they are completely different versions - think of it like how a level 1 council rifleman may have like 2 attacks, but a level 50 has like 4 - even though they may look the same, they are completely different entities.  I agree on your last point, though.

Just now, biostem said:

My instinct is that they are completely different versions - think of it like how a level 1 council rifleman may have like 2 attacks, but a level 50 has like 4 - even though they may look the same, they are completely different entities.  I agree on your last point, though.

Uhm... I was agreeing with you, hence the "I read it the same way.". Then I added in what I believe is proof. Followed by the contemplation of the two possibilities, one of which was yours, for what may be causing that visual change....

I apologize for being less than clear.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, biostem said:

OK I think I see the issue. In https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=mastermind_summon.ninjas.kuji_in_zen&at=mastermind as part of the upgrade, the power uses GrantPower Mastermind_Pets.Genin_3.Costume1, which changes the costume. This is only for the 2nd Ninjas upgrade (Kuji-In Zen). Train Ninjas does not have an associated costume grant power.

But this does raise the question: is this costume change for the entire model, or is it one of those costumes that just adds a costume part?

2 minutes ago, Rigged said:

This is how it (supposedly) works: The upgrade power uses GrantPower on each pet, granting for instance: Mastermind_Pets.Genin_2.Storm_Kick, Which is the Storm Kick power. The power is just called Genin_2 to make it easier to distinguish for internal reference. Can you point to me if I am mistaken and there is some mechanic which replaces Genin with Genin_2?

But does the first iteration of the pet become the 2nd with the new powers?  The question isn't whether the powers are granted, but whether the resulting upgraded pet is the original one or a new entity.

8 minutes ago, biostem said:

But does the first iteration of the pet become the 2nd with the new powers?  The question isn't whether the powers are granted, but whether the resulting upgraded pet is the original one or a new entity.

No, there is no change to the actual actor. Both of these functions can also apply to the player character. The game uses GrantPower on you all the time, most prominently in the Hybrid Slot Incarnate powers and the same function also is how costume powers work.

Neither change your actual actor (the character). You are still using your own stats, etc, you just get a new power or you change your costume. This is the case even when you are playing as another character in a flashback, like the mission where you play as Tyrant Cole - GrantPower hands you a new power bar using the same mechanics and changes your costume (whole body) to Tyrant's. Once the mission is over, GrantPower fades, removing the bar and the costume.

You do have a point, however, in that the granted costume power might be a "full costume" power, overriding the minion costume entirely as opposed to just adding the sword, etc, which can include customization changes for the purposes of this thread.

I have a question then for those who happen to play on *that other server*. Does anyone know what happens there, visually, when a Ninja MM uses Kuji-In Zen to upgrade their henchmen? Did they change the upgrade power to no longer grant the costume, or does the costume only add the sword, etc?

Edited by Rigged
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/6/2023 at 9:39 AM, srmalloy said:

Damn... Now I need to add another digit to my counter for the number of separate times someone has asked for MM pet customization to be added to the game.

It's Y2K all over again.

• 5 weeks later