YOU get a gun, and YOU get a gun! EVERYBODY gets...: The SIDEARM set

SIDEARM (Pool)

Set Color: Blood Red-on-Lead Grey

You pack a quality handgun. There are many like it, but this one is yours. This is a good pick for anyone who doesn’t specialize in strong offensive powers, or wants a few more reliable ranged attacks.

1) Single Shot – as Arachnos Soldier, but weaker

Damage: Minor Lethal Recharge: Fast

2) Pistol-Whip – a melee attack with the heavy side of your gun has a minor chance to stun your opponent.

Damage: Minor Smashing Recharge: Fast

3) Serial Shots – a quick volley of gunshots in a thin cone in front of you; those you hit also suffer a minor defense debuff.

Damage: Moderate Lethal (DoT) Recharge: Fast

4) Fire-Combat Training – Your practice with firearms has paid further dividends in the form of knowing how to better defend yourself when you're on the receiving end; this is a passive ability that increases your defense against ranged attacks and resistance to Lethal damage.

5) Final Bullet – Sometimes, when the chips are down and the rest of the ammo’s been spent, a single, final shot carries the day and turns the tide. This is a very powerful attack against a single target that deals more damage the more injured the target already is; if the target survives, it will very likely be knocked down and stunned. Using this ability will impose the Spent condition, locking down Single Shot and Serial Shot for a long duration. Note that this power is unaffected by recharge enhancements.

Damage: Special Lethal Recharge: Very Long

Example Character Concept: The Weary Beaten Copper! (Vigilante Stone Armor/Super Strength/Sidearm Mutant Tanker)

Edited by AspieAnarchy
adjusted Final Bullet's penalties; color-coded attack damage-types
  • Thumbs Up 1

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem

Fire-Combat Training should only offer defense or resistance, not both... and I'd lean toward cutting the resist.  Knowing how to use a gun better doesn't make you more resistant to the effects of other shooters.  That's what a bulletproof vest is for.

Final Bullet locking down the Single Shot and Serial Shots powers makes sense.  Weakening the effects of Pistol Whip makes no sense.  Having bullets in the gun does not make it more effective when using it as a melee weapon, so having none should not make it less effective.

58 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Fire-Combat Training should only offer defense or resistance, not both... and I'd lean toward cutting the resist.  Knowing how to use a gun better doesn't make you more resistant to the effects of other shooters.  That's what a bulletproof vest is for.

I figured the resistance stood for knowing how to endure the pain, "roll with" the injury, move in a way to keep wounds from getting worse, that kind of thing - or in extreme cases, think Ozymandias catching that bullet (he got hit, he got hurt, but he managed to mitigate most of the harm). We are talking about superheroes here.

That all being said, if your basic and most important premise is that defense and resistance both would be overpowered for a Pool power, that's fair. 

58 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Final Bullet locking down the Single Shot and Serial Shots powers makes sense.  Weakening the effects of Pistol Whip makes no sense.  Having bullets in the gun does not make it more effective when using it as a melee weapon, so having none should not make it less effective.

I figured the weakening of that and Fire-Combat Training represent the character's own fatigue at least as much as being out of ammo, but as I admit I am not a real gun-expert, that's worth hearing you clarify just the same.

Part of it was also I wanted to make sure Final Bullet was REALLY a proper "'Oh-Shit'-Button" by penalizing EVERYTHING else the set has to offer. I didn't intend for people to, say, blow Final Bullet earliest chance they get and spend the rest of the time just being slap-happy with Pistol-Whip.

To be clear, I am open to editing based on feedback, but I want to hear what you have to say to the above before I make my next move.

Edited by AspieAnarchy

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

20 minutes ago, AspieAnarchy said:

Part of it was also I wanted to make sure Final Bullet was REALLY a proper "'Oh-Shit'-Button" by penalizing EVERYTHING else the set has to offer.

I get the idea of taking a penalty to use something big, but locking down other ranged attacks in that pool is significant.  Leaving the target with only the defense and a melee attack (assuming either or both are taken) doesn't negate the penalty of lost ranged attacks.

I would love a side arm set but I have a couple issues with proposed set:

Why would the final bullet do more damage than any of the others in the magazine/cylinder? 

I think a cone animation, especially on a single pistol would look clunky and unrealistic (I know, were in a superhero game where we fly, stand in lava, call meteorites, etc.)

I also had a proposed set (Munitions) a while back that was similar and will share (what I remember of) it.

Pistol - light lethal dmg (combat TP/burst of speed mechanic with 6 "charges" before long reload, -acc penalty for .5 sec)

combat knife - moderate lethal melee dmg

Rifle - moderate lethal dmg, KD, (combat TP/burst of speed mechanic with 10 "charges" before long reload, -acc penalty for 1 sec)

body armor - s/l dmg resist

I don't remember what 5th was, but I'm sure there's something there.  Could put in the Fire-Combat Training and it would be a nice set.

36 minutes ago, 0th Power said:

Why would the final bullet do more damage than any of the others in the magazine/cylinder?

To be... DRAMATIC!!

• Thumbs Up 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I would call Serial Shot either Burst, Rapid Fire, or Semi-Auto Fire. That's just me though.

2 hours ago, 0th Power said:

Why Final Bullet does more damage? It is an anime/comic/movie trope that the last arrow, the last bullet, the last whatever the character has in a fight, is used to major effect, typically winning the fight. Often after a short monologue about that arrow, bullet, or whatever being the last one the character has or being a special reserve arrow or whatever the character has to use. Think Bard and his black arrow from The Hobbit. (The novel, not the trilogy movie remake.) Or the anime gunslinger crouched behind a barrier, gun barrel resting on his forehead as he realizes he's down to and contemplates his last shot, then rising to perform some impossible shot that takes all the baddies or the Big Bad down with it. (Though in this case, I would probably call it Desperation Shot since you can't actually run out of ammo on a non-temp power.)

• Thumbs Up 2

If its just the last bullet, it shouldn't have any special damage because its the last one.  If you take aim and put in a vital area, that makes sense, but that can be done with any bullet.   If it were a special bullet, It would very odd in a gunfight to have your best option/special bullet as the last option.  Why wouldn't you use it first, and why does it recharge if you only have 1?  I guess the only way I would be onboard with one special bullet is if it was called the "Fife Bullet."  The animation would consist of your character franticly trying to fish the bullet out of a front pocket, then fumble around loading it.  Total animation time 8.2 seconds.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

15 minutes ago, 0th Power said:

If its just the last bullet, it shouldn't have any special damage because its the last one.  If you take aim and put in a vital area, that makes sense, but that can be done with any bullet.   If it were a special bullet, It would very odd in a gunfight to have your best option/special bullet as the last option.  Why wouldn't you use it first, and why does it recharge if you only have 1?  I guess the only way I would be onboard with one special bullet is if it was called the "Fife Bullet."  The animation would consist of your character franticly trying to fish the bullet out of a front pocket, then fumble around loading it.  Total animation time 8.2 seconds.

I would actually be fine with an extended animation for it. That's part of the trope too. Either for the short monologue or the short period of contemplation. Or the fishing out of the anti-matter tip bullet you were storing in a magnetic field in the pocket dimension in your left pocket for those times you need something exploded in ridiculously over-the-top fashion.

• AspieAnarchy changed the title to YOU get a gun, and YOU get a gun! EVERYBODY gets...: The SIDEARM set
5 hours ago, Player2 said:

I get the idea of taking a penalty to use something big, but locking down other ranged attacks in that pool is significant.  Leaving the target with only the defense and a melee attack (assuming either or both are taken) doesn't negate the penalty of lost ranged attacks.

Fair enough; done.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

I would actually be fine with an extended animation for it. That's part of the trope too. Either for the short monologue or the short period of contemplation. Or the fishing out of the anti-matter tip bullet you were storing in a magnetic field in the pocket dimension in your left pocket for those times you need something exploded in ridiculously over-the-top fashion.

Fine with me; that would give additional justification for the effect to be more powerful, yet also discourage overuse.

Incidentally, I'm still figuring out this forum's mechanics; anyone reading know how can I delete a post of my own, or reply to a specific individual without having to quote it?

Edited by AspieAnarchy

6 minutes ago, AspieAnarchy said:

anyone reading know how can I delete a post of my own,

If you select the three dots on the top right corner of the post, there is an option to hide the post. It won't delete it, but as far as anyone being able to see and read it, it may as well be.

6 minutes ago, AspieAnarchy said:

reply to a specific individual without having to quote it?

If you want to specifically address an individual without quoting that person, you can type "@<insert name>". As you type it, the forum will post a popup with names that fit what you have typed so far, and you can just select that person's name. It will show up as " @AspieAnarchy " and that person will get a notice saying (s)he has been mentioned in the post with a link to send them to the post in question.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later