Placating AVs

Panache

Picked up Placate for the first time ever because I had the spot and the slots and Mocking Beratement slaps. Has this thing always put AVs in time out? I understand what it does to your attack chain, but being able to turn an AV off for a while is still pretty amazing.

8 hours ago, Frosticus said:

Yes it has. The power has been improved over time to make it less skippable, but it has always worked fairly well as a time out vs AVs

Wild. It honestly feels like using it is “cheating”. When my melees hit 50 and inherit their enhancements, I run them through A Hero’s Hero to see what needs tweaking. This particular Stalker is En/Inv/Soul, and burned down everyone (even Malaise and Mother Mayhem; eff your Psi) at +2 (no Insps, temps, pets, boosters, etc). Gave Chimera and Marauder a go at +4 and tore them up too. +4 Psi AVs is the next test.

First and only attempt at a +4 Malaise; got him down to 5% health before he got me (and then Penny showed up and finished him off; I was happy for her). This was without Barrier.

Pretty sure it’ll be doable after some of my Incarnate things hit T4. Maybe I’m a little naive about the current meta (I’ve still got a lot of build habits from Live that are probably outdated), but an /Inv Stalker doing that well against high level burst Psi damage feels pretty damn good.

Edit: oh, and I beat up Adamastor. I think this is my first melee toon to pull that off 🙂

Edited by Panache
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 2:51 PM, Panache said:

Wild. It honestly feels like using it is “cheating”. When my melees hit 50 and inherit their enhancements, I run them through A Hero’s Hero to see what needs tweaking. This particular Stalker is En/Inv/Soul, and burned down everyone (even Malaise and Mother Mayhem; eff your Psi) at +2 (no Insps, temps, pets, boosters, etc). Gave Chimera and Marauder a go at +4 and tore them up too. +4 Psi AVs is the next test.

i think it’s balanced - if an AV is placated it’s not being attacked and quickly regenerating health, so there’s quite a large tradeoff to using the power

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, damage is king in enough of the game it feels ok to have a get-out-of-jail card for the price of one power pick. You can almost replicate the effect by just running away in a flash and breaking line of sight.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't ever remember using Placate (or its equivalent) on AVs, but in a different era of the game (when it was harder to have set bonuses) I would definitely use Placate when solo against Elie Bosses, just to get a breather. This was typically for lowish level characters that burned through their Inspirations. It's a perfectly fine power to have when leveling, kudos to those who keep and use it in their finished builds.

• Like 1

I’ve been using it as a few seconds of space to get off a Shadow Meld or Dull Pain if I take two or three big hits. The HP they gain back in the interim is negligible, as it’s gone within the first burst rotation from Hide.

Started up an Ice/Shield and grabbed Placate there for more shenanigans, with Hide-safe Shield Charge in the mix

Edited by Panache
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later

While levelling: Use Placate. It's amazing. Wether you drop it at higher levels when you get the Archetype Enhancements going for Hide procs is up to how tight the slots and powers are in your build. You can put Perfect Zinger: Threat/Placate/Range in it and call it a day. 

Personally I remember using it constantly before max level.

I have never once thought Placate was skippable. That's like having a Jelly sandwich without the peanut butter. A lot of players were saying it was a wasted power, I never once agreed with that. I simply chopped up people skipping placate up to mass psychosis.

One of the things that I've come to appreciate about Placate--and this may be somewhat specific to heavily ST oriented Primaries, like EnM--is its anti-scatter properties. Placate consistently hits more mobs than my attack chain, and those Placated mobs just stand there.