Beginner support character build

Jepetoduf

Hello.

I am new to the game and from what I'm starting to understand, many different builds and many different style of playing are good in this game which is nice. Therefor I am not asking for the BEST support character but I would like to play some kind of support healer or something magical if possible. I like MidsReborn as it allows me to easily follow my build while leveling so if anyone have a build for that I would really appreciate !

For starting out, I'd put my money on Dark or Illusion/Empathy Controller.

Both Dark and Illusion will provide pets and crowd control via sleeps/hold/fear making mobs less problematic for your teammates when they are shaking in their boots.

Empathy has PBAoE team buffs and single target buffs for your team. Depending on your team your may need to learn to buff on the go, rather than calling for folks to gather. If some are quick to dive in and move on, I'd recommend buffing with the PBAoE when you can hit the most, likely jumping into the middle of the brawl.

If you want more pew-pew and less cc, you can opt for an /Emp Corruptor which will give you ranged attacks rather than crowd control.

My very first character back on Legacy was Kinetics/Archery Defender but it's not the easiest to wield. Kinetics offers some lovely enemy debuffs that will also buff teammates that are near the target, but it does require an enemy target and you have to hit them.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

This should be moved to the archetypes section. Empathy, Pain, Thermal, and Nature are the most heal based sets. Now, how you interact with those sets partly depends on what AT you picked and how how you want them as a focus. A Corruptor is primarily doing blast. A Controller is primarily doing controls which can be deemed the 'best' support, and a Defender is going to use those sets the most with various amounts of blasts in between. Some sets might be busier so they take away from using the support set more. Personally something like Ill/emp plays really well in that Ill doesn't need to be super busy and you can focus more on the Empathy part.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 10/11/2023 at 4:07 PM, Without_Pause said:

This should be moved to the archetypes section.

^ completely agree with this.

That said, @Jepetoduf with you being a new character wanting something that can offer support and healing, while being magical....

I'm a big fan of mixing support sets so they work for you. I was an Empathy defender for years and it has only 3 out of 9 powers that effect you, all the other powers need another player or a pet. Due to that I typically recommend playing buff oriented characters on ATs that have pets, so the powers can be utilized while your solo as well.

Some sets that buff/heal can also debuff mobs. Debuffs and CC in CoH can be a huge force multiplier as it can mitigate a lot of incoming damage.

On 10/7/2023 at 1:36 PM, Jepetoduf said:

if anyone have a build for that I would really appreciate !

If you are trying to cookie-cutter mini-max it, then I think you are cheating yourself.

I can only talk from my own viewpoint (obviously).

I'm a character conception player.

I think you will become more connected to your character(s) if you focus on creating a conception of a characters and sticking too that.

You are already on that track ...

I would like to play some kind of support healer or something magical if possible.

There are lots of different kind of "magical" and/or healers.

Support and healer are definitely not the same thing.

To me, Empathy is the flat out "healer" in the game. I'd give 2nd place to Electric - electric not only has heals, but buffs and a shield.

The "magic" tends to be how you feel about your powers versus what they are actually called outside of the Sorcery pool and the Black Wand (and things like that ...)

If your origin is magic, then your powers are magic by default, correct?

I kind of think up what I want to make in advance of even going in the game to make the character. I generally plan out the kind of powers I want and the costume. The costume is critical to getting the "feel" of a character conception to me. Sometimes I have used the same character conceptions across multiple characters as the character conception lends itself to multiple archetypes and primary/secondary combinations.

Are you making a Fire mage? An electrical mage? A druid with plant powers? Are you a necromancer that summons the undead or demons?! Yikes! The possibilities are there to explore.

Embrace your altoholism! Make 3 or 7 or 13 characters and see how the different sets play. Oh, you don't have to do it all at once. Plan them out. Let them fester in your  mind. Get at character conception going. When it hit, then make the character.

The game has so much to explore. Don't get caught in the mids and trying to be OP.

I find it best to just play and have fun.

If your plan is just to power-level to 50, then, yeah, go ahead with the mids. 

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• 4 weeks later

Hello.

I am new to the game and from what I'm starting to understand, many different builds and many different style of playing are good in this game which is nice. Therefor I am not asking for the BEST support character but I would like to play some kind of support healer or something magical if possible. I like MidsReborn as it allows me to easily follow my build while leveling so if anyone have a build for that I would really appreciate !

If you're still looking for new player advice, my suggestion is to play a Corruptor rather than a defender or controller because it's just going to be more straightforward and new player friendly to use your class's core competencies.  Choose a blast set from among Fire, Ice, Assault Rifle or Beam Rifle for raw power, or just pick one that goes with your concept.

Broadly speaking, the support sets that have the most heal-centric gameplay are (in order of recommendation) Nature Affinity, Thermal Radiation, Pain Domination, and Empathy.  I'd add that I rate Time Manipulation and Dark Miasma ahead of Nature Affinity as "support sets with healing in them," but they are not heal-centric sets and rely on using buffs or debuffs and crowd control more than the others on that list.

Combine those things in any way you like and you should find success.

• Thanks 1

@Flux Vector

Formerly from Virtue