How does Domination build?

Bionic_Flea

I generally know that you need to attack to build domination "points" (or "rage" if you like CoD) until you get enough to trigger the domination power.  But is there a formula?  Do some attacks give more points, some give not at all?  What about pseudopets -- do they give rage points?

I looked around on these forums and on wiki, but didn't find any detailed answer.

Here are some city of data entries that seem relevant, although I'm having trouble interpreting them ... (FWIW searched for "domination" in the search bar, then selected different "domination" entries from the search results, then selected "domination" once again to see the data)

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=inherent.inherent.domination&at=dominator

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=inherent.inherent.domination_rage&at=dominator

The amount of "rage" gained with each attack (or control) used scales with the number of players in the team, it would seem. Not seeing that in the City of Data entries examined, though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks ETJ.

Dang.  CoD has 6 different entries under inherent.inherent.domination!

The last one you linked has a formula:  [MagExpr] points of Rage (self only) Magnitude Expression: 3 * source>Str.kRage * target.EventCount>ActivateAttackClick

I think that the "target.EventCount" is the number of players you referred to.  And I am guessing that "ActivateAttackClick" means that toggles generate no rage points, nor do any self buffs.  But I'm not sure what that means for rains and other location placement powers or pets.

I've been wondering this myself for a bit now, I've been leveling up a Dom and sometimes it seems like it's slow building, other times seems I zip right to Rainbow Blast in seconds.  I'm pretty sure these have all been full PUG teams (but I suppose MM pets might throw off some of that count).  I was half thinking it might be favoring Control powers over actual Attacks, but I can't say.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Yeah, domination is easier to build up on a team, since it does helps doms get their powers when teams steamroll enemies with ease.

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

Now for the other side of the coin: what causes Domination to drop?  I have Domination on auto, and I've been in missions/events clicking like mad, maybe have domination up for 10/15 minutes straight of attacking and whatnot, then suddenly, poof, Domination gone.  What gives there?

Well, which is it, young feller?  You want I should freeze or get down on the ground?
If'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop.  And if'n I drop I'll be in motion.

My understanding is that Domination "degrades" 1 point every 7.5 seconds, unless you are in Domination mode, which sets you at 100% for the 90 second duration.  That's how you can get perma-dom -- if your domination click power is up and clicked before the expiration of 90 seconds, you just keep it going.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roleki said:

Now for the other side of the coin: what causes Domination to drop?  I have Domination on auto, and I've been in missions/events clicking like mad, maybe have domination up for 10/15 minutes straight of attacking and whatnot, then suddenly, poof, Domination gone.  What gives there?

Three possibilities come to mind. 

1. If global recharge is somewhat low, then once in a while hasten will be down just a tad too long during a domination cycle and domination will drop. IIRC domination totals in the 140s can sometimes see that happen. Also, if force feedback +recharge procs are important for keeping domination cycles going because of a lower end global recharge total then a bad run of luck with those +recharge procs can lead to domination dropping. 

2. Recharge debuffs from mobs can be pretty hefty. If they're stacked then a global recharge total that would usually support permadom can end up being debuffed to the point that domination fails. 

3. A combination of 1 and 2 above can lead to domination being dropped. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Burnt Umber said:

A while back there was a number of posts concerning Dominator powers and, relevantly, here was a break down of how Domination works: 

Thanks!  I didn't see that during my search, but it's a couple of years old, so maybe I didn't dig deep enough.

But it confirms a lot of what we've discussed here as well as a CoH Discord I'm in.

The one thing I'll add to oedipus_tex's great summary  is that I believe the "Stealth" he talks about is the thing that adds the rainbow glow to your character being in domination.

Hi Flea, the larger the team the higher chunks of domination you get for each attack/control you do.  There's lots of ways to get into domination before you start your playtime. 

First if you're full villain you get access to that power which lets you click it to get you a full domination bar but few people stay full villain so this is the least convenient way to go about it.  Most people have the pbaoe attack from their secondary which you don't need a target for so you can spam that to get into domination, if you're solo it will take quite a bit.  Then my favorite way to build domination is if you have a snipe if you keep interrupting it the system counts it as an attack, doing this is real draining so I just pop Gaes when I load in my doms and build dom this way its super fast.  

I built a real distaste to die by playing a dom so I build all of my characters to have great survivability by habit.  Death does happen and if you're on a team of 8 playing it'll typically take 8-10 attacks once you rez to build up domination again which you will still have to wait for it to be recharged.   

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 1