Preview the color of the name

MHertz

I like the feature where individual names are assigned different colors in the chat. It helps keep things sorted and draw the eye toward people whose colors you recognize.

It would be wonderful if we could preview the color of the name in the character creator / rename window, so we can make adjustments if there's a specific color we're shooting for.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

47 minutes ago, MHertz said:

I like the feature where individual names are assigned different colors in the chat. It helps keep things sorted and draw the eye toward people whose colors you recognize.

It would be wonderful if we could preview the color of the name in the character creator / rename window, so we can make adjustments if there's a specific color we're shooting for.

Aren't those colors pseudo-random when the character is made?

11 minutes ago, Rudra said:

That sounds right, just like the colors of the contacts in some smartphones as they're added.

But yes, it would be amazing to be able to see that on creation, or better yet, have the option to set/change it.

• Like 1

I don’t know about pseudorandom; maybe they are and maybe they aren’t. I figured it was some kind of hash or algorithm that could be calculated to maintain consistency without having to have the character online.

If players were allowed to set their own colors, I fear you’d end up with a huge proportion of players going for Evil Blood Red Super Darkity Evil Maroon color.

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

On 12/20/2023 at 6:06 PM, Rudra said:

I want to say "no, it's picked by some algorithm that looks at your name and assigns a value based on what's in there," but that's going off of semi rusty memory.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

I want to say "no, it's picked by some algorithm that looks at your name and assigns a value based on what's in there," but that's going off of semi rusty memory.

My memory on the matter is also rusty, but I want to say there was a previous discussion about name colors with someone testing it and getting different colors for the same name. That is just running off memory though, so take that statement with a bottle of salt.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

That's how character Section IDs worked in Phantasy Star Online -- little coloured symbols with names like 'Bluefull,' 'Redria' and 'Purplenum.' If you ever played that, that might be what you're thinking of?

That was actually a pretty neat system, it represented which section of the ship your character lived on, and affected things like loot tables, so some rare weapons would only drop for some Section IDs.

On 12/27/2023 at 12:23 PM, A.I.D.A. said:

That's how character Section IDs worked in Phantasy Star Online -- little coloured symbols with names like 'Bluefull,' 'Redria' and 'Purplenum.' If you ever played that, that might be what you're thinking of?

Nope. It was a COH thing.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

There was a previous discussion and as memory serves,  your name is tossed into some formula that spits out a color value and if that color is too light or dark it is shifted into an appropriate brightness.

Edit:  here it is,  fiddle to your hearts content.

....turns out it is also your topic so you probably already knew this.  Oh well,  maybe more people will see the download from Naomi.

Edited by TheZag