The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Rebel Moon

Zack Snyder returns following Justice League, and going on his cult status, Netflix clearly gave him $150m, free rein and no notes to execute his vision unfettered.

This isn’t always a good thing.

We’re basically talking a two part Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai In Space - though with none of the ludicrous fun of Battle Beyond The Stars. Instead, we get liberal borrowing from Star Wars, John Ford cowboy movies, Starship Troopers, John Woo sloooowwwmooooo forrrr draaaammatticc emmmmphassisss… but most notably WH40K (did he nick a manual from Cavill’s trailer?) 

Reviews are… not good. I stuck with it for about the first hour, predicted the main story beats easily, liked the production design and Tony Hopkins (on Alec Guinness gravitas duties as a burned-out battle droid)… and turned over to a comedy special. I’ll probably come back to it later. But whadda youse guys think?

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

They really need to move away from this "let's create this with multiple movies in mind" and instead create the best stand-alone story they can right out of the gate, and only then, if it does well and resonates with people, consider sequels or creating an entire series/universe out of something...

• Like 1

I like most of Zack Snyder's stuff and I was really hoping that Rebel Moon was going to be good.   ... sigh ...

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I saw a Tweet from Zack and he basically mentioned the aspects of the movie. At no point was storyline mention. It's basically, "Yeah, I put a bunch of R rated content in it." I also find it interesting in the video posted above apparently the director's cut is coming and the 'better version.' Funny how he needs a director's cut to finally get it right. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

On 12/24/2023 at 12:28 AM, biostem said:

create the best stand-alone story they can right out of the gate

Just thought of a good comparison: the OG Pitch Black vs Chronicles of Riddick. 

Same characters, same 'verse, but you don't need overlong portentious explainer scenes to tell a good story.

Your mind can cheerfully fill in a lot of the blanks about where and how the whole lot takes place.

It's odd, but sometimes total creative freedom is a bad thing. Having a ludicrously small budget and other constraints force you to make choices that improve the movie - or anything you do, in fact. I wound up being a computer nerd: but watching a young and somewhat thinner Sam Raimi when I was a teen left a strong impression - and I borrowed that "screw it, there's a simpler way to do it" attitude. Has served me well. Most stuff I do doesn't even explode. Much.

• Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

21 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Having a ludicrously small budget and other constraints force you to make choices that improve the movie

It reminds me of Akroyd's original idea for Ghostbusters vs what we got - his proposal would have cost way too much, so it was reined in and scaled back, and resulted in a much better end product, IMHO.