Character Select - Character Ordering & Sorting

Senbonbanana

Short, sweet, and to the point:  It would be awesome if there was an option to sort characters on the character select screen. The ability to sort by name, level, AT, etc would be absolutely amazing!

Longer: I didn't play for an extended period of time, and upon logging in again all of my characters had been rearranged in a random order. To my dismay, the only option to sort them was manually clicking and dragging each one into the spot I wanted. Not unreasonable, but I'm afraid they'll get jumbled again if I go on hiatus. A way to sort them by level, AT, name, or other parameters would be a huge time saver!

Yep, sorting's been asked for.

That said, you can always save your playerslot.txt file (under your homecoming folder/accounts/account name) and have them refer to that for sorting. Can also set it to read only, and since it's just text, you could manually rearrange them even offline.

It is, granted, a bit of a hassle.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Default order is the order of when that character joined the server.   So if playerslot.txt file is not there for any reason (such as a new install), that will be the order they are in game.

So if you were really patient you could transfer characters to another server and then back again in the order wanted...

Of course problems with that are name collisions and you get a limited number of transfers at a time.

Greycat's version, much easier.  

You do need to go thru each page on each server to get the playerslot.txt to be complete though. 

3 hours ago, lemming said:

Default order is the order of when that character joined the server.   So if playerslot.txt file is not there for any reason (such as a new install), that will be the order they are in game.

So if you were really patient you could transfer characters to another server and then back again in the order wanted...

Of course problems with that are name collisions and you get a limited number of transfers at a time.

Greycat's version, much easier.  

You do need to go thru each page on each server to get the playerslot.txt to be complete though. 

Yeah, I was hoping we'd end up with an applet that would read the existing file and give you various sorting methods at some point, but my coding is as ancient as the game. Ironically, it's probably the same language the game was created in, but newer applets likely use something completely different now.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

25 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Yeah, I was hoping we'd end up with an applet that would read the existing file and give you various sorting methods at some point, but my coding is as ancient as the game. Ironically, it's probably the same language the game was created in, but newer applets likely use something completely different now.

Too bad the file itself is just

"ACCOUNT" "SERVER" "CHARACTER_NAME" "POSITION"

Now, if we could get the playerslot.txt to have more info, we could do a third party tool that could rearrange it your liking.   Come to think of it, I could export my spreadsheet of characters that way and just have to tweak between accounts.

Yeah, IDK the ingame coding for the character page, but I imagine that this would have to be modified in order to do what most Really want without resorting to outside apps. As for the outside apps, like you said, the file's basic format is simple enough that it shouldn't take but maybe a day's work to come up with something functional. Something simple with perhaps clickable categories (there's Only 4). IDK if I wrote something up before in the mods area or not, but I do recall at least talking about it.

As for using something like excel, you could import the file using whatever the active separator is (I think it's just a comma), make your modifications, and resave it in the stripped format. The only downside is that these modern apps Love to add hidden characters, so you may Still have to clean it up. What I did one time was simply open it in the notepad (because wordpad has hidden characters!) and do my testing back then.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Some relevant threads Including an applet that was thrown together, but I've not really played with it (yet trust the source's rep). Yes, there are several shameless plugs. 😛 

• Like 1