The Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #60: When do you abandon a character/concept?

DougGraves

I don't have many characters, so: I almost never delete characters, but I do abandon them. Characters tend to get abandoned when:

• I think of a different character, with a better name that I think fits the AT/Powersets "better".
  • I'm not completely sold on my initial concept.

1.  If the costume isn't working, I generally stop and think.  Same goes for name.  I can only compromise so far.

2.  I go 20 levels.  That will give you the best idea of what its going to be like.  Exceptions of course.

3.  Generally its strip and delete.  Rarely will I save one that isn't pleasing me.

4.  Dead is dead (unless you are @Snarky).  If you got a reprieve you are on Everlasting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

7 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

The characters that are the most "dead" to me are my 50's. I'm not going to making any more 50s. When I get to 49, I have been turning the xp off.

Is that a mental thing about 50 or a game mechanic?

12 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Is that a mental thing about 50 or a game mechanic?

I'm not sure what "mental" thing means.

I'll supply some reasoning but try to avoid the reasons that would probably be seen as being contentious.

My characters are not incarnates. It is not part of their character conception. (Yeah, I know I don't have to unlock an Alpha on a 50.)

I don't like the incarnate system.

I don't enjoy the end-game content.

My eyes can't take the graphics spam that increases during leveling even before the end-game/incarnate system is reached. I have to turn the SFX off and that takes away from game enjoyment.

I like the game (leveling) content and the feeling of progression and interactions that comes with the journey through leveling.

I like to character jump frequently.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

4 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I don't like the incante system.

But it's got electrolytes . . . which plants crave. 🙂

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Sometimes I just find them boring, like, I can't play a Kin, I've tried 3 times, somehow it's boring, despite the boost it brings to everyone else zooming around in caves like the inside of a pinball machine.  Merely melee characters can get sort of dull for me too, an armor set in general is set and forget (don't @ me, I know some are more active), so I end only have attacks to click: bash... bash... bash..., pew... pew... pew... Yawn. 

Or yeah, the joke/theme/whatever stops working.  I have come up with some good names but never made the character, because I knew it wouldn't have legs for me.

I have also given up on characters that made the game too easy for me.  Once or twice I've gotten some cool build from the forums and realized that clearing hoards of foes via nuke every 30 seconds (or whatever) is actually boring AF.  Come to think of it, that's probably one of the reasons I don't care for farming.  I'm not here to rig the game, I just get bored.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

4 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I'm not sure what "mental" thing means.

By your description, seems mostly mechanics.

for example:

Mental thing for me, keeping characters around means i need to log them in for certain activities even if I don't want to play them.  So, better for me to delete them.  it also helps with keeping things organized.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, High_Beam said:

But it's got electrolytes . . . which plants crave. 🙂

thanks for the spell check.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

As I slide down the razor blade of life* the thing that becomes increasingly precious to me is time.

So deleting a character is a last resort.

The only things you can't change are Origin, Archetype, and Powersets.

You can change your name, gender, bodytype (see the Tiki Bar Tailor), costumes, Power Pool picks, Power choices in your powerset, bio, SG affiliation, personality, friends...

So, basically, the only characters I delete or retire are scrappers. Not fond of melee, and hate chasing mobs all over the map. Reroll as a Tank or Stalker, keep the concept, I'm happy. (OK, and sometimes Kheldians. Too fiddly!)

When I do decide to torch a character, I first respec them (to unslot all their enhs for free), throw their stuff in the superbase, mail their mailables to my global, /bindsave their binds -- if they had good ones, save worthy bios to a textfile, and say a few words in memoriam.

Then they go upstate to a nice farm where they can play in the sunshine with the other lame characters all day long. 

*Thanks, Tom Lehrer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

47 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Then they go upstate to a nice farm where they can play in the sunshine with the other lame characters all day long.

I do see calls for farms all the time, so it must be a popular place. 😄

• Haha 2

AND we sure must make a lot of lame characters...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 1/2/2024 at 4:13 PM, UltraAlt said:

I don't like the incarnate system.

I don't enjoy the end-game content.

I tire of this long before level 49.

Most of my characters have XP turned off at level 19.  I find the teen levels to be the best part of CoH

• Thumbs Up 1