Hello, and thanks for your time if you're reading this

Tziwen

In february i'll celebrate the 20th anniversary of the time i played COH's beta for the first time.

This i'ld like to create a character and lead it to max level. I always wanted to lv up a kin or stom but i figured those 2 would be better as a /kin or /storm than the other way around.

I am a bit lost with all those primaries, for most of them i don't know nothing about.

If it were you, what would you pick for a /kin corruptor or a /storm.

Thanks again for your time 🙂

• Like 1

Kin and Storm are two very different sets and bring different things to the table.

Kin is very team friendly, that's not to say it can't solo, but your team will want you for Speed Boost alone.

Storm is all about controlled chaos.  It is more of a damaging set later in the game.  It is also a little bit heavier on endurance than other sets.

As for primary, does anything stick out to you as sounding fun?  There aren't really any bad sets, so my suggestion is to pick something that sounds fun and enjoy yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

Thanks for answering and sharing your time with me.

Those 2 powers always have tempted me, my best friend had a controler fire/kin and i trully loved her /kin set.

On the storm subject, it was more based on a visual interest.

Is it quite easy to find people to play with ? That would probably help me decide between those 2

I don't normally make Defends, i'm a corruptor kinda guy but thats just me. With that being said, there are two suggestions for a Kin/ and that would be Electric or Ice (ice havin a quicker recharge and Aoes). As a Storm/ I would definitly pick Ice just because of all the Aoes between te two them.

@Etched

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

Kin is very team friendly, that's not to say it can't solo, but your team will want you for Speed Boost alone.

SB? Yes. Alone? Hell no.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

7 hours ago, Psyonico said:

I have an elec/kin that didn't have room for speed boost. The goal was soloing GM's and that power didn't do anything for me so since the build was power tight i had to skip it.

Dual Pistols / Kin is one of my favourite characters. Mine is fairly expensive but has capped Melee and Ranged defenses along with 73 (close to cap) Smashing & lethal resists. Because you get the awesomeness of Fulcrum Shift you can underslot some powers with damage because Fulc Shift will cap you anyway. 

DP works well with Kin and Dark Mastery lets you take two more PBAoEs (with benefits) plus the Smashing / Lethal resist shield. You can run in, Fulc Shift, do crazy nuke-gun-dance and then finish them off with Bullet Rain, Soul Drain or Dark Consumption. Fire does do more damage but DP looks cool. 

BulletTime_Final_respecced.mbd

On 1/12/2024 at 3:47 PM, Tziwen said:

If it were you, what would you pick for a /kin corruptor or a /storm.

You're asking an alt jumper?

The answer is obviously  ... at least a couple of both.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

With double exp and p2w exp booster. Run a few to 20 and then go from there. You can get away with tf's just level and avoid spending money on any beginner enhancements besides a few basic one especially since you get prestige enhancements.

I usually run one char to 10, pick up another,  see some tf run with that group till whatever level, that outlevels that tf. Rinse and repeat. Switch to alts when eligible tfs are running. 

Of course you want to focus on one character eventually. But it's good to stagger viable alts for possible tfs to get a quick level boost without having to tediously level each one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 4:27 PM, Etched said:

I don't normally make Defends, i'm a corruptor kinda guy but thats just me. With that being said, there are two suggestions for a Kin/ and that would be Electric or Ice (ice havin a quicker recharge and Aoes). As a Storm/ I would definitly pick Ice just because of all the Aoes between te two them.

@Etched

Ice is probably better with rain for corruptors. But elec is also fun, and most work with /kin very well.

Especially in groups, you're opening up with /kin buffs and debuffs. Then following up with main powers to damage where your opponents are already lower in HP and scourge is kicking in where your damage becomes more viable. This is why I prefer corruptor over defender at least in groups. 

Edited by TinyJuggs
  • Thumbs Up 1

Storm is better on a defender due to the storm pets unlocking earlier and doing better damage, coupled with being easier to build def allowing you to build more end/recovery (you will still want conserve power). Its fine on corupter but on beta FR does -40% resist reduction for defenders. It gets buffed while evreyone else gets less now. I like it with water for the self heal. 

Kin is better on a corupter due to damage caps and fulcrum shift. Early teams like you for SB. Evreyone at max level loves fulcrum. Pick fire, ice, or electric and go nuts. 

38 minutes ago, warlyx said:

i have seen some elec/kin recomendation , im missing something here ? im used to fire/kin because dmg and ice / kin because ...corr ofc , but elec?

Probably sapping, especially with the pbaoe + transference. Kin likes pbaoes. Fulc shift, pbaoe, transference on whichever boss is close by. Then a ball Lightning and go to work on the boss. I'd a Kin/Elec on live but corruptor nowadays is the better option (on live the biggest draw for the defender was not waiting 6 more levels for fulc. The 30s used to be sloooow to get thru)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, warlyx said:

i have seen some elec/kin recomendation , im missing something here ? im used to fire/kin because dmg and ice / kin because ...corr ofc , but elec?

Also wasn't too long ago that electric blast got its buffs upping damage in addition to what Carni has mentioned

On 1/13/2024 at 8:57 AM, Carnifax said:

Dual Pistols / Kin is one of my favourite characters. Mine is fairly expensive but has capped Melee and Ranged defenses along with 73 (close to cap) Smashing & lethal resists. Because you get the awesomeness of Fulcrum Shift you can underslot some powers with damage because Fulc Shift will cap you anyway. 

DP works well with Kin and Dark Mastery lets you take two more PBAoEs (with benefits) plus the Smashing / Lethal resist shield. You can run in, Fulc Shift, do crazy nuke-gun-dance and then finish them off with Bullet Rain, Soul Drain or Dark Consumption. Fire does do more damage but DP looks cool. 

BulletTime_Final_respecced.mbd 43.9 kB · 18 downloads

Second DP/Kin, or a Fire/Kin.

Nice thing about DP/Kin is with HoB and get a sweet +DEF for a few seconds, plenty of time to jump into the spawn, Fulcrum followed by HoB.  Neat trick.

On 1/27/2024 at 2:36 PM, Carnifax said:

Probably sapping, especially with the pbaoe + transference. Kin likes pbaoes. Fulc shift, pbaoe, transference on whichever boss is close by. Then a ball Lightning and go to work on the boss. I'd a Kin/Elec on live but corruptor nowadays is the better option (on live the biggest draw for the defender was not waiting 6 more levels for fulc. The 30s used to be sloooow to get thru)

Sapping yes, but they can be built out similarly to how you have your dp/kin. The new shocked mechanic helps do bonus damage the less end a target has.

1 hour ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Sapping yes, but they can be built out similarly to how you have your dp/kin. The new shocked mechanic helps do bonus damage the less end a target has.

I've had a look at Shocked previously in my parser on my TA/Elec. It's... fine I guess overall. The results are weirdly erratic too. I can understand Ball Lightning since I use it a lot after Short Circuit (SC animation reduction is where the real buff was) but I'm a bit stumped as to why Zapp comes out so low since I use it as my main attack in combat (especially compared to Charged, they're used together for the most part). Thunderous I can understand since I usually use it as an opener. 

10% buff to Ball Lightning (remember that's the final damage value, so its more like 20% of base damage) isn't awful though. But it's weirdly erratic. 

image.thumb.png.913f8f58c8ccd66b282a9d6e39e76898.png

1 hour ago, Carnifax said:

I've had a look at Shocked previously in my parser on my TA/Elec. It's... fine I guess overall. The results are weirdly erratic too. I can understand Ball Lightning since I use it a lot after Short Circuit (SC animation reduction is where the real buff was) but I'm a bit stumped as to why Zapp comes out so low since I use it as my main attack in combat (especially compared to Charged, they're used together for the most part). Thunderous I can understand since I usually use it as an opener. 

10% buff to Ball Lightning (remember that's the final damage value, so its more like 20% of base damage) isn't awful though. But it's weirdly erratic. 

image.thumb.png.913f8f58c8ccd66b282a9d6e39e76898.png

Your chart looks accurate, and your absolutely right about short circuit, it's the bread basket filled with Cheddar Bay biscuits of Electrical Blast, it has great end modifiers and works well with procs.