Which is the tankiest tank in tank town (with caveats)?

sutasafaia

I would probably opt for Invulnerability with something like Staff, Dark melee or Martial arts. Invuln gives a good mix of resists and defence, it has 50% DDR (which ageless can buff more) and +to hit and a heal/max health.

I am not sure Tanker is the right choice for you though, unless you are set on a Tanker. You need to be mobile and attack/taunt and pick up mobs etc.

A ranged class standing at the back pushing a few attack buttons like a Sentinel/Blaster or Fortunata would be better in my opinion. My Fortunata is so easy to play. I buff by just being there and do damage and no one cares if i am lagging behind whereas a Tanker will be noticed more. Fortunata is for when i want a very laid back day lol.

Edited by Gobbledigook

4 hours ago, Gobbledigook said:

I would probably opt for Invulnerability with something like Staff, Dark melee or Martial arts. Invuln gives a good mix of resists and defence, it has 50% DDR (which ageless can buff more) and +to hit and a heal/max health.

I am not sure Tanker is the right choice for you though, unless you are set on a Tanker. You need to be mobile and attack/taunt and pick up mobs etc.

A ranged class standing at the back pushing a few attack buttons like a Sentinel/Blaster or Fortunata would be better in my opinion. My Fortunata is so easy to play. I buff by just being there and do damage and no one cares if i am lagging behind whereas a Tanker will be noticed more. Fortunata is for when i want a very laid back day lol.

The reason I'm assuming tanker is the best class is because they can essentially have 90% passive and/or auto powers while being, well, tanky to allow for me to make many mistakes due to my hands. If there's a better option in certainly open to suggestions. 

As for what people expect... the character is meant for soloing. The only time I plan to group is with my wife and she is obviously aware of the handicap. Other than randomly fighting a GM or something I highly doubt I will ever be in any other groups, and I doubt I'm the only person on the server with a solo focus tanker either way. 

17 hours ago, sutasafaia said:

The reason I'm assuming tanker is the best class is because they can essentially have 90% passive and/or auto powers while being, well, tanky to allow for me to make many mistakes due to my hands. If there's a better option in certainly open to suggestions. 

As for what people expect... the character is meant for soloing. The only time I plan to group is with my wife and she is obviously aware of the handicap. Other than randomly fighting a GM or something I highly doubt I will ever be in any other groups, and I doubt I'm the only person on the server with a solo focus tanker either way. 

Ok, that leaves Blaster out. A Sentinel and a Fortunata are very survivable also. Fortunatas have very high defence and scaling resists as they lose health.  They may be worth a consideration. Play both to 30 or try them on the test server maybe. Endurance can be a problem on Forts though but IO/incarnate can sort that at late game.

If you are soloing mostly then any Tanker is good really. The taunt will mean you won't need to chase mobs very often. Solo with minimal IO's i would probably go Rad/SS Tanker. Endurance recovery built in, heals/regen, good resists and extra damage. It's a solo powerhouse.

Whichever you decide on have fun 🙂

1 hour ago, VoidSpawn said:

I've noted that MidsReborn forum exports aren't working correctly, with the exports being faulty and incapable of being properly shared. 

Anyone have a solution for this? 

Thanks!

-void 

Yes, just attach the file 

• Thumbs Up 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

What Mid's are we even supposed to be using these days?  I downloaded the latest setup file and the first question the installer asked me is if I wanted the Rebirth database or my own custom creation.  Do I need to get it from somewhere else for Homecoming?

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

What Mid's are we even supposed to be using these days?  I downloaded the latest setup file and the first question the installer asked me is if I wanted the Rebirth database or my own custom creation.  Do I need to get it from somewhere else for Homecoming?

I used the 3.6.6 and chose "custom".  Only problem I still have is exporting builds, in the Mids' format.  You can load previous .mxd builds (using the Legacy Build option, and it seems the bonuses all translate), then re-save as an .mbd file.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Well after messing with both an SR/MA tank and an Elec/SR sentinel I can honestly say I love both and have no idea which to main 😛 but at least it's finally down to two, even if one isn't a tank.

I can say having a red elite boss only hit me once on my tank at level 11 felt amazing. Sentinel is also fun though...a lot of fun. I love my permanent sparky pet.  Choice paralysis is great 🙂

Edited by sutasafaia

• 2 weeks later

Elec/sr will fe fun as well. I have an elec/regen sentinel I made just to see if regen sucked on a sentinel too (it does).  The only reason I kept it is because of the electric blast being so fun. 

and if you’re worried about messing up , there is a lot less pressure on a sentinel than a tank on a team or task force against an AV. And sentinel is even more set and forget with ST as you don’t even need to have a power on auto either jus take the lil heal power. 

I don’t solo much at all but would have to be quicker on a sentinel.   

On 1/25/2024 at 3:57 PM, sutasafaia said:

Well after messing with both an SR/MA tank and an Elec/SR sentinel I can honestly say I love both and have no idea which to main 😛 but at least it's finally down to two, even if one isn't a tank.

I can say having a red elite boss only hit me once on my tank at level 11 felt amazing. Sentinel is also fun though...a lot of fun. I love my permanent sparky pet.  Choice paralysis is great 🙂

the best part of this game for me is it is insanely alt friendly. I forget if you are new or not. But if so just get one to 50 then you can play both each day some. Making money on one and leveling up the other. Or alternate days. 

Edited by Thraxen

On 1/22/2024 at 4:51 PM, ZemX said:

I didn't select any and it just defaults to what seems to be the correct version for Homecoming. No problems here anyway.

On 1/15/2024 at 4:38 PM, Onlyasandwich said:

If you want easiest, hard to go wrong with sr. Simplest to build, functionally immortal in most content. Sr leaves you a ton of room to more flexibly slot your secondary. Ideal for proccy builds. 

Stone and invuln have more overall potential. You can softcap defenses, and have healthy resists to build off. I find non granite stone to be a better balance, as it handles psi well enough without io support, and it has a few offensive bonuses (brimstone proc, recharge bonus).

How would you slot Super Reflexes please?

How many slots and what powers and what sets?

• 2 weeks later
On 2/6/2024 at 8:59 AM, KITANYA said:

How would you slot Super Reflexes please?

How many slots and what powers and what sets?

Easy slotting, no IOs needed for SR version:

• Each of your three toggles gets 2 Defense Buffs and one EndRed
  • Each of the passives get 2 DefBuff
  • Status clicky gets 1-2 recharges depending on how fast you want it to recharge and overlap.
  • Skip Elude.
  • Quickness gets one slot Fly or Run, depending on how you travel.

If you go Invention sets, you can get a bit of extra mileage with the same slots, and even one slot the passives.

SR is very forgiving.

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

9 hours ago, Force Redux said:

Easy slotting, no IOs needed for SR version:

• Each of your three toggles gets 2 Defense Buffs and one EndRed
  • Each of the passives get 2 DefBuff
  • Status clicky gets 1-2 recharges depending on how fast you want it to recharge and overlap.
  • Skip Elude.
  • Quickness gets one slot Fly or Run, depending on how you travel.

If you go Invention sets, you can get a bit of extra mileage with the same slots, and even one slot the passives.

SR is very forgiving.

I meant, if going sets, how would you slot Super Reflexes?

Luck of the Gambler? Reactive? etc

34 minutes ago, KITANYA said:

With sets? It's pretty much whatever you'd like. It can be as simple as this, really: 

image.thumb.png.7a71c7f631b25ce77256576ab614ecd8.png

SR is so easy to soft cap, that the challenge with the set becomes other things, like how far you can get resists up or where you can work a heal in via pool powers (assuming your primary isn't Dark or something that can slot heal procs). 

Keep in mind what's shown here doesn't even take into account other Def bonuses like that you'd get from the Gauntleted Fist ATO set.

Edited by twozerofoxtrot
Made the image smaller; click for full size
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, KITANYA said:

For the three toggles I like one LotG def/Global recharge, and two slots anything else Def/End and Def, depending on whatever bonus you want. Typically Gift of the Ancients for me for the 2% recovery boost.

I typically do not slot super reflexes for any other set bonuses using just a regular crafted IO is for recharge for practice brawler or one or two crafted IOs for the passives. I save most of my other slots for the secondary attacks, and other powers such as ranged attacks and epic sets or utility powers such as a heal or an imobilize or things like that. Super reflexes is literally the easiest set to slot for the most benefit, and uses the least slots do so. As mentioned above you can pursue other set bonuses such as resistance, regeneration and endurance reduction.

I find I do not need heals Super reflexes if I have my base resistances strong enough, with the help of a few procs here and there for survivability. Literally you can stand in a group of mobs watching your health go down to about a third or a quarter and then because of the passive resistance increases in super reflexes your health meter generally stops ight there because you have 90% resistance which is essentially multiplying your regeneration rate by 10. You can carry a few extra large heals inspirations on the side for the rare occasion anything else actually bothers you.

Tanker super reflexes is love 💕

Edited by Force Redux

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

19 hours ago, Force Redux said:

For the three toggles I like one LotG def/Global recharge, and two slots anything else Def/End and Def, depending on whatever bonus you want. Typically Gift of the Ancients for me for the 2% recovery boost.

I typically do not slot super reflexes for any other set bonuses using just a regular crafted IO is for recharge for practice brawler or one or two crafted IOs for the passives. I save most of my other slots for the secondary attacks, and other powers such as ranged attacks and epic sets or utility powers such as a heal or an imobilize or things like that. Super reflexes is literally the easiest set to slot for the most benefit, and uses the least slots do so. As mentioned above you can pursue other set bonuses such as resistance, regeneration and endurance reduction.

I find I do not need heals Super reflexes if I have my base resistances strong enough, with the help of a few procs here and there for survivability. Literally you can stand in a group of mobs watching your health go down to about a third or a quarter and then because of the passive resistance increases in super reflexes your health meter generally stops ight there because you have 90% resistance which is essentially multiplying your regeneration rate by 10. You can carry a few extra large heals inspirations on the side for the rare occasion anything else actually bothers you.

Tanker super reflexes is love 💕

Thanks Force Redux for the insight!

• Thumbs Up 1

For a newish player, I think my recommendation would be Invulnerability.... mostly because of the early access to Dull Pain. It is also crazy easy to build a strong defensive build with just a as few as one extra slot in the primary powers and IOs. (Endurance Reduction, plus one for the Def/Res attribute)

Personally, I find the low level Tanker powers to be mostly unnecessary for most of the content... this includes Dull Pain... but if a player is trying to get an old-school feel for playing, just having the self heal/+HP available as a "click" (it won't recharge very quickly without slotting and bonuses) is probably the sort of assurance that a newish player should have available as they observe how damage gets directed at them.

I have nothing against the SR recommendation, except that I think this is one of those sets that needs more thinking about slotting and would be slightly harder than some other armors while leveling and/or lacking slots. This is just me: but of Defense-based builds I find myself constantly monitoring the defense values (mostly positional, depends on character)... and it will be hard to get to the "soft-cap" without access to globals and set bonuses.

• 1 month later

The Rune of Protection is the main buffer here, offering periodic time slices of improved Resistance. There's very little effect from Incarnates (i.e., no Barrier running). Also, there isn't standard Defense saturation to bump that Melee Defense up to soft cap range. 

It's mainly opportunistic slotting, and understanding that the "perma-90% RES" isn't quite permanent. (With Martial Arts it gets very close; an example of which is my previously posted Dark/MA Tanker who, once combat starts, can permanently maintain "perma-90% RES.") 

VoidTank001.thumb.png.e8723d7e9334673827d08121589988a8.png

Edited by VoidSpawn
Syntax.