Secondary for Storm Blast

kwsapphire

Hello friends! I'd like to roll up a Storm Blast blaster. Which of the following three secondaries would work best? Devices, Plant Manipulation, or Temporal Manipulation?

I've played Storm Blast to level 50 twice on corruptors, and want to see what it's like on a blaster. I have a newly-50 Fire/Fire and a 31 Archery/Tactical Arrow Blaster, both of which I enjoy thoroughly. I also love Storm Blast regardless of how well it performs (or doesn't) against other blast sets. I love the barely-controlled chaos of Storm/Storm (my now and forever favorite combo), and my Storm/Nature is also cool. 

My main concern for a Storm Blaster is overall synergy. Something like "Don't pair Storm Blast with (X), because you spend so much time (behavior) that (consequence)." or "(Y) is a good secondary for Storm Blast because it lets you (do something fun) or (makes something easier)." Stuff along those lines.

I appreciate any insight yall can share! ^_^

Edited by kwsapphire

Coloden.png

Of those I would personally go with Temporal.  The extra recharge should help in getting out Cat5 significantly and for me Storm Blast is all about that power.

That being said, if you like controlled chaos you might want to consider Storm/Fire/Fire.  The DoT aura's add extra passive damage leaving you free to call down lightning and thunder.  I made one on the test server when the set was in beta and it was a lot of fun.

• Like 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

18 hours ago, MirrorDarkly said:

Of those I would personally go with Temporal.  The extra recharge should help in getting out Cat5 significantly and for me Storm Blast is all about that power.

That being said, if you like controlled chaos you might want to consider Storm/Fire/Fire.  The DoT aura's add extra passive damage leaving you free to call down lightning and thunder.  I made one on the test server when the set was in beta and it was a lot of fun.

Cool, thanks for the input! Time does also have an advantage in not having too many powers that need clicking often, so it doesn't compete with Storm Blast for your attention. Devices is similar in that regard, but Plant looks more clicky. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Coloden.png

Gun drone might be very nice for Storm helping to tank while you get out your ground targets.  But my big hang-up with Storm/Devices is how badly Targeting Drone performs with Storm.

If you look at the CoD info you'll see targeting drone is a +18.5% to hit and a +20% damage buff that is reapplied every .6/.75 seconds so neither Storm Cell or Cat5 will see an meaningful benefit from that part of the power.  What's worse (in my mind) is that the separate +60% damage buff only lasts for .75 seconds and stops applying once you enter combat. Meaning you'll have to use another attack to open up combat other than Cat5 (or any other sudo pet) if you ever want to to make use of that bonus.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MirrorDarkly said:

Gun drone might be very nice for Storm helping to tank while you get out your ground targets.  But my big hang-up with Storm/Devices is how badly Targeting Drone performs with Storm.

If you look at the CoD info you'll see targeting drone is a +18.5% to hit and a +20% damage buff that is reapplied every .6/.75 seconds so neither Storm Cell or Cat5 will see an meaningful benefit from that part of the power.  What's worse (in my mind) is that the separate +60% damage buff only lasts for .75 seconds and stops applying once you enter combat. Meaning you'll have to use another attack to open up combat other than Cat5 (or any other sudo pet) if you ever want to to make use of that bonus.   

Hmm, okay that's good to know! I do like the idea of Storm/Devices, and both Cat5 and Time Bomb have the long build to payoff, so that seems to work. 

Coloden.png

I'm not sure if they synergize particularly well, but my Storm/Fire blaster is a glass cannon of fun and shreddage. Of the options you've given, I feel like Temporal would be a good fit.

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

I've been running a Storm/Time blaster for a while now solo. Time has temporal healing-continuous heal over time which is really really handy once you get it. It also has a couple close powers that can make mobs at melee range seriously regret their life choices. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the input! I was leaning towards Devices because I think I'd enjoy that secondary more, but Temporal does seem to have more of a synergy. Plus temporal aligns better with what I wanted to name the character, so I guess I'm going with that, and will have to think of another blaster to use Devices. 😉

Thanks again everyone! 

Coloden.png

I have a Storm/Atomic Blaster.  I love her and she is fun but the secondary is not as much of a helper monkey that I thought it would be.  Still leveling her through so there ya go.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

On 1/20/2024 at 4:05 PM, Captain Fabulous said:

Thematically I went with Storm/Electricity. Plant is a good set and could also be loosely thematic. Temporal is a really good set, can never go wrong with that. Devices has always been a solidly meh set, tho it's getting a small upgrade soon.

Ooohhh... What's the upgrade for Devices? Did I miss something in the natch potes?

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

4 minutes ago, Force Redux said:

Ooohhh... What's the upgrade for Devices? Did I miss something in the natch potes?

You did!

Devices - Remote Bomb [Focused Feedback: Remote/Temporal Bomb]

• Time Bomb for Blaster > Devices has been replaced with Remote Bomb.
  • This can be placed on either an enemy or the ground, but once placed activating the power again will manually detonate the bomb. Remote Bomb can be set off the moment it is successfully placed.
  • If the mob that the Remote Bomb was attached to is defeated, the Remote Bomb will fall to the ground at that location.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Coloden.png