Ten Armors Down, Shield Defense to Go!

dtjunkie

Tanks.thumb.png.72d9f07a5c6c13888941f03e72046a00.png

I have already taken two brutes and two scrappers to 50 with Shield Defense, but my Shield Defense / Battle Axe Tank has been parked at 32 for years. Looking at the secondaries I already have played Tanks with Battle Axe, Broad Sword, Dual Blades, Savage Melee, Staff Fighting, Stone Melee, Street Justice, Super Strength, and War Mace. My Shield Defense Brutes/Scrappers have used Energy Melee and Radiation Melee. What's a good other fun combination for a Shield Defense Tank?

Hard to go wrong with shield!

Shield Defense + Dark Melee has long been considered a great pairing on any AT, really. ToF was updated to an AOE, which is nice when proc’d out ( @SomeGuyhas a great set up for this on his scrapper). DM also brings a heal, which is something Shield Defense lacks.

I personally had a Psi Melee/Shield Defense Scrapper that I love. I could see the pairing doing well on a tanker. Shield Charge + Mass Levivate = a lot of fun and baddies on their butts.

Electric Melee adds another teleport AoE and Shield's defenses are so good, you hardly notice the Rage crash, with SS...so two more to consider.

• Like 2

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

8 hours ago, dtjunkie said:

Tanks.thumb.png.72d9f07a5c6c13888941f03e72046a00.png

I have already taken two brutes and two scrappers to 50 with Shield Defense, but my Shield Defense / Battle Axe Tank has been parked at 32 for years. Looking at the secondaries I already have played Tanks with Battle Axe, Broad Sword, Dual Blades, Savage Melee, Staff Fighting, Stone Melee, Street Justice, Super Strength, and War Mace. My Shield Defense Brutes/Scrappers have used Energy Melee and Radiation Melee. What's a good other fun combination for a Shield Defense Tank?

Wait...why is your SD/Axer parked at 32? With the changes to Battle Axe that Tank has the potential to be one of your strongest/funnest builds (Axe Cyclone FTW!!) (I mean you can knock them down (SC), Axe Cyclone them into place, take a step back and then hit them with Energy Torrent (if you take Energy Mastery). That aside, as others have mentioned Electrical Melee and Dark Melee are pretty fun, and if you want to add some KB to KD IOs Kinetic Melee can be pretty fun on Shield Tanks (imagine the above scenario, but more so). Mobs spend a lot of time on their backsides (which is another form of damage mitigation...).

Oh, forgot to mention, Fiery Melee add Avalanches and you can get KD from FSC!! What's not to love there... I mean... Fire!!!

Edited by Warboss
  • Like 1

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

2 hours ago, Warboss said:

Wait...why is your SD/Axer parked at 32? With the changes to Battle Axe that Tank has the potential to be one of your strongest/funnest builds (Axe Cyclone FTW!!) (I mean you can knock them down (SC), Axe Cyclone them into place, take a step back and then hit them with Energy Torrent (if you take Energy Mastery). That aside, as others have mentioned Electrical Melee and Dark Melee are pretty fun, and if you want to add some KB to KD IOs Kinetic Melee can be pretty fun on Shield Tanks (imagine the above scenario, but more so). Mobs spend a lot of time on their backsides (which is another form of damage mitigation...).

Oh, forgot to mention, Fiery Melee add Avalanches and you can get KD from FSC!! What's not to love there... I mean... Fire!!!

Not to mention, when you run with the fiery sword out it looks AWESOME!

6 hours ago, PLVRIZR said:

Electric Melee adds another teleport AoE and Shield's defenses are so good, you hardly notice the Rage crash, with SS...so two more to consider.

+1 to both of these as well. Both Lightning Rod and Foot Stomp feel so good when combo’d with Shield Charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:28 AM, Warboss said:

Wait...why is your SD/Axer parked at 32? With the changes to Battle Axe that Tank has the potential to be one of your strongest/funnest builds (Axe Cyclone FTW!!) (I mean you can knock them down (SC), Axe Cyclone them into place, take a step back and then hit them with Energy Torrent (if you take Energy Mastery).

So thank you for pointing this out because um.... it looks like I never played Battle Axe after the revamp two updates ago. Wow! Cleave has a 40ft range now?!? Yea this seems to be much more fun!

• Like 1

Glad to help, go axe things and have fun!!! Axe Cyclone BEST POWER EVER!!!

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Pendulum is amazing now too.  As a melee TAoE instead of a melee cone there is no longer any positioning necessary.  Just target whoever is unlucky enough to be in front of you and this power will hit them and everyone else in a 10.5ft radius sphere around them.  Works specifically well after a Cyclone packs enemies in close to you.

38 minutes ago, Xandyr said:

I enjoyed my Shield/Ice tank. It was a fun combo, plus you can make an ice shield to go along with your ice swords! Frost and Frozen aura are GREAT!

I have never liked the elemental swords (to the point of taking heat for not having the greater versions on my ice and firey melee tanks), but the ice shield and frozen swords sounds amazing.  Damn you, @Xandyr, for fueling my altitis 😆

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

49 minutes ago, PLVRIZR said:

I have never liked the elemental swords (to the point of taking heat for not having the greater versions on my ice and firey melee tanks), but the ice shield and frozen swords sounds amazing.  Damn you, @Xandyr, for fueling my altitis 😆

Muahahahaha 

You're welcome. 

• Haha 1

You know... you can color the "Ice Swords" red and yellow... and add fiery aura to them... just sayin'...

• Haha 1

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable