More Giant Monsters to hunt?

Would people want a larger selection of Giant Monsters they could hunt in game? As atm there is a limited amount and with the next page bringing mini pets I feel like people will want to hunt them more for a chance of the drop ❤️

Personally I would love a Nictus infused Minotaur on the bridge in Cimerora as spawn after an ITF (Similar to Babbage)

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

No, I personally would not. GMs are rather boring as new additions. Personally, I think new zone events are much better because they require more interaction than just standing there solo or in a team and pounding a very large mob into the ground. The problem with events though, is I don't see them being used. (Praetoria has a zone event in all 3 surface zones, but they rarely get done from what I see. I'm not counting First Ward or Night Ward. St. Martial also has a zone event that I pretty much see being skipped by players frequently.) However, a zone event that includes a GM could be interesting depending on how it is done.

I am totally in favor of more giant monsters. Bring on the Kaijumania!

I like the Nictu infused Minotaur (hopefully also actually gigantic) after the ITF, or maybe spawning at the gate after the previous mission, since oftentimes parties like to clear towers after finishing the last mission, and a GM spawn would make everyone want to exit ASAP.

My personal dream Kaiju fights are to have a mission (preferably in an arc or TF) where we get giganticized and have to fight a giant monster on more even footing (The trick here being to use a miniaturized map of an existing zone, like Talos Island or something... but with a silent power affecting everyone giving every attack a chance to cause KB, and eliminating everyone's KB protection. It's thematically appropriate). The other is a bit more involved, creating a new faction that is an Arachnos/Snake hybrid group... Some Arachnos Mad Scientist has gone rogue and genetically altered Snakes giving them Arachnoid "arms" growing out of their backs and darkening their scales to black & red (because of course). So the new Arachnophidian hybrids end up in a civil war for dominance with the rest of the snakes (make that a three way war because they also want to be free of Arachnos control). The players get sucked into the Snake Civil War, working on behalf of whichever side(s) suit them (with some minor changes/phasing outcomes based on who they help/hurt), as they explore/fight their way through a new Snaketopia zone (Basically like the sewer network, but for the Rogue Isles, made up of various interlocking, otherwise preexisting Snake Cavern maps). The Snake Civil War climaxes with a war in the streets between all three forces in a random Rogue Isles zone, and at a certain point in the combat (kinda like Nemesis Invasion) the brand new Arachnophidian Giant Monster rushes up from the ground below, needing to be defeated. Arachnophidians fight more or less like regular snakes, but with some extra melee attacks from the new arms, and they can also spit a ST Immob web attack that also does toxic DOT (AOE for the GM).

Finally, something I've wanted to see since the game began, a Giant Alligator in the Sewer Network.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Apologies but, since when?

Want to exit, or clear the towers after the mission ends?

As for the latter, just the other night was the last one I did. As to the former, many of the folks I find myself playing with are pretty enthusiastic about hunting GMs. If that's not you, that's fine, you're under no obligation, but we really don't need you implying it's the ghost town equivalent of a game experience either. Do what you love, let others do what they love.

2 minutes ago, Starhammer said:

Want to exit, or clear the towers after the mission ends?

As for the latter, just the other night was the last one I did. As to the former, many of the folks I find myself playing with are pretty enthusiastic about hunting GMs. If that's not you, that's fine, you're under no obligation, but we really don't need you implying it's the ghost town equivalent of a game experience either. Do what you love, let others do what they love.

No, the team running out of the mission if a GM should appear. Every team I'm on puts whatever we are doing on hold to take down whatever GM appears, no matter how small our team is. (Edit: Not because I stop them, but because they immediately run off to kill the GM.) And if talking about the ITF, then players will have full access to their incarnate powers (if run at level 45+) and will most likely be quite eager to put the GM in its place.

Edited by Rudra

3 hours ago, Starhammer said:

My personal dream Kaiju fights are to have a mission (preferably in an arc or TF) where we get giganticized and have to fight a giant monster on more even footing (The trick here being to use a miniaturized map of an existing zone, like Talos Island or something... but with a silent power affecting everyone giving every attack a chance to cause KB, and eliminating everyone's KB protection. It's thematically appropriate).

Sounds like somebody has been watching old-skool Ultraman,,,

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I like the idea of more Giant monsters But not if they keep things the same way there are now as of January 2024

As of now... The way things are set with GM's now is a greatly reduced reward system.  Most people don't have a lot of interest in defeating a GM because the rewards for the effort are not there.  Most of the "effort" being.. making your way to the zone to fight it. 

Way..... back in the day around the time COV first came out live... you needed to have most of the entire zone jump in to help, and you would get a good amount of xp.   That was interesting but wasn't enough to hold interest.  

I do like how they will be making some of the GM's tougher in the next update.  However, I'd like to recommend adding things to make people excited to fight GMs.  

Right now. People can solo GM's.  Either way, defeating one solo or with a team will reward you with a very little bit of XP and around 6 merits with a badge.   While making the GM's have more health is a good start... it still lacks making people want to fight it.  It will make fighting it with a team more enjoyable.  As a team of 8 can take out most GM's in less than 40 secs. 

So what I would like to propose if your going to add new GM's.  Make it so that the more people in the near area of the GM the more tough it is.  If a team of 8 is in the area and wants to fight it,...  It will be a basic form of a GM with basic rewards and health. 

If you have an amount to nearly fill a League and standing nearby...then the GM will have its health greatly increased, have more attacks, Look more intimidating, summon dangerous spawns, and can dish out damage that can keep a fully IO'ed out character sweating in their boots no matter how much defense you have. The GM can even feed off your character specs such as defense, resistance, and so on, making it more powerful and increasing its rewards.  Such as Rare drops, Badges that unlock rare costume pieces, and temporary pets.  Things like this.  Making people get excited to defeat it.    If the interest is not there when the GM is there it is still beatable, but the more people that want to join in... the more exciting it should be.  Now it shouldn't be stressful to fight... but you should see characters dying from the GM when it's fully powered up. 

"The fear of death makes things fun. If you know you're going to win then it's just a Mondane fight." 

To keep things interesting... It can spawn supervillains that go after your healers.  Having healing powers makes you more of a target. The more people you heal the more aggro you pull on yourself from the GM's backup.  

Okay.. I need to calm down some.  So to simplify what I'm saying,  give GMs a scalable difficulty that scales by the amount of players showing interest in fighting it by being in the area.  Stages can be:  Stage 1- Team-based. Stage 2- League based, Stage 3- World event. with drops and rewards, you can't get by farming 😛

No.

GMs are just boring bags of hitpoints people take down in a minute for some merits.  Sometimes they wait for a team. There's nothing interesting about them.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Suggestion for the Devs: The 1 a day limit on Hami-Os needs to be straight up removed as it just means I need a alt for each kill to get a Hami-O from each one, and it's just a annoyance more then a hindrance considering they aren't character bound and I can just mail them.

Making giant monsters more worthwhile and meaningful to hunt will make them rewarding and desirable to go after more without feeling like I need 1 alt per run for my chances of actually getting something to be good and not a lousy 5%. More people just take the merits on Hamidon because you are more likely to just make the Inf you need selling Enhancement Converters and buy the enhancement LONG before you ever see even 1 of what you need drop, and the 1 a day limit makes it feel like an arbitrary punishment for not just having a small platoon of alts geared for each kill.

On 1/30/2024 at 12:45 PM, Laucianna said:

Would people want a larger selection of Giant Monsters they could hunt in game?

I would like to see at least one Giant Monster per zone, but not one on the starter zones unless it was on the highest threat-level area in the zone.

In Atlas for example, it doesn't seem like there is all that much activity in the Argosy Industrial Park area, so maybe having a Giant Monster there would be avoidable enough for low level characters.

I definitely think it would be cool to have a giant https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Minions_of_Igneous down in Grendel's Gulch in the Hollows.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

19 hours ago, Cozybread said:

As of now... The way things are set with GM's now is a greatly reduced reward system.  Most people don't have a lot of interest in defeating a GM because the rewards for the effort are not there.  Most of the "effort" being.. making your way to the zone to fight it. 

You seem to be talking from a villain's point of view. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Often heroes band together on some of the servers to do nothing other than go on Giant Monster hunts. That is to say, we travel around to the hero-side of the game looking for Giant Monster spawns and fight several of them one after the other with the same team/league.

Traveling around to different zones is simple at this point - at least on the hero side. Many players that are on Giant-Monster hunting teams seem to be able to spawn supergroup portals and many supergroups have teleporters set up to all zones. Even one player being able to spawn a supergroup portal is enough for a whole league to travel to the next zone. I'm not sure how fast the Rapid Response Portal (since I can't check because the game is down) but the P2W Supergroup Portal recharges every 10 minutes. The P2W Base Transporter - personal teleporter - recharges in 10 minutes aw well. There is also the O-portal and Fast-Travel power; get to Talos, and there is a base portal at the Trum, so you could go to a zone by the tram or supergroup base.

I like giant monster hunts because they are fun, but I'm not running level 50's (3 of my 150+ characters are 50's) and try to avoid speed-runs.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.