Dom Build Advice please

WARMONGER34

Hello all, 

I am looking for build help, I currently run around with 3 buddies and we are interested in running missions and TF's together. I was wanting to play a control/damage class so Dominator fits perfectly. Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated. (our team makeup varies since we throw alts in and mix it up)

Would be helpful if you can provide information about what other ATs your friends will be using. Regardless if you seek for a Dominator recommendation i can give you some feedback.

Plant Control is maybe the top tier pick. You have best AoE confusion in game Seeds of Confusion plus Carrion Creepers. NPCs groups melts fast when you run Plant. A good complement talking about Secondaries now, i would recommend Psionic Assault. Drain Psyche and Psionick Shockwave are great wotrking together. 

Also you should consider Dark Control that have one of the best Pets in game besides solid group control.  Energy or Fire are good secondries also for combining. 

I recommend you to try new Arsenal Control as well. Its performing really nice now is live and you have such a fun and nice tools. 

• Like 1

Ice Control's a good one for teams IMHO - and therefore probably for smaller teams especially - because of the Confuse in Arctic Air. 

I have a funny relationship with Confuses, I have to keep reminding myself that I actually love playing them, but for some reason before I make myself do so I always feel like I shouldn't for some reason, perhaps a lingering concern that "if they kill each other I don't get XP for them!"  Like a little bit of excess XP is an issue anymore, ha! 

Having that cloud of Confuse around you is like a nice uhhh cold blanket allowing your Dom into melee range, I find.  Mine was a Sav Assault Dom, so that Feral Charge just made having Arctic Air even more fun, for my play style.  So if you go Ice, I'd say be sure your other set's good for melee range.

• Like 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

mind, plant are stand out goodens, ice and gravity also good, fire also not too bad for control and has the classic imps everyone loved back on live

fire assault, energy, and earth are good damage secondaries (seismic smash is great), dark not too bad either, ice also not too bad but end heavy

• Like 1

My tips for a new-ish Dominator:

Domination gives you mez protection and the ability to one-shot hold bosses singly or groups, and also completely fills your blue bar when it goes off. It's amazing. Try to have it up as often as possible. I found I used to save it for a special moment which never quite came. I recommend putting it on auto-fire so it fires off as soon as its ready.

Recharge is your friend, for both having Domination come up more often, and for your long recharge group controls.

Take Hasten from the Speed pool, and fire it off manually whenever it's up.

Slot your single target hold for recharge, hold and accuracy. (1 acc, 2 hold, 3 rech - it has high base accuracy). If you face a boss without Domination, you can Hold- do other stuff, Hold again and then keep stacking the holds until they're down. Or Single target hold and then group hold. Unlike Controllers, you wont have to slot this power for damage ever.

You'll have a 90 second group Stun or something similar. Take it, slot if for Acc, Recharge and Stun (or Confuse) (2 of each, it has low base accuracy) and try to open with this on groups.

Your 240 second recharge group hold is less good, but nice to have in your back pocket for dealing with a second group or for bosses when Dom is down.

And once you have a good budget, aim for set IOs with global recharge bonuses. This way you can achieve the nirvana of perma-Dom where you always have Domination up once it's started. (See guide in my signature)

But until then, keep Dom on autofire and enjoy the power of the best controllers in the game!

• Like 3

I have a question to piggy back off of some of the info provided here. Im a newer player to Dom and so far I like the playstyle but at lvl 43 I'm having some SERIOUS issues with Endurance. Im playing Cold/Savage and I seem to run out of endurance almost instantly when not in a group with someone who can provide it or when Dom is not up. I've slotted a decent amount of IO's at this point but could definitely do more. What is the expectation for Endurance reduction in abilities and auras? What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it? 

Edited by Nanobyte

Dom End is often a problem until you've reached perma-Dom, when you'll probably be able to fill up with that juuuust as it's starting to run out.  So if you're not building towards your insane-o levels of recharge yet, that alone can make a big difference for you.  Even with perma-Dom, soloing can go slower so I don't build to Domination as quickly, which means I might have to start popping blues.  I have found that Doms tend to only really feel like they're starting to bloom fairly late - which makes it all worth it for me, but of course YMMV.

And then there's also slotting the usual mix of procs in Health and Stamina to help fuel you (Panacea, Performance Shifter, etc.), do you have all those in your build?

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

6 hours ago, Nanobyte said:

I have a question to piggy back off of some of the info provided here. Im a newer player to Dom and so far I like the playstyle but at lvl 43 I'm having some SERIOUS issues with Endurance. Im playing Cold/Savage and I seem to run out of endurance almost instantly when not in a group with someone who can provide it or when Dom is not up. I've slotted a decent amount of IO's at this point but could definitely do more. What is the expectation for Endurance reduction in abilities and auras? What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it? 

Artic Air is a beast for end consumption. Perma dom does help with that, but still it will be tight. I would recommend if you can get it the Dom ATO Ascendency of the Dominator in AA. As it has end reduction that should hit diminishing returns levels and confuse duration cap.

If you are unable for that I would suggest Frankenslotting it for now. Focusing on End and then Confusion.

Also on general end reduction will help a tonne leveling up if you are not fulled loaded with you IO plan and perma dom. Focusing that in the aura and the savage attacks will be the best plan to keep your blue bar happy.

• Like 1

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

I have an Ice/Savage and it's definitely an endurance hog. In addition to the suggestions above, there's a short list of IO sets that offer Endurance Discount as a set bonus. It can be tough to fit these on a dominator if you're also chasing recharge for perma-dom.

Resist Damage/Unbreakable Guard - 2.5% discount w/ 2 pieces

Ranged AoE/Annihilation - 3.0% discount w/ 5 pieces

Teleport/Warp - 3.0% discount w/ 3 pieces

Healing/Preventative Medicine - 3.75% discount w/ 5 pieces

Defense/Reactive Defense - 3.75% discount w/ 5 pieces

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller