Where the heck should the Ascendancy +DMG proc go?

ZorkNemesis

As a general Dominator question, where is this proc the most effective?  That stacking damage bonus can do wonders but since it's limited to Control powers I can never figure out just where it should go.  I've usually been putting it in the ST hold but I tend to forget to use that in my rotation proper and the generally faster recharge ruins the proc rate.  Meanwhile most controls feel too slow to put it in limiting to just one stack at a time.  The only power I found a good spot for was Arctic Air which usually stacks 2 or 3 times as long as i'm in a group (easy enough on an Ice/Savage) but I feel like i'm wasting it's potential most other times.  What are the best powers to use this proc in?

And on a more specific case, where should I put it for an Illusion/Arsenal Dom?  I considered putting it in Buttstroke on it's own but I'm not always in range to grope things.

• Like 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

For me I strive to have it in my attack chain. Otherwise it will sit mostly unused. So even though buttstroke might not be ideal as you won't always be up close, it is still probably the better spot.

If you are like me, I rarely use my single target controls in mid/late game. It is just aoe mez and get to work.

If it were up to me I'd give all dom attacks like a 1% chance to immob just so you could slot that ATO in a damage power as it should be.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Frosticus said:

in my attack chain

There.  That's the right place for it.  I have it slotted in Thunder Kick on my Dark/Martial, and it's very rare for it not to build up 2-3 stacks during combat.  I don't spam Thunder Kick, either, I just cycle through my chain and it keeps piling on the +Damage.

Mechanically, it's a native 6 PPM proc with a hacky restriction which only allows it to make a proc check in the first 0.5s of every 1.0s, so it behaves like a 6 PPM proc but is still kind of limited to a 3 PPM rate.  It works best when treated like a 6 PPM proc, slotted in a power with a fast recharge time and frequently used.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I know on my Ice/Psi Dom, I have it in Artic Air as it helps with the power and procs nicely on that.

But indeed as other stated best spot is in the attack chain, usually in the hold. My only expection for attack chain procs is I have it in seismic smash as the damage it can help put out is silly.

• Like 1

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

2 hours ago, Dr_Snokle said:

I know on my Ice/Psi Dom, I have it in Artic Air as it helps with the power and procs nicely on that.

But indeed as other stated best spot is in the attack chain, usually in the hold. My only expection for attack chain procs is I have it in seismic smash as the damage it can help put out is silly.

have you considered putting the two purple damage procs from both the melee set and hold set in seismic smash? it’s a good place for making the wild damage even more crazy

i also have the dom proc in my hold, it’s usually my opener or a key part of my attack chain

1 hour ago, MoonSheep said:

have you considered putting the two purple damage procs from both the melee set and hold set in seismic smash? it’s a good place for making the wild damage even more crazy

i also have the dom proc in my hold, it’s usually my opener or a key part of my attack chain

Yeah right now, I run two Winter melee ACC/DAM, ACC/DAM/END, then purple hold proc ATO proc, hold proc, PVP melee proc. I run the five melee purple in heavy mallet there.

• Like 1

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

There are a fair number of assault sets that don't accept the +damage proc IO. In those cases I tend to put the whole set, including the +damage proc, into an AOE control that gets used a fair amount, preferably as an opener before using assault set powers. That way there's a fair amount of uptime for one stack of the proc and it will often activate just before delivering a damage alpha on a new spawn. Not ideal, but at least the proc offers a modest buff that way. 

It would be better if that proc worked in any assault set or control power and that when it procs would add both a modest control effect (mag 2 immobilize, 50% chance, for example) and an increase to damage. 

• Like 1

It can definitely be tricky to use effectively. I typically will use it in an AoE "soft" cc power. I actually just stuck it in the single target hold on my new arse/sonic domi because it didn't have too many other choices given my build goals.

Personally since it's an ATO, I'd be open to it being a global proc that would apply across all of our powers similar to how some of the other ATs have global procs on their ATOs.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

It can definitely be tricky to use effectively. I typically will use it in an AoE "soft" cc power. I actually just stuck it in the single target hold on my new arse/sonic domi because it didn't have too many other choices given my build goals.

Personally since it's an ATO, I'd be open to it being a global proc that would apply across all of our powers similar to how some of the other ATs have global procs on their ATOs.

Agreed that it should have lots of slotting options. 

At present it only works in powers that offer control. One could reasonably say that's thematic. But, one could also say that such a proc can offer a modest control effect along with a damage bump, be slotted in lots of different powers, and that would also be thematic. 

• Like 1