The game's been unplayable on my main computer since the update.

I've already posted this in Bug Reports, but maybe that's the wrong place if I want help with an answer.

Ever since the update, my primary computer's been completely unable to load in many Zones, causing a crash and a system complaint about RAM I'd never seen before - see the link above.

Other zones are unreliable, and I know of at least one mission that functioned up until the last part, then crashed.

I do have another computer on which the game works better (i.e. at all), but that's otherwise not as good a computer, and as of a day or two ago, I've started having nasty MapServer issues even on it, losing connection and getting spit out from time to time (including right before finishing missions).

Any ideas?

Edited by AspieAnarchy

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem

• Game Master

Do you have an old copy of vidiotmaps installed? That causes no end of problems as the updates cause it to keep looking and looking and demanding more and more ram till the game dies. Try removing all the mod files in your data folder

Posted (edited)

I do not; unless it happens to mean something other than what I think it does, I have no mod files whatsoever (after all, that would require having a mod-installer tool, wouldn't it?).

Edited by AspieAnarchy

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

Thank you for your time, here are some specs:

hwinfo2.png

00hwspecs1.png

00gwinfo1.png

Posted (edited)

Also, I have only just updated my graphics driver from "as of 2016" to "as of 2018", and have not yet tried to see if that has improved anything, but now shall....

EDIT: OK! I just tried again, it hasn't gotten better (at least as far as the "is it at all possible to log into First Ward" test is concerned).

Edited by AspieAnarchy

• City Council

You have 16GB of RAM, but you're on a 32 Bit OS, which limits your total RAM to a MAXIMUM of 4GB.  However you are limited yet again to 3GB (2.98GB) Likely due to something like onboard video reserving RAM (yes, even with a dedicated GPU, if the onboard GPU is left enabled it will steal RAM).  You REALLY need to not be on a 32bit OS, you're not able to use 75% of your installed memory, Windows 7 x64 can be found in a number of places, for a range of prices.

If you 100% can not get to a 64bit version of Windows try the following instructions:

In a command prompt started as administrator paste: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 2560 and reboot.

If you have issues with that same process, command prompt as administrator paste: bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa, and reboot to disable the flag.

By default, 32bit Windows is limited to 2GB of Memory per user process, the above commands allow you to use up to 2560 MB, you can go higher but with your limited RAM (2.98GB), I wouldn't go any higher than that.

• Thanks 1

So, I've tried the above, and while I'm still a little gunshy, I think it worked!

I can finally pass the "log into First Ward" test, so that's a definite change!

On 3/2/2024 at 11:35 PM, Michiyo said:

You have 16GB of RAM, but you're on a 32 Bit OS, which limits your total RAM to a MAXIMUM of 4GB.  However you are limited yet again to 3GB (2.98GB) Likely due to something like onboard video reserving RAM (yes, even with a dedicated GPU, if the onboard GPU is left enabled it will steal RAM).  You REALLY need to not be on a 32bit OS, you're not able to use 75% of your installed memory, Windows 7 x64 can be found in a number of places, for a range of prices.

If you 100% can not get to a 64bit version of Windows try the following instructions:

In a command prompt started as administrator paste: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 2560 and reboot.

If you have issues with that same process, command prompt as administrator paste: bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa, and reboot to disable the flag.

By default, 32bit Windows is limited to 2GB of Memory per user process, the above commands allow you to use up to 2560 MB, you can go higher but with your limited RAM (2.98GB), I wouldn't go any higher than that.

This^

I like the challenge of keeping old stuff in use as well to the final fizzle, but this one change would be huge benefit.

Edited by shortguy on indom
added words

PvP Capture the Flag!  Bring some fun into it....

14 hours ago, shortguy on indom said:

This^

I like the challenge of keeping old stuff in use as well to the final fizzle, but this one change would be huge benefit.

Me too. My oldest wreck still plays CoH. Had to ditch wichever relic of Windows that was on it for PopOs! (Linux made easy) and now it runs like clockwork.. Ish.

//Jack

Edited by Jack Power
Spelling

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx

14 hours ago, shortguy on indom said:

@AspieAnarchy

You do know that you AMD 4350 chip supports 64bit right? 

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/FX-Series/FX-4350.html

If you can get ahold of a 64bit Windows 7 operating system... or upgrade to 10...?

I did say it works now, right?

Anyway, I have reasons for not "upgrading" to 10, but I will look into the former idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

Understood.  Would be hesitant myself had a disk full of 32 Bit programs with a good chance of them not working in that questionable 'compatibility' mode after upgrade to 64.

spitball ideas:

Dual boot system maybe possible.

or maybe .iso of current drive and run external.

My system uses just under 2G mem when standing still in the game and ramps up from there.  

Happy for you that its running.

peace.

11 hours ago, Jack Power said:

Me too. My oldest wreck still plays CoH. Had to ditch whichever relic of Windows that was on it for PopOs! (Linux made easy) and now it runs like clockwork.. Ish.

//Jack

Cool!

13 hours ago, shortguy on indom said:

Cool!

Plus I just last night got a 12-ish years old laptop running PopOs! to run CoH so me and both my boys can play at our counrty place in the summer. Nothing else. Just CoH. 🙂

//Jack

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx

I was running a 2012 Dell with PopOS while I was building a new computer.   I do need to see if I can get it running again.  It's got an issue with the keyboard, and I don't think I want to replace the keyboard again at this point.  (I could probably replace the whole thing for just a little more...)