Arachnos Crab Quirks

So… took up the weekly challenge and been on a pure Redside toon last couple days.  I chose a Crab, an archetype I played for a couple weeks on live and a few days on HC about two years ago.   It is very different.  

Coming over from Corruptors and Blasters I have found a new respect for the quirky Crab.  It has one KB AoE which easily takes an Overwhelming Force.  It is not as strong at damage as many ATs.  Shocking I know. But you know what?  If you put it up against volume… Oh My Gawd.

At 43…with a decidedly slapped together “build” that I am slapping things on as I level and using unslotters because I have little to no plan.  I joined a team assaulting a Longbow base for the Mako arc. This was a real fight, especially since our team split, there were team deaths, and we were in an Arachnos base for some reason.  The terrain sucked.  The Crab?  Performed like a champ.  

You see, the thing has strengths.  One…huuuuuge AoE.  From webbing grenades to 60 arc to large blasts it does not suffer from “missed you by that much” syndrome.  When the ambush hits eat a med purple.  Guess what? Since you have mediocre native defense and resists…a medium purple insp puts you in a decent neighborhood.

Back to work.  And what tools do we use? The Ghetto nuke.  Which is not great.  It is slow. It does not have a great range.  But you know what. It tanks!  Thats right. You stealth up and plop that in the middle of LB. Or, if ambushed, drop it into the wave coming at you.  Then you casually pop a can opener into the area.  Can opener?  Thats right. Venom Grenade, and it has a powerful resist debuff. That goes off, then the Nuke, which has been taunting peeps hard, then you follow up with a ton of AoE.  Sure the damage is not mind boggling.  But it will clean spawns. And you have the tools to web large areas, taunt people into the kill zone, and debuff res in the kill zone.  Oh, and the venom does okay damage too, more AoE. It is a systematic playstyle.  It is not sexy.  You are driving one of Capt Makos murder machines.  

Building it.  So, I have just begun to contemplate what I am slotting at 50. I will use bombardment sets (2 of each in 5 powers) to increase overall range +25%.  This is (for me) a desperately needed must have.  I will not chase big defense or resist numbers. No DDR, so just carry insp and work the terrain (hide behind whoever decides to tank). I will get some global rech.  LotG and whatever else fits naturally. I have noticed I need to watch the End curve. This may be solved with Alpha, but I need to pick one still. I want a +damage Alpha.  Prob Misculature Core or Intuition Radial. (+33% dam, + range).  Odd since no holds but the +range and +taunt (that crazy mini nuke….). Building a Crab looks like it is going to be that…walking sideways to victory! 🦀 

• Thumbs Up 3

I built a crabbermind awhile back and it is awesome on teams with it double leadership pool.  The pet do whatever they want so it leaves you to be more focused.

Solo is not as much fun due to the lack of damage and I don't team that much, I don't play it as much.

If you team up a lot a crab is an awesome toon.

18 hours ago, Snarky said:

So… took up the weekly challenge and been on a pure Redside toon last couple days.  I chose a Crab, an archetype I played for a couple weeks on live and a few days on HC about two years ago.   It is very different.  

Coming over from Corruptors and Blasters I have found a new respect for the quirky Crab.  It has one KB AoE which easily takes an Overwhelming Force.  It is not as strong at damage as many ATs.  Shocking I know. But you know what?  If you put it up against volume… Oh My Gawd.

At 43…with a decidedly slapped together “build” that I am slapping things on as I level and using unslotters because I have little to no plan.  I joined a team assaulting a Longbow base for the Mako arc. This was a real fight, especially since our team split, there were team deaths, and we were in an Arachnos base for some reason.  The terrain sucked.  The Crab?  Performed like a champ.  

You see, the thing has strengths.  One…huuuuuge AoE.  From webbing grenades to 60 arc to large blasts it does not suffer from “missed you by that much” syndrome.  When the ambush hits eat a med purple.  Guess what? Since you have mediocre native defense and resists…a medium purple insp puts you in a decent neighborhood.

Back to work.  And what tools do we use? The Ghetto nuke.  Which is not great.  It is slow. It does not have a great range.  But you know what. It tanks!  Thats right. You stealth up and plop that in the middle of LB. Or, if ambushed, drop it into the wave coming at you.  Then you casually pop a can opener into the area.  Can opener?  Thats right. Venom Grenade, and it has a powerful resist debuff. That goes off, then the Nuke, which has been taunting peeps hard, then you follow up with a ton of AoE.  Sure the damage is not mind boggling.  But it will clean spawns. And you have the tools to web large areas, taunt people into the kill zone, and debuff res in the kill zone.  Oh, and the venom does okay damage too, more AoE. It is a systematic playstyle.  It is not sexy.  You are driving one of Capt Makos murder machines.  

Building it.  So, I have just begun to contemplate what I am slotting at 50. I will use bombardment sets (2 of each in 5 powers) to increase overall range +25%.  This is (for me) a desperately needed must have.  I will not chase big defense or resist numbers. No DDR, so just carry insp and work the terrain (hide behind whoever decides to tank). I will get some global rech.  LotG and whatever else fits naturally. I have noticed I need to watch the End curve. This may be solved with Alpha, but I need to pick one still. I want a +damage Alpha.  Prob Misculature Core or Intuition Radial. (+33% dam, + range).  Odd since no holds but the +range and +taunt (that crazy mini nuke….). Building a Crab looks like it is going to be that…walking sideways to victory! 🦀 

A new horrible image haunts my nightmares after reading this.

image.thumb.png.481924e003bf24cbb47fcad8cbaabbed.png

• Haha 2