Aid Self from the medicine pool

Legendlore

Hi, 

I’ve been leveling up a broad sword / SR brute and was wondering if taking aid self from the medicine pool would be a waste of time?  There is no self heal from either my primary or secondary, so I am thinking that it may be helpful (of course I would also take the power that would make aid self non interruptible).  Thanks in advance for any advice on the topic. 

7 minutes ago, Legendlore said:

Hi, 

I’ve been leveling up a broad sword / SR brute and was wondering if taking aid self from the medicine pool would be a waste of time?  There is no self heal from either my primary or secondary, so I am thinking that it may be helpful (of course I would also take the power that would make aid self non interruptible).  Thanks in advance for any advice on the topic. 

Hi and Welcome to the game and forums!

My opinion... don't bother.  Just load up on green, purple, and orange inspires for now.  Super Reflexes is so good when you get up in levels and get it slotted, that you'll end up respec'ing out of the medicine pool since you'll rarely, if ever, use it.  Yes, it might be handy now as you level, but in your 30s and 40s, you'll wish you had other pool powers instead. 

Instead, take other pools that can increase your defense:  Maneuvers from Leadership, Combat Jumping from Leaping, Weave from Fighting (having Tough is a great mule to carry the 2 +Def special IOs) - there are others that could help too, depending on your concept, but these 3 are the big ones to consider instead of the Medicine Pool.

Also, you can recruit and team with a Defender for heals/buffs!  😄  

If you don't have a fully IO'd build then take it.  It'll come in handy at times!  Especially if you are the lead tank and dying and losing aggro will become a cascade failure - you're Super Reflexes, hit Taunt then stand there and heal, it's a viable strategy even on SOs!

Short answer:  No I wouldn't bother

Long answer:  On Live my main was Claws/SR and my badge hunter.  The choice ended up far more useful for healing an ally (and working towards the badges).  Eventually it morphed into set mules for +max health and regen bonuses.  On HC I didn't bother as I took Rebirth and that is a much larger heal ... and more often than not I use it to heal others such as after Shadow Cyst goes boom or when things are trying to go sideways for the team with lots of colorful teammates showing.  While leveling maybe more useful than inspires, maybe.  In the end game not so much.  More important to hit those defense caps, get DDR to 95+ and talking from mitigation pov to get +max health and regen on the build.  Rarely do any Scrappers or Brutes I team with exceed the health or regen numbers on the current version of my main.  I am likely sacrificing some dps but outside of Hardmode her durability is top notch and only dies when I'm being stupid.

10 hours ago, Legendlore said:

Hi, 

I usually take Aid self on alts without a heal if I can fit it in. Aid self can be interrupted too so the SR is a very good set to use it with as it’s defence based. 

• Thumbs Up 1