Ele Secondary gets no Love

WuTang

I never see anyone saying that Electric Armor is this or that. I hit 46 last night on an Ele/Ele Scrapper and it's been a joy to level. It has alot of tricks and decent (to me) resists especially to Energy. But I got to wondering if, after 50, it falls flat, cause I never see it recommended anywhere.

This started out as a Black Lightning theme hero but once I got into him more I started realizing it might be the best combo (Ele/Ele) that I've ran. 20% boost to recharge, an AOE aura toggle, a strong End drain/transfer, a decent heal with a blue bar boost, decent resists, and it's so endurance friendly that I can pretty much go ham on every pull. It's one drawback maybe that there is no AOE taunt, but I don't mind sometimes when a bad guy or 3 peels of and stops pounding on me for a few, they eventually find their way back to be "arrested."

Thoughts or tips?

• Thumbs Up 1

Resistance-based armor sets like Electric Armor are generally better on Brutes and Tankers because of their higher resistance cap (90%), compared to Scrapper or Stalker (75%).  That's one reason why you don't see much about Electric Armor in regards to Scrappers.

Another reason is because Radiation Armor is close to Electric Armor in that it is resistance based and has a high amount of energy damage resistance, but is also (yeah, I'm just going to say it), a bit overtuned with Ground Zero and proc-bombs.  So it can do more damage than Electric Armor between the combination of Ground Zero's brokenness, and the brokenness of procs.

The last couple of years of live, Electric Armor was actually one of the top meta armor sets on Brutes and Tankers thanks to the large amount of energy and psi damage in Incarnate Trials.  It's just overshadowed by Radiation Armor these days.  That doesn't make it a bad power set (at least not on Brutes and Tankers), it's just IMO Radiation Armor is a bit overtuned.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lunar Ronin said:

Resistance-based armor sets like Electric Armor are generally better on Brutes and Tankers because of their higher resistance cap (90%), compared to Scrapper or Stalker (75%).  That's one reason why you don't see much about Electric Armor in regards to Scrappers.

Another reason is because Radiation Armor is close to Electric Armor in that it is resistance based and has a high amount of energy damage resistance, but is also (yeah, I'm just going to say it), a bit overtuned with Ground Zero and proc-bombs.  So it can do more damage than Electric Armor between the combination of Ground Zero's brokenness, and the brokenness of procs.

The last couple of years of live, Electric Armor was actually one of the top meta armor sets on Brutes and Tankers thanks to the large amount of energy and psi damage in Incarnate Trials.  It's just overshadowed by Radiation Armor these days.  That doesn't make it a bad power set (at least not on Brutes and Tankers), it's just IMO Radiation Armor is a bit overtuned.

So without Rad armor Electic shines? I can make 2nd best work :) Besides, I have a Rad armor Brute and those effects are cool but Electric is better. Just so long as when I get to 50 I don't find myself stuck with nothing to do....

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, WuTang said:

I never see anyone saying that Electric Armor is this or that. I hit 46 last night on an Ele/Ele Scrapper and it's been a joy to level. It has alot of tricks and decent (to me) resists especially to Energy. But I got to wondering if, after 50, it falls flat, cause I never see it recommended anywhere.

This started out as a Black Lightning theme hero but once I got into him more I started realizing it might be the best combo (Ele/Ele) that I've ran. 20% boost to recharge, an AOE aura toggle, a strong End drain/transfer, a decent heal with a blue bar boost, decent resists, and it's so endurance friendly that I can pretty much go ham on every pull. It's one drawback maybe that there is no AOE taunt, but I don't mind sometimes when a bad guy or 3 peels of and stops pounding on me for a few, they eventually find their way back to be "arrested."

Thoughts or tips?

I quite like Electric Armor and have said it's better than people think.  You will want to try to max those Resists.  You will want Hasten to get the Heal back faster.  Keep orange inspirations on hand for that very NASTY Toxic resist.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BrandX said:

I quite like Electric Armor and have said it's better than people think.  You will want to try to max those Resists.  You will want Hasten to get the Heal back faster.  Keep orange inspirations on hand for that very NASTY Toxic resist.

Yeah I'm trying to get them up. Got Psi at 75% and Energy as well, got Lethal and Smashing in the mid 60s, Cold and Fire are low 50s, Toxic is only 11%.

When you say "max" do you mean 75% or whatever the soft cap is?

Yes, brutes and tanks love the set. It started as a brute set and then got proliferated out somewhere in the mid teen's, issue-wise. The only reason scrappers wouldn't like it as much as the others is because of the general bias towards defense over resist sets due to the lower resist caps. Otherwise it's very durable, has good utility, and a damage aura! There's a lot to like here.  A tank or brute with electric armor is on my bucket list. Unfortunately I haven't come up with a character using it that I truly want to play, mostly due to limited time and other character concepts getting my attention. I also haven't found a melee set I want to pair with it. There's something about electric melee that's not quite right to me.

Interesting tidbit, the resistance you get from your secondary on a scrapper is identical to the resistance a brute gets. The only difference is they have a higher cap and slightly higher base HP (much larger HP cap). 

• Thumbs Up 1

I like it on my scrappers, but I see the point of people preferring radiation or preferring to play it on a brute.

It shouldn't be that difficult to get many/most of your resistances to the 75% cap by the time you hit 50, but you are going to be way over 75% on energy, which just feels a little wasteful!  (Yes, it does help with your damage resistance debuff, but that should mostly be on the fringes.)  As a set, you are set on resistance and endurance recovery, but I'd like a little more help on the healing side, and on the defense side.  I find that in 50+ content at 4/8, my electric armors tend to get overwhelmed more than some of my others.

• Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

Its fun and i enjoy leveling up as /elec on a scrapper but i don't enjoy it at 50+ content compared to other sets. Its good on a tanker though if you build it right you can get 90% to all resists except toxic. which is pretty crazy.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, WuTang said:

Yeah I'm trying to get them up. Got Psi at 75% and Energy as well, got Lethal and Smashing in the mid 60s, Cold and Fire are low 50s, Toxic is only 11%.

When you say "max" do you mean 75% or whatever the soft cap is?

Yes

• Thanks 1

@Yomo Kimyata

I took your advice on the enhancements. Since this was a fresh toon it felt easier than starting over with my other Scapper. Focused on resists first melee second and used attuned stuff. Life was made so much the easier for it. So thank you very much for the heads up. I tried picking IOs that plugged holes but I'm not very good at frankenslotting, yet. You definitely pointed me in the right direction.

I've now put in as many bids as my Inf allows and will be respecing as soon as the enhancements roll in.

Quick question about Hasten (for anyone), I've got my recharge up to 58% and I've plopped 2 50lvl recharge in Hasten but it's still not good for perma. Where do I need to be to make that happen? Still about 30 seconds off. With Hasten my recharge is 128%.

44 minutes ago, WuTang said:

@Yomo Kimyata

I took your advice on the enhancements. Since this was a fresh toon it felt easier than starting over with my other Scapper. Focused on resists first melee second and used attuned stuff. Life was made so much the easier for it. So thank you very much for the heads up. I tried picking IOs that plugged holes but I'm not very good at frankenslotting, yet. You definitely pointed me in the right direction.

I've now put in as many bids as my Inf allows and will be respecing as soon as the enhancements roll in.

Quick question about Hasten (for anyone), I've got my recharge up to 58% and I've plopped 2 50lvl recharge in Hasten but it's still not good for perma. Where do I need to be to make that happen? Still about 30 seconds off. With Hasten my recharge is 128%.

I would put 2 lvl 50 IOs in Hasten and +5 them both (boosters available with Merits).

You don't have to get it perma...though with Electric Armor, it will be easier to do since you get Lightning Reflexes.

For the heal, I'd put the whole Preventive Medicine set in it.  That gives you good set bonuses, which includes more recharge and the +Absorb Proc that will go off on it's own periodically.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BrandX said:

I would put 2 lvl 50 IOs in Hasten and +5 them both (boosters available with Merits).

You don't have to get it perma...though with Electric Armor, it will be easier to do since you get Lightning Reflexes.

For the heal, I'd put the whole Preventive Medicine set in it.  That gives you good set bonuses, which includes more recharge and the +Absorb Proc that will go off on it's own periodically.

Ok. All I've heard is "perma Hasten ASAP." And I will say that when it's on, oh man is it fun.

Yes I popped a full set of attuned Preventive Med in the heal. That's great advice that I'll be putting to use on all my other toons.

I should hit 50 this evening, my first one! I've only got like 130ish merits. What should be my first move? Any post 50 guides or guidance?

On 3/7/2024 at 8:46 AM, WuTang said:

Thoughts or tips?

What's not to love about a set that you have more than enough powers that can take performance shifters and power transfers?'

I enjoy my electric/electric as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, WuTang said:

Ok. All I've heard is "perma Hasten ASAP." And I will say that when it's on, oh man is it fun.

Yes I popped a full set of attuned Preventive Med in the heal. That's great advice that I'll be putting to use on all my other toons.

I should hit 50 this evening, my first one! I've only got like 130ish merits. What should be my first move? Any post 50 guides or guidance?

Besides going through Incarnate arc...ITF +4/8, TinPex TF (Tin Mage & Apex TF combo ... 5 missions total for them both and you get 40 merits each AND 1 EMP Merit, plus can get a random incarnate salvage option...if lucky it could be a Very Rare) and Hami Raids (Merits...80 on first run, 40 on all the ones after it) with the Weekly Strike Target for the Notice of the Well (for the Alpha slot)