Being affected by Group Travel powers should be OFF by default.

The number of times I am asked to turn off group fly on teams is very frustrating! These people simply forgot they can/should turn it off themselves and demand you take the power off when really you just have it on for your pets. Even though you are in the right here they aren't going to exit the mission mid combat to talk to null the gull so its you that suffers for your teammates forgetfulness.

The days of needing group fly for Hamidon is over so having it off by default just make sense and no one likes being moved by group teleport by default. players even get temp fly and at level 2 after the recent patch so this game explicitly encourages using temp powers to fly.

The alternative that would work better, but take more effort to implement would be to create 2 versions of the group travel powers group fly, pet fly and group teleport, pet teleport, this way the user of the power has the agency to decide which version is best to use at the time.

Edited by Mystoc
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Someone sounds sore over a raid.

Group fly is generally *beneficial* for pets, so no, telling them to turn it off mid mission or raid is no more valid than telling (say) a tanker that their armors look ugly and upset you and they should turn them off.

I don't disagree that it should be off by default, or be able to toggled by a slash command (that could be turned into a macro,) and/or having null available in raid zones (which jus really upsets some people apparently.) But right now the power's in your hands. You don't have to be affected by it. So how about nixing the "other people should use or not use the powers I say" thing. It's not *their* "forgetfulness" that leaves you affected by it.

• Thumbs Down 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I finally respec'd into Group Fly on my Bots MM just because it's basically required to move those things around, especially in things like Hamidon or when GM hunting, and now know the frustration of OP. I've had it for less than a week and have gotten yelled at to turn it off no less than six times already. My pets literally cannot keep up with SJ or normal Fly on their own, so I don't really have a choice in the matter unless I want to resummon them every time I get to a destination, and then when I get there I get yelled at for having my 'pet travel' skill enabled.

I'd be happy with any solution to it at this point.

• Like 3

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

I hear you OP.  However, the powers developers have stated that disabling Group Fly and Team Teleport by default isn't an option, as they would stop working on pets and henchmen which is what most people who take those powers use them for.

In the meantime, I point people to Null the Gull in Pocket D.  If they keep complaining, I ignore them and keep it on.  It helps that I lead the teams. If they leave the team over it, so be it.

• Thumbs Up 1

As long as there are powersets with powers that rely on ground contact, Group Fly will be disruptive. The fact that there's no way to correct an oversight in the middle of a raid or other content is a genuine problem.

Disabling it really needs to be a full menu option or a slash command.

I do like the idea of pets inheriting a travel power when their player picks one up. Either fly if their owner chooses fly, or maybe a special teleport that automatically teleports them to their owner if they're more than X feet away for y amount of time and don't have an active target. Then group fly could be phased out in favor of something else.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, PoptartsNinja said:

As long as there are powersets with powers that rely on ground contact, Group Fly will be disruptive. The fact that there's no way to correct an oversight in the middle of a raid or other content is a genuine problem.

I do like the idea of pets inheriting a travel power when their player picks one up. Either fly if their owner chooses fly, or maybe a special teleport that automatically teleports them to their owner if they're more than X feet away for y amount of time and don't have an active target. Then group fly could be phased out in favor of something else.

Especially with the affordability of a basic jetpack at 5,000 Inf per hour, this would be wonderful. Technically, pets *do* resummon themselves if they're too far away already, but in practice they're fully content with just running along the ground aggroing everything and getting imploded in level 50 zones or outdoor i-Trials and Raids.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

1 hour ago, Lockely said:

I finally respec'd into Group Fly on my Bots MM just because it's basically required to move those things around, especially in things like Hamidon or when GM hunting, and now know the frustration of OP. I've had it for less than a week and have gotten yelled at to turn it off no less than six times already. My pets literally cannot keep up with SJ or normal Fly on their own, so I don't really have a choice in the matter unless I want to resummon them every time I get to a destination, and then when I get there I get yelled at for having my 'pet travel' skill enabled.

I'd be happy with any solution to it at this point.

MM pets can't keep up with an MM that isn't using any travel powers at all. (Though they can SJ to where the MM is. They just won't unless it is 'necessary'.)

10 hours ago, Laucianna said:

Personally I just think normal fly should apply to pets as well, since they are an extension of yourself rather then needing a whole separate power to enable them to fly. Though this would remove probably the final reason anyone picks Group fly.

that would be nice but then group fly and group teleport would need to replaced with something else like you said

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, PoptartsNinja said:

yes please! that would be awesome I am asked about this so much I could just have a macro ready to tell them the command to turn group fly off for them.

45 minutes ago, Mystoc said:

that would be nice but then group fly and group teleport would need to replaced with something else like you said

Fly: "Unbound" -- Long cooldown click power that breaks immob and -fly

Teleport: "Recall Portal" -- Create a stationary point with a long duration that you can use a click power to return to, very fast animation.

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

2 hours ago, Sunsette said:

Fly: "Unbound" -- Long cooldown click power that breaks immob and -fly

Teleport: "Recall Portal" -- Create a stationary point with a long duration that you can use a click power to return to, very fast animation.

I like the teleport option, the fly one doesn't seem as good by comparison but it's hard with fly 😄 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rudra said:

Though they can SJ to where the MM is. They just won't unless it is 'necessary'.

Pet SJ isn't the same as player SJ, it's almost exclusively for covering vertical distance and they only use it if they can't find a valid path to a walkable place you've asked them to stand (like the top of a street light).

I discounted Pet SJ entirely because it doesn't grant them any extra movement speed. Mobs don't jump unless they have to.

20 hours ago, PoptartsNinja said:

MENU OPTION PLEASE: This.  It feels awful having my mobility restricted and my speed cut because I didn't go to Null the Gull yet on my alt, or I forgot one of my 8 mandatory clicks while I was down there talking to Null.

Choose your weapon:  Okay, I choose words.

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."

23 hours ago, Rudra said:

Though they can SJ to where the MM is. They just won't unless it is 'necessary'.

Pet SJ isn't the same as player SJ, it's almost exclusively for covering vertical distance and they only use it if they can't find a valid path to a walkable place you've asked them to stand (like the top of a street light).

Well, yeah, that is why I said they won't use it unless it is 'necessary'. Because the game AI avoids using things like SJ unless it needs to in order to get to a standing surface to reach you/the target. This behavior is exhibited by enemy mobs as well.

I discounted Pet SJ entirely because it doesn't grant them any extra movement speed. Mobs don't jump unless they have to.

That's fair.