Acrobatics still worth it?

Tankshock

If you have zero other mez protection it's better than nothing. But probably not better than another power choice from pri/sec/epic.

I can think of a long list of effects I'd rather have.

The KB protection is -7. You can get it in CJ with the right enhancer, Karma has a -4 I think.

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

I'm pondering this myself, as I have several toons that have traditionally used acro. Being that kb mag that we encounter requires either 4 or 11 to overcome, it seems 1 kb io or three is necessary.

So, throwing one kb io in, and dumping acro results in a loss of mag 2 stun protection. The only way I can see to buff that is with the blaster ATO, defiant barrage, to proc an increase to mag 3.

I have been a bit too lazy to research common mobs that utilize a mag 2 stun, and wonder how prolific it is, or how scarce.

So, acro+blaster ATO could be mag 3, and worth it. Otherwise, I'm leaning towards speccing out on all non blasters.

I think it's underestimated for squishies. Certainly in a levelling up build it is. I tend to pick it on my Blasters and can't remember being held with it. Acrobatics's mag 2 hold protection will protect your squishy from the large majority of CC since these for a ranged character strongly tend to be holds/kb (while a very large majority of stuns are melee which oftentimes can be avoided by positioning). The hold resistance offers a second layer of defense making enemies less likely to successfully stack holds on you. Especially if you add IOs like Aegis: Status Resistance on top of that. If you build for soft-capped defenses through IO-sets, the usefulness of Acrobatics (and any other defensive powers) is diminished given these automatic defenses will severely reduce the amount of mez actually hitting you and also protect you from incoming damage when the lucky mezzes do land.

• Like 2

• 7 months later

Hate to necro this (heck, it's only been 7-8 months)...

I was poking around Mids and noticed that Acrobatics takes KB IO's and there is a base, non-enhanceable mag 7 KB/KU protection, followed by a mag 2 that IS enhanceable (spell check does not like enhanceable, it may not be a real word - but it is today!).

Further analysis shows the following:

• 0 KB IO:  Mag 2
  • 1 KB IO:  Mag 3.53 
  • 2 KB IO:  Mag 4.98
  • 3 KB IO:  Mag 5.51

So, in theory (but why would you), one could have a mag 12.51 KB protection from a 3-slotted (with level 50 KB IO's) Acrobatics.  Note that the mag 2-5.51 is suppressed if mezzed.  The base mag 7 is always on.  Obviously the HOLD is still mag 2 only.

Personally, I feel Acrobatics should LOSE the slots.  Make it a slot-free auto-power and call it a day.  It is underwhelming now that sets and procs and such exist, and no one would really need to take it unless they want that ghetto hold-only protection provided by Acro+Blaster proc mag 1 BS.  No thanks, that'll get old real fast.

Would you take Acro if it was FREE of slots?  No endurance cost, no slotting.

Edited by r0y
table got mangled
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, r0y said:

Hate to necro this (heck, it's only been 7-8 months)...

I was poking around Mids and noticed that Acrobatics takes KB IO's and there is a base, non-enhanceable mag 7 KB/KU protection, followed by a mag 2 that IS enhanceable (spell check does not like enhanceable, it may not be a real word - but it is today!).

Planner is wrong.  Acrobatics does not accept any sets.  Just verified that in game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Caulderone said:

Planner is wrong.  Acrobatics does not accept any sets.  Just verified that in game.

Thank you!  I didn't check, as I have no character with it, and didn't want to load up the Pineapple just to see.

I recently took acrobatics on my MM while partway through the RWZ arcs.  I went from being frequently held by Mesmerists etc to it rarely happening, so I was quite happy with it as a pick.

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On 2/9/2020 at 8:01 AM, Grouchybeast said:

I recently took acrobatics on my MM while partway through the RWZ arcs.  I went from being frequently held by Mesmerists etc to it rarely happening, so I was quite happy with it as a pick.

Hmmm... you're making a decent case.  Not sure how many holds that I am getting hit with are only mag 1... then again, I get all the mez's (hold, stun, sleep, immob, etc).  Then again, I've begun to take hover/fly/afterburner on most toons (non-melee/tank types, anyway), so working in either CJ or Acro would be tough.

3 hours ago, r0y said:

Hmmm... you're making a decent case.  Not sure how many holds that I am getting hit with are only mag 1... then again, I get all the mez's (hold, stun, sleep, immob, etc).  Then again, I've begun to take hover/fly/afterburner on most toons (non-melee/tank types, anyway), so working in either CJ or Acro would be tough.

IIRC, characters all have a base Hold protection of Mag 1, so Acrobatics will actually stop any holds that are Mag 3 or less.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

I respecced out of it - Hold is only one kind of mezz and I found myself stunned, slept or feared enough that I decided it was less useful than I though it would be. As with many things in City of Heroes, raising your defence stats is probably a better use of a power slot. 

• Thanks 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

13 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

IIRC, characters all have a base Hold protection of Mag 1, so Acrobatics will actually stop any holds that are Mag 3 or less.

I did not know this, nor have I ever heard of a base Mag 1 protection... In fact, when I look at my Combat Attributes window, under Status Effect Protection, I see 0.0 for everything but KB (which I have a proc in a power for).  Is it a "stealth" protection, you think?  I'm curious about this.  Thanks!

Someone explained it in detail long ago but my memory of it is that Acrobatics will stop one "normal" hold that lands on you from doing anything. If another hold lands while the first is active then Acrobatics' protection is overcome and you're held. "Normal" holds meaning not outliers like AVs or other oddballs.