The ProcBomber

Due to my thoughts that there is always room for one more Alt, what do you think would be the best AT/Powerset to fit the most Procs into? I know this would be far from optimal, but I am looking for something that would be pure chaos. Maybe the procs activate, maybe they don't, but when they all fire off, oh Lordy! My first gut impression is DP, as most can take a lot of different set categories (Slow/Knockback/Acc  Def Debuf/Def Debuff/Ranged/Ranged AOE/etc) Also, what is the most Procs you would put in one power? I'm thinking you would want at least one Acc (although again, for maximum chaos, would you run 6?) Just a thought experiment at the moment, but would this even be feasible? I know it would not be cheap, but hey, you can't take it with you when you're gone, right?

This one could be a good start:

You can actually fit in a few more procs than in the proposed build.

This is the build I started with for my poison/plant controller. I have since moved away from it. I am using different powers, less procs and more set bonuses, to boost my survivability. But it fits your requirements: lots of procs and utter chaos.

Else, the most procs you can fit in a power is 6. You just need to get accuracy from other sources: nerve incarnate, tactics, set bonuses, kismet etc.

Edited by FlammeFatale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I made one of these, an Ice/TA Corruptor. ST attack chain has 4 proc'd out hold attacks (Freeze Ray, Bitter Freeze Ray, Ice Arrow and Spirit Shark Jaws), and proc'd out AoE attacks (Ice Storm, Acid Arrow, Oil Slick, Blizzard and Emp Arrow). Also have School of Sharks but didn't have the spare slots to IO it, but that should be able to jam in several procs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think your gut is a good one.  Don't know if it is the best or not, but I know I heard time/dp defender as one of the better proc masters.  Probably because you can easily get nice defense/survivability with defender version of time, as well as a nice +tohit buff with farsight (so less need for accuracy slotting and more room for procs).  Add in tactics as well if needed.  For damage procs don't care your AT (unless they decide to do that with the very long rumored 'proc nerf' that has so far not materialized), so it is a good way to get a defender with good damage.

• Thanks 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

You might consider Ice/Ninja Blaster. You've got Armageddon, Hecatomb, Unbreakable Constraint, Apocalypse and Superior Blaster's Wrath all in your single target rotation.

• Thanks 1

Super Strength is an excellent proc bomber if you want a melee option. All attacks take 5 to 6 procs, and permaRage means you don't need to hunt for accuracy set bonuses like you would in most other proc builds.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, nihilii said:

Super Strength is an excellent proc bomber if you want a melee option. All attacks take 5 to 6 procs, and permaRage means you don't need to hunt for accuracy set bonuses like you would in most other proc builds.

There are very few powers in the game where slotting more than 4 procs makes sense.

Consider Jab. It deals 35.9242 damage (on a Tanker). 53% (+5 Damage IO) of this would be about 19 damage. Jab with no internal recharge has a 12.29% chance to fire a 3.5 ppm proc for 71.75 damage or an average of 8.82 damage. As a result, you should never slot conventional procs into Jab until you're in ED territory on +damage.

Another example would be Knockout Blow. This immediately twigs your proc radar because it can slot Unbreakable Constraint. However, even at +100% internal recharge, you still have well over the 90% maximum for proc chance so you're losing a meaningful part of the value of that proc. The same problem affects the new recharge levels on epic/patron pool Holds - they're simply too slow to make maximum use of Unbreakable Constraint.

You also have to consider the powers within the context of your rotation (for single target powers). That Jab performance I discussed above? That's if your only offensive power is Jab and you're firing it the moment it comes off recharge. If you put Jab in an actual rotation, the value of those procs collapses. In general, when you're proc'ing a single target rotation, you want the procs in that relatively long recharge power that just barely comes off recharge when its spot in the rotation comes up.

Whether you can proc a power is only half the equation. You also have to do the math to determine whether you should.

Edited by Hjarki
  • Thanks 1

The best proc builds will compensate for what you are giving up by slotting procs. Basically when you slot a power with 4+ damage procs instead of a “traditional” slotting method you are getting more damage out of the power, yet giving up these things:

- set bonuses

- endurance reduction

- accuracy

- recharge (minor issue)

The set bonus vs procs discussion is a lot so I’ll just focus on the endurance, accuracy, and recharge considerations.

—-endurance—-

If you spam attacks at full endurance cost you’re generally gonna have a bad time if you don’t have some other way of getting endurance. slotting stamina can only do so much. Some non-attack sets will have ways of getting endurance or sometimes significantly reducing endurance cost for a little bit. Conversely, endurance hungry sets don’t play nice with proc builds because you will just run out of endurance faster.

—-accuracy and to hit—-

when you slot procs in your attacks you generally don’t hit ED cap for accuracy. This can be troublesome especially if you are facing +4 level enemies you may whiff a lot. Luckily Tohit is more important than accuracy and there are plenty of ways to get to hit though powers. Tactics is one easy way. Look for sets with powers that give some long lasting +to hit bonus to support your procced out attacks (build up dosent last long enough imo). Rage was mentioned in this thread as a good example power that allows you to almost completely ignore accuracy slotting.

—recharge—

this one may or may not be a concern depending on your attack set. If you aren’t slotting recharge in your powers you may find yourself with odd gaps in your attack rotation or be forced to take a bad/low dpa power to get a complete attack rotation. Again, depends on the set and what you are trying to do. Global recharge will help with this, but wait when slotting procs you may not be getting recharge from set bonuses. Look for powers that will give you global recharge bonuses. Also  slot luck of the gambler +recharge in your defense powers.

FWIW I generally proc bomb powers with 4 damage procs, 1 damage enhancement and 1 acc/damage. I don’t bother with anything that isn’t a damage proc for an attack power

TLDR

It’s hard to evaluate proc effectiveness in a power in a vacuum. when evaluating a proc build it’s important to pay attention to what’s going on in your non-attack set. See if it is giving you endurance and accuracy and maybe recharge

• Thanks 1

Ya I 5 proc skewer, ripper and impale on my /thorny dom. Each one takes a different purple set so is over 100% dam enh with a single +5 purple dam + a damage boosting alpha.

Procs also give me a lot of diversified damage types. Thorns is mostly lethal+ toxic (ie often resisted), so adding a bunch of negative, smash, fire, cold, and energy is useful.

There is more to superstrength than just purely looking at the damage numbers. If you are double stacking rage you are spending a lot of time with a huge damage debuff, so procs are worth their weight on gold at that point.

• Thanks 1