Presence Set - Provoke Rework

4 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

I wouldn't want this suggestion to be implemented.

Can you expand on your use of the ST fear? I've never actually seen anyone take it outside of in PvP 15 years ago.

Also i should probably specify, I don't even think presence -needs- the ST fear removed, I just think a better power could be there instead. If all they did was add -range to the taunt, I'd probably still be completely happy.

13 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

Can you expand on your use of the ST fear? I've never actually seen anyone take it outside of in PvP 15 years ago.

I'm not Glacier Peak so I can't speak for them but, if you want an example, I am currently (like the past few days) solo leveling a Mind/Emp controller (long story; self-imposed challenge) and I found the st fear more useful than the aoe. The character (currently) fights in a very methodical fashion and it's more useful to me to have the higher uptime on single targets rather than once per group.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, megaericzero said:

I'm not Glacier Peak so I can't speak for them but, if you want an example, I am currently (like the past few days) solo leveling a Mind/Emp controller (long story; self-imposed challenge) and I found the st fear more useful than the aoe. The character (currently) fights in a very methodical fashion and it's more useful to me to have the higher uptime on single targets rather than once per group.

I could see that, the lower recharge would be more appealing while leveling for sure.

At 50 though and especially while stacking recharge bonuses, I dunno if there'd be much reason for the ST over the aoe. I can see why you'd have both, but i dunno why the ST would be better than the aoe at 50

19 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

Also i should probably specify, I don't even think presence -needs- the ST fear removed, I just think a better power could be there instead. If all they did was add -range to the taunt, I'd probably still be completely happy.

Was there something wrong with taunt?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, yes. The AOE is probably more useful at 50 once I'm fighting larger groups. There's much more to the game than the endgame, though, and having/keeping tools that are useful for people as they're climbing the ladder is important.

8 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Was there something wrong with taunt?

Well, you have limited power choices and given unrelenting needs 2 prior powers and offers a taunt alternative, It'd be nice to take the presence taunt over the normal taunt, at the cost of targets hit and it not feel bad to do. It's currently worse two fold by no -range of any kind and less targets  (on tanks)

Even if the -range was 75% and not the full 100% to be in line with being less than normal taunt, like the revive in medicine vs the revive in support powers, I'd still be happy.

6 minutes ago, megaericzero said:

Well, yes. The AOE is probably more useful at 50 once I'm fighting larger groups. There's much more to the game than the endgame, though, and having/keeping tools that are useful for people as they're climbing the ladder is important.

that's fair enough

Edited by Super Atom

32 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

To mirror @megaericzero, I have a level 50 Energy/Energy Blaster that has Pacify and Intimidate. I use Intimidate to lock down specific targets so I can deal with others, like the Tsoo Sorcerers while I clear out their damage dealers. Sometimes, though only rarely, I can even frighten a boss into silence to buy myself more breathing room. (I also have Pacify, but I don't use it as often. Mostly to unlock Unrelenting.)

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

Even if the -range was 75% and not the full 100% to be in line with being less than normal taunt

At -75%, that still puts it equal to the Scrapper's taunt ability of Confront.

Just now, Rudra said:

At -75%, that still puts it equal to the Scrapper's taunt ability of Confront.

So -50% on scrapper -75% on tank for the presence taunt, to keep in line with being weaker but still a proper taunt alternative

15 minutes ago, Super Atom said:

i dunno why the ST would be better than the aoe at 50

I can't speak for others, but I don't have room for the AoE, and the ST recharges twice as fast. so it makes it much more manageable to lock down priority targets.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm playing an off-tank Brute and I use the AoE fear *constantly* to paralyze groups as I'm fighting them.  It's extra easy damage mitigation, and if I want it lets me focus on a boss with no interference.

Provoke IS annoying because it can miss... a simple change to prevent it from missing PvE targets would be most welcome, even with no other changes.  Provoke isn't nearly as bad as Pacify, though, which simply DOES NOT WORK with Tanks and Brutes since Gauntlet and Fury immediately aggro the pacified target.  Pacify should reduce aggro generation of the user to 0% (for about a second) before it applies its placate effect so that it doesn't immediately break on those two archetypes.  If it were to function in this manner, it would be equivalent to a Dominator putting a priority target to sleep: the player can carefully focus on other targets confident the one they've pacified is out of combat for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, megaericzero said:

You took ST Fear on the set with Terrorize: the literal best AoE fear in the game?  I mean I guess Fearsome Stare is close but it's more of a tohit debuff power primarily.  The ONLY situation I can see a Mind Controller wanting a ST fear is to stack Mag on Bosses, but even that's pretty low value since the effect doesn't even give you Containment.  As for every Minion and Lieutenant in the fight: Terrorize should keep them all perma-Fear'd.

Choose your weapon:  Okay, I choose words.

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."

10 minutes ago, ShinMagmus said:

You took ST Fear on the set with Terrorize: the literal best AoE fear in the game?  I mean I guess Fearsome Stare is close but it's more of a tohit debuff power primarily.  The ONLY situation I can see a Mind Controller wanting a ST fear is to stack Mag on Bosses, but even that's pretty low value since the effect doesn't even give you Containment.  As for every Minion and Lieutenant in the fight: Terrorize should keep them all perma-Fear'd.

The character is currently in its mid-20s. I don't have enough recharge to sustain AOE CC yet nor enough damage to just burst down foes. In case there's any confusion, I do have Terrify.

I've also skipped Confuse and Telekinesis for personal reasons. This build is... it's a choice, to be sure. Essentially Mind/Pool and skipped what are arguably two of the most potent, set-defining powers in Mind and playing it like some sort of really bad Blapper. I am aware how ludicrous it is. 😛