Deciding a secondary!

Earthshine

So I'm out for spring break and have nothing to do. Gonna roll a new toon after being gone for a bit.

I have decided to try out Assault Rifle with the changes...

my secondary is where I have been struggling.

I have narrowed the search to the following:

Energy: synergizes well with AR but feels boring

Elec: similar to Energy but a little less boring while also being less synergetic

Plant: seems extremely interesting but the lack of discussion on it makes me feel like it is probably mediocre but change my mind if it is actually good!

Which one would you choose? Why?

I know this isn't part of your options but Tactical Arrow would synergies very well and is a pretty good secondary for blasters. If your only sticking to the three options I prob would go Energy. 

How can Energy be boring?

It has the single best power in COH, Blaster Energize 

Let's add a click heal and regen buff to the biggest End Reduction self buff available, and make it possible to get a ridiculous up time.

Cause that's fair. 

• Haha 1

Plant manipulation is actually pretty damn strong. You have a super strong sustain with an absorb shield, and you can pump out more hard control than a controller while blasting them with bullets. You also debuff damage, tohit, and Regen, and get a couple melee attacks.

It used to be part of the FotM ice/plant PvP blasters back in 2019, but I'm surprised I don't see more of them because you can AoE hold your mobs in place and drop a nuke on them or a full assault in your case.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Earthshine said:

I choose Blaster secondaries for reasons, roughly in order:

1. Character concept
  2. How I want to play the character
  3. How I want to build the character

(1) Concept over all.

(2) Many blaster secondaries offer excellent melee options, so I pick those if I want to BLAP. Only a few do not, such as Tactical Arrow.

(3) Sometimes, when I feel like the Primary and Pools will do a good job getting me what I want from (1) and (2), I'll pick a secondary based on what I can slot/toggle/click to cover one or more (perceived) "holes" in the build.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Earthshine said:

So I'm out for spring break and have nothing to do. Gonna roll a new toon after being gone for a bit.

I have decided to try out Assault Rifle with the changes...

my secondary is where I have been struggling.

I have narrowed the search to the following:

Energy: synergizes well with AR but feels boring

Elec: similar to Energy but a little less boring while also being less synergetic

Plant: seems extremely interesting but the lack of discussion on it makes me feel like it is probably mediocre but change my mind if it is actually good!

AR is the "master of cones" blast set.  So you most likely will want to take something that will synergize with that and let you stay more at range to use those cones more effectively.  /Elec and /Plant are more Blapper'ish than suited to range playstyle.  

/Energy would be the best pick out of your three and synergizes really well with AR.  It's a classic combo that doesn't go wrong and you have heavy hitting melee attacks for those time you get bum-rushed by mobs (and you will).  The boosts are great too - boost range is really great for cones and allows to potentially get the max # of targets for those times the mobs are spread out.  And a boosted range sipe - it's insane!  🙂    

Others to consider that synergize well with AR:

• /Tactical Arrow (as mentioned above) - has lots of great control and debuff
  • /Devices - another classic secondary for AR that gives you a lot of utility and extra damage - with enough recharge you can have 2 gun drones perma and they have a taunt effect to distract those pesky mobs coming into melee range of you.

Go Rambo... Go Tactical Arrow. TA is range agnostic, is a strong set, and with redraw no longer a concern, looks cool as hell with AR.

Plant is also an excellent secondary that doesn't care about range/cones. Pretend it's jungle warfare powers.

Edited by Force Redux

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds