Is Symphony/Sonic that rare?

I've been leveling several Doms and my highest ATM is Doctor Discordia, my Symphony/Sonic at 42.  I've never seen any other of this combo and I'm curious why....  I'm having a straight up blast with it.  It's not overpowering at all, I've been defeated quite a few times but that just means I need to be more skillful but I don't find any real glaring weakness with the combo.  The controls are adequate, and the damage output is respectable thanks to the -Res.  Even the pet is decent, more an added layer of control rather than a straight damage pet like Imps or the Flytrap.  Just curious on why this combo isn't seen more... is it the audio?  

12 minutes ago, Benchpresser said:

I've been leveling several Doms and my highest ATM is Doctor Discordia, my Symphony/Sonic at 42.  I've never seen any other of this combo and I'm curious why....  I'm having a straight up blast with it.  It's not overpowering at all, I've been defeated quite a few times but that just means I need to be more skillful but I don't find any real glaring weakness with the combo.  The controls are adequate, and the damage output is respectable thanks to the -Res.  Even the pet is decent, more an added layer of control rather than a straight damage pet like Imps or the Flytrap.  Just curious on why this combo isn't seen more... is it the audio?  

When they introduced these sets there were a lot of these running about. If you haven't seen any it maybe because players just moved onto other alts. I like both powersets on domi's but i haven't tried them together yet.

I have one in the high 30s, so...

The pet is actually terrible. It's AI relies on you spamming attacks, it misses too much, it's cones don't line up. You can hold a Tsoo sorcerer in place with the ST hold for 3 minutes and the pet will do nothing. I respec'd out. I would classify this as one of the very worst T9 primary powers available. 

The conic nature of the primary doesn't mesh well with the need to be at melee for several of the sonic powers. The ST blasts and the cone are great, but the PBAOE and melee just don't fit. I like symph a lot, I like sonic a lot. I will play this toon to 50 and keep it because I like the concept, but it would be easy to build a better dominator and I think controllers actually benefit more from the primary.  

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

I cannot comment on a whole about this but for myself I have a couple other Dom in the pipeline that I was working/reworking on which take up time when I am playing the game. Also the powerset did not really intrigue me per say.

From what I recall seeing on the forums people were just mid about the sets individually, as it was not bad but failed to crack an interest over other sets. As a lot of people who a new to Doms usually go for something a bit more friendly to plan to get a grasp under, then branch out from there.

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

Symphony Control is a power set that is better on Controllers than Dominators, like Mind Control and Arsenal Control are better on Dominators than Controllers.  Its cones want you at range, which clashes with the Dominator assault power sets wanting you in melee range, (until Arsenal Assault - so a Symphony/Arsenal Dominator may work).  In addition, the Reverberant pet echoes your primary powers/attacks, not your secondary ones... which means that you need to spam your primary powers more often than your secondary ones for the pet to work.  That works well on a Controller, not so much on a Dominator.

Symphony Control is fantastic on Controllers at least, IMO.

• 2 weeks later

I’ve got quite a few Doms and Symph/Sonic is my favourite.

Symphony is very blastery with a number of cones. Sonic has a knockdown cone ( with the KB to KD ) giving additional control and damage, you also get 3 ranged ST attacks.

I play mine at range and find it works really well, building Dom in no time.

Regarding the pet, I like it; it’s sturdy and applies extra control and damage.

For the most part I find pets on Doms pretty irrelevant but this one is quite useful.

• Like 1

@Psiphon hits the nail on the head.

this dom is probably my favorite dom

decent holds

decent range

decent damage

all other doms i feel like i need to run in and out of melee range to maximize its potential 

but symph sonic gives me that blastery feel with excellent crowd controls

i will say the pet isn't so great but i just may not know how to use it properly yes

finally the confuse does damage which means adjusting your playstyle if you tend to play conservatively 

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?