Announcing a Base Showcase! ...What's a Base Showcase?

First Showcase will be held April 14-28. See below for more!

A Base Showcase is a chance for people to show off their bases in a non-competitive environment. We (the CRs) will be choosing themes for a total of 5 showcases. Themes will be: Tech/Sci-Fi, Arcane/Fantasy, Life-like, Nature/Natural, and Other. People will be encouraged to visit the bases listed during the two week long Base Appreciation period, and to send comments to the builder, and even put a comment in the base directory. We will have the codes listed in a base, along with a base hopping macro for those that don’t have one yet, for those who’d like to base hop without referencing sources outside of the game. This is a great chance to see what's out there, and find bases you might want to visit more, later.

All bases that wish to participate need to be open for the duration of the 2 weeks of Base Appreciation, and should be listed on the directory, even if their status is usually more restricted than “open”. Since this is non-competitive, any base, even award winners and CR created bases, may exhibit in the showcase. CRs and participating judges (winners from last year) will tour the participating bases, and will offer critique or positives if desired.

Although there is no physical reward for participation, hearing positives from visitors (and comments are typically positive) can be very rewarding. Also, the categories for the showcases will be the same categories we will have for the next big base contest. So, builders can see what others in their categories have done, learn from the comments if they want critique, and see what they can improve if they decide they want to enter the contest that will be early next year; but even if they don’t enter the contest, they still get to show their base and get some positives. (Bases that have already won awards, and CR bases, may not enter contest.)

What’s the goal here if there are no prizes? We’d like to make a special effort to get more bases seen and appreciated! We have all done a lot of hard work, and we want people to appreciate it. As a community, we’d like everyone to join in; touring is something everyone can do, and is appreciated by all who are opening up their bases.

The theme of this first Base Showcase is: Tech/Sci Fi. Showcase Base Appreciation dates will be April 14-28. Let’s see your bases! You may enter any base or bases that fit the category, including WIPs (works in progress). This is not a contest.

Please enter your base name, code, and server/shard in this topic to enter. Bases should be open and available for touring/visitation during the weeks of April 14th-28th. It would be good to have a sign up at the entry, or a character with an afk message, telling people where they can send comments. And please be sure to tour other bases, and comment to the builder!

Edited by Dacy
  • Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 1

Terran Stellar Navy

TSN-159

Everlasting

*Disclaimer very modest Work-In-Progress! Still need to flesh out offices, barracks and supply and a last bit of medical, probably a therapist office.

Edited by Matsiyan
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Captain Matsiyan, Office of Naval Intelligence, Terran Stellar Navy

Community Base Directory   •  Base Building Guide  •  City of Base Building Discord Add to Bases Guestbook

21 hours ago, warnold7 said:

To Boldly Go

TNG-25980

Excelsior

*Disclaimer - Base is still under construction but has a ton of content created. Already over 16k items*

Just wanted to say, after visiting this base, I've started watching all of the Star Trek series again. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Rogue Isles Villains

MAYHEM-19149

Excelsior

/macro_image "DarkArmor_FearfulAura" "Teleport: Rogue Isles Villains" "enterbasefrompasscode MAYHEM-19149"

This whole base is a work in progress.  I started it April 4 when Etched help me "open the sky" on an old SG I made but never had a base for.  The Name!!!

Your comments, suggestions, and patience are much appreciated.

The build goal is to create a place that looks like a hangout for....Rogue isles Villains.  I chose to try to make it look like a hidden grotto, probably set in the hollow of a skellig (sea rock/mount) somewhere in the waters of the Rogue Isles.

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2024 at 1:21 PM, Dacy said:

All bases that wish to participate  should be listed on the directory,

It would be good to have a sign up at the entry, or a character with an afk message, telling people where they can send comments.

i have little to no idea what these two instructions mean

Posted (edited)

I should have included a link, my bad. It's pinned in the topics here, in the Builder's Discord, in the HC Discord in the base topic, also.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14DqavAx6ov60d92rhvwy2sNEW_909MCHp421GM4q-Yk/edit#gid=0

Just follow the directions. If you do not yet have a base passcode, then get out the character who's got editing permission for the base you want to get the code for, and type in game: /sgpasscode [word or code I want]. For instance, I'm making touring hubs for each of the shards so people can go base to base and have the codes right there. When I made the code for Excelsior's base, I typed: /sgpasscode TOUR .  In the global tab, the system sent back: Your supergroup passcode is now TOUR-30788. If I want to change that, I'll re-enter the word I want, but the number it sends back is always the same.

For a sign: Use the alphabet letters on the surface of something. (It is usually easiest to use f5 to change the attachment to surface, and use an editing surface to keep them on the same level) I like to use the back of shower floors as my sign. A small sign might be on a Modern Picture Frame (wall details tab), but note you will need to change the color of the (usually white) letters if the background is white. You only have to change the color the first time, after that, they are all set to the same color until you either get out of the editor, or change it.

TOURsign.thumb.PNG.5ac5f9da06e58b729b5830140a963b5f.PNG

So when you finish, you'll have a sign. Here is an example. The sign should be set up somewhere where people see it near the entry. Or you could choose to have a character with an afk message (against a dark background is best). That would look like this:

afk.PNG.04109923a45f82bc5f6f8b76f120b910.PNG

What you choose to say here is very limited, so best to put something like what I have. To do that, type /afk my message here . The /afk part won't show up.

These are only if you want to hear comments back from people, it's not a requirement.

However, definitely we want the base listed in the directory, so that people not using the hubs can find it.

NOTE HERE: I have changed the original post to reflect that  you can enter more than one base if you would like. And naturally, feel free to enter bases in whatever category best suits them.

Edited by Dacy
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 10:56 AM, warnold7 said:

To Boldly Go

TNG-25980

Excelsior

*Disclaimer - Base is still under construction but has a ton of content created. Already over 16k items*

This is an incredible base, especially if you are a TNG fan. I've given the builder my love in game, but wanted to drop an echo of support here as well. Extremely interested to see how she looks when completed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dacy said:

So when you finish, you'll have a sign. Here is an example. The sign should be set up somewhere where people see it near the entry. Or you could choose to have a character with an afk message (against a dark background is best). That would look like this:

afk.PNG.04109923a45f82bc5f6f8b76f120b910.PNG

What you choose to say here is very limited, so best to put something like what I have. To do that, type /afk my message here . The /afk part won't show up.

is this a npc from the base builder i can do this with?

47 minutes ago, Snarky said:

is this a npc from the base builder i can do this with?

No, you can't do much with the NPCs. This would be a character of yours that you can leave in the base; maybe a separate account, if you have another account. Otherwise, I would make a sign.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lemming said:

With the smaller fonts now available, signage should be easier.  (He says without checking yet...)

signage in base entry is easy.  but i have deleted huge things in the big room trying to get one little letter placed correctly.   aaaaaaarrrrggghhhhh

6 minutes ago, Snarky said:

signage in base entry is easy.  but i have deleted huge things in the big room trying to get one little letter placed correctly.   aaaaaaarrrrggghhhhh

I find my mouse control sucks for delicate placement.   I think most of my lettering in my base resembles a ransom note.  (Maybe I should lean into that...)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lemming said:

I find my mouse control sucks for delicate placement.   I think most of my lettering in my base resembles a ransom note.  (Maybe I should lean into that...)

i use the 1/4 alignment scale for the small lettering

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Perdurabo said:

This is an incredible base, especially if you are a TNG fan. I've given the builder my love in game, but wanted to drop an echo of support here as well. Extremely interested to see how she looks when completed!

Wholeheartedly agreed!  Touring this thing hit me with a wave of nostalgia so powerful, that I immediately wanted to try to make a TNG era-themed costume in the character creator.  If you are of a particular breed of fandom that knows what LCARS, Galaxy Class, or 10-Forward means, I would be astonished if you don't feel the same way.

The only thing I want to know now, is "How do I join your crew?"  😎

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ScarredSilencer said:

Fortune City, Nevada, 2082

Code: CYBERPUNK-14407

Shard: Everlasting 

Damn.  Get your Cyberpunk 2077 RP right here.  I expected to see Rick Deckard step out of the rain at any second.  Awesome work! 😎

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm almost embarrassed to show mine, after seeing some of these.  It's a prisoner transport ship for the Interstellar PeaceKeeper's Corps.  You arrive in the cargo bay.  There's a lift that takes you up to the main deck that has a prisoner holding room, engine room, sick bay, crew mess, boarding hatch to the outside (make sure you have hover or fly or you tumble through space!) and command deck with comm center and transporter.  It's a small vessel, intended to be something a crew of half a dozen or so PeaceKeepers might use to chase criminals all over the galaxy.

Code: CORPS-8904
Shard: Reunion

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Snarky said:

Rogue Isles Villains

MAYHEM-19149

Excelsior

/macro_image "DarkArmor_FearfulAura" "Teleport: Rogue Isles Villains" "enterbasefrompasscode MAYHEM-19149"

This whole base is a work in progress.  I started it April 4 when Etched help me "open the sky" on an old SG I made but never had a base for.  The Name!!!

Your comments, suggestions, and patience are much appreciated.

The build goal is to create a place that looks like a hangout for....Rogue isles Villains.  I chose to try to make it look like a hidden grotto, probably set in the hollow of a skellig (sea rock/mount) somewhere in the waters of the Rogue Isles.

The towering black platforms give me a strong Arachnos vibe.  The various Arachnos NPC's you have stationed there don't hurt, either.  😎🕷️

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Triumphant said:

Code: CORPS-8904
Shard: Reunion

Yay! Reunion! The smaller shards get at least one to represent! 🙂

One of the things about a showcase is, you can see what others have done, and I LOVE that you are visiting and commenting!! You can learn from what you see, and you can make an informed decision as to whether or not you'd like to try to enter the contest next year (and you have time, now, to work on improving if you care to).  Now is the time to ask questions and soak it all in. 🙂

I will describe my method of making a sign, hopefully this translates: First of all, as with any fine detail, get close. The editor places things according to where the mouse is in relation to your camera angle, and the type of surface your item is oriented to. Watch your item window to make sure you're not grabbing other things across the base by mistake, if that happens to you frequently. Now to place letters: (here, I'm using tiny letters and the back of a shower floor)

Hit F1 and disable  grid.

Get out a shower floor and hold control and alt at the same time, and rotate it until it's standing upright on its side. If the side without the drain is not facing the direction you want it to, hold shift and alt and rotate it around until it's facing the correct direction.

Get out a surface tile, no collision, 32x32. The shower floor is seen as a floor by the editor, so the surface tile, which wants to attach to a floor, will place and stay level if you position it using your mouse pointer on the surface of the shower floor. Click to place.
Now go to whichever set of tiny letters you want to use, PCity or Motiva.  Motiva has a lower case as well as an upper case, and if you use lower case mostly, you can fit more on your sign. Select a letter. Hit F5 twice. This will set the letter attachment to "surface". Place the letter so it's facing up on the surface tile. Now, for this first letter, you can set the color you want, and all the following letters will be that same color, so choose the color. I choose black, using the small black/grey/white three square color choice, not the gradient scale (that's the darkest black). Now, HOLD CONTROL and slide the letter over to the floor tile (I would recommend placing the letter close to the floor tile) until the letter pops upright on the floor tile. Release the mouse hold before you release control.  This allows you to align the letter precisely to the surface level of the surface tile, without having to adjust the height more. Repeat until all the letters  are on the shower floor that you want on that line.

IMPORTANT: if the letters do not attach in the upright position, if they want to stand up upside down or sideways, that is because the surface is upside down or sideways; items on surface attachment will attach using the orientation of the surface they are attaching to. So, if the letters want to attach sideways or upside down, instead of having to click each letter to reorient it, put that first letter back on the surface tile (if it's crooked on the surface tile, that does not matter, only final placement matters) and select the shower floor again (check to be sure you have it selected by looking to the item window, it should appear there if that's what you have selected). Right click to make the surface upright; if the letters were upside down, you'll need to right click twice. Click rotation is always 90 degrees and always counter-clockwise, so if you're using the square shower floor and your letters were sideways, I can't tell you how many clicks will make it be upright, you'll have to experiment if knowing the direction it rotates doesn't help you figure out how many clicks to make). I know that all sounds very complicated, but it's a long explanation for a pretty short process once you understand how to do it. Call for help (pref on my Discord so I can answer faster) if you have problems with this.

Now, if the letters aren't arranged and spaced the way you want them, again HOLD CONTROL and make sure you are clicking ON the letter itself, and move the letter to where you want it. The Control key will keep it on that same height line, and you can move the letter by mousing over the shower floor anywhere. If you grab another item instead of the letter (watch the item box or window) quickly hit escape, and the editor will let go of what you accidentally grabbed. If you accidentally clicked and the editor completed the action you didn't mean to complete, hit control/z to undo it. Again, especially for this part, being close is a good idea.

I hope this helps. Again, call for help if you're confused. I can quickly demonstrate.

• Thanks 1

Oh, and, officially enter ONES-5030, Excelsior.  This is not a possible entry into any contest, but it's sitting unused for the most part, and I'd like for it to at least get seen. Flight is good if you want to cruise around the outside of the space ship (accessible through shuttle bay). Has some Trek flavor by request, a little BG and Expanse thrown in as well. Maybe a little Bab5 in the arboretum....