Knockback, Vectors, Caves.

I love knockback and seeing enemies go a-flying. This is why I'm concerned about the reason for characters getting knocked back into walls, especially cave walls.

Is it because there's a rounding error in wall calculations? That makes sense if the game is mapping it all by vectors. Could it be feasible to add more vectors now that it's 2024, would that help? Could it be feasible to redo the vector calculations so avoid,evade or otherwise compensate for the rounding error, if that's the case?

Additionally, I wanted to ask whether (if one day the problem with sticky-walls was one day fixed), knockback could be perhaps applied ONLY to enemies who die from the damage they take from the attack that does the knockback? This might be a good way to replace Sudden Acceleration: KB to KD, because the rest of that enhancement set seems to add knockback distance - doesn't this one negate the KB distance provided by the rest of the set?

• Like 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

I suspect it is both more simple and more complicated.  Objects in CoH are odd things.  Especially irregular objects like “cave wall”. They are probably “parts” linked together. At the juncture and seams there is a small perfect possibility to slip through. Then be “behind” the thing and not easily targetable.  I have solved this at least once by “flying” on the ground with an attack queued up and hitting the mob.  This gives a different angle than standing on the ground.  That works 1% time.  Most AoE can get them, because it affects without regard to “cover” in its area. 

• Like 2

KB that would only affect dead characters would get rid of any strategy that people use with it.  Though maybe if the KB->KD didn't work on those targets, might be cool.

The Sudden Acceleration adding KB until reducing it, I think the intent was that the math does: Increase KB until stuff goes flying past any KB resist, but if KD is flagged, reduce to just knockdown.   That way if the power would normally do 5 points of KB, the increase is 2x, so 10 points.  Target has 6 KB protection, so without the enhancements, no effect, but now there's 4 points of KB.  However, with the KD, the 4 points then gets dropped to KD.

I do think a lot of the geometry issues have been worked on here and there, but there's a great number of them.

6 hours ago, Herotu said:

Additionally, I wanted to ask whether (if one day the problem with sticky-walls was one day fixed), knockback could be perhaps applied ONLY to enemies who die from the damage they take from the attack that does the knockback?

Oh *hell* no.

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Greycat said:

Oh *hell* no.

Why not? If that were the case, then cave walls wouldn't get enemies stuck in them.

Edited by Herotu

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Well, some people enjoy knockback as a form of attack mitigation, not purely for it's visual effect.  Of course, Greycat may have other reasons besides this.  Regardless, some people will object because knockback is part of their play tactics/style.  Which, of course, is a totally legitimate reason to object to limiting the effect to triggering on mob deaths only.

Sometimes you just want to run an energy blaster and have glorious knockback.  No matter what the team or league thinks.  As i was told recently in a nemesis invasion by someone incan w/ KB as often as they could “it is part of the game”.  

so make those KB characters. Go big! Be wild! Be free!

image.thumb.jpeg.8861944010c93151e13a6bea8779cb5b.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

Sometimes you just want to run an energy blaster and have glorious knockback.  No matter what the team or league thinks.  As i was told recently in a nemesis invasion by someone incan w/ KB as often as they could “it is part of the game”.  

so make those KB characters. Go big! Be wild! Be free!

image.thumb.jpeg.8861944010c93151e13a6bea8779cb5b.jpeg

I had a go, but it's not as impressive as I wanted it to be... ... it seems more fun to use damage frankenslotting.
jNv5zvG.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2