The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Recommend me a Corrupter!

I've decided that my next project when i'm done with my current Sentinel will be a Corrupter, it will be the only AT left with just one at level 50.  Every time I try to play one it just feels off and I usually put it down before 30.  With that in mind maybe some of you guys can help me pick a new one that I hopefully won't back away from.

A few notes on what I do or want.

• I primarily play solo with no farming, I also avoid typical PI radio shouts.  This usually amounts to just running missions and storylines for progress.  I'll jump into TF shouts as I see them if i'm up for it but I play on Indom after midnight EST when the server is generally dead.
  • I probably won't tackle any serious endgame content.  Maybe iTrials but I doubt I'd want to join any Hard Mode TFs so i'm not concerned about a meta build/combo.
  • I'd prefer to avoid sets I've already played.  Across 200 characters that's a little difficult but i'm open to ideas.  The only sets i'd really prefer not to play are Psychic Blast and Dark Miasma; my only 50 Corrupter is Psi/Dark already.  I'd also rather avoid Kinetics; as much as I really want to like it the set just doesn't mesh with me at all and i've dropped every character i've tried with it.
  • I'll generally have some building ideas in the upper 20s.  I'm not particurally interested in going crazy but i'll usually have sets slotted up by level 27.  Money generally isn't an issue but if I can avoid Winter sets I probably will.

So, with that in mind, run a few combos past me and help me pick my next project.  Bonus points for theme ideas too, a good character theme can keep me going even when things feel like they're dragging.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Posted (edited)

Radiation Emission.  It's one of the top solo-friendly Corruptor secondaries, along with Dark Miasma (which you don't want), and Trick Arrow.  It'll allow you to solo just about everything with ease (including AVs and GMs if that interests you), and requires few actual power picks (five or six), letting you expand into power pools.

As for primaries... if you want to take down AVs or GMs, you'll want something with good single target.  Fire Blast, Ice Blast, Beam Rifle, Assault Rifle.  If you don't care about taking down AVs and GMs, then just about any primary power set will work.  Electrical Blast would have a decent mix of AoE and single target, (along with Fire Blast and Assault Rifle).

Edited by Lunar Ronin
  • Thumbs Up 3

Ice/Poison/Dark

You have Ice Storm/Blizzard benefit from scourge.

Poison only really requires 3-4 powers and doesn't really need significant investment of IOs, some Lysos/Enzymes do wonders.

Dark gives you a res shield that works well, Oppressive Gloom to stun minions/lts around you, and Spirit Drain to help increase your damage.

I'd take clarion radial, for mez protection and a power boost ability.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Lunar Ronin said:

Radiation Emission. 

Agreed.  Ice/Radiation sounds great for solo play.  I also like Ice/Force Field.  Not as powerful against hard targets, but extra defense, knockdown, and some mez protection., so, much safer.  A Fire Blast/Trick Arrow hover blaster sounds pretty nifty.  I've also been leveling a Storm Blaster.  Storm is great for extra knockdown, and has some Dots, so should do well on a Corruptor.  Maybe Storm/Storm or Storm/Time?  Lots of options.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've played a lot of corruptors and one of the strongest and most versatile is Fire/Time/Soul. You can soft cap your defenses, debuff your foes and rain down destruction. Works well solo or teamed.

I'm currently doing Storm/Storm, which is a very different play style but also a lot of fun. More of a symphony of chaos.

• Thumbs Up 5

Good suggestions, it looks like Fire/Rad might be the winner.  I've yet to seriously run Radiation and haven't run Fire in a few years so it sounds like a winner.  Still working on other projects (a Dark/Fire Brute who's in the home stretch, and an Elec/Rad Sentinel approaching 40) but I've got the Fire/Rad Corrupter lined up now.

So that leads to another question?  What powers in Fire or Rad are skippable?  I'm already skipping Flares, Mutation and Fallout but is anything else worth skipping, especially if I focus solo?  I know people hate Fire Breath but I kind of like it.  How useful is having Enervating Field and Radiation Infection; I know they're potent but I tend to save my anchor powers for EBs and other large foes and they tend to sit unused.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ZorkNemesis said:

So that leads to another question?  What powers in Fire or Rad are skippable?  I'm already skipping Flares, Mutation and Fallout but is anything else worth skipping, especially if I focus solo?  I know people hate Fire Breath but I kind of like it.  How useful is having Enervating Field and Radiation Infection; I know they're potent but I tend to save my anchor powers for EBs and other large foes and they tend to sit unused.

It is generally advised to take everything in Fire Blast except for Flares, Fire Breath, and Rain of Fire. Fire Blast is better than Flares, and Rain of Fire can feel superfluous when Fire's biggest strength is instant explosiveness. I don't think Fire Breath is terrible, it's just that Fire Ball is so good, you really don't need another AoE.

As for /Rad, if you plan on only soloing, Mutation and Fallout are easy skips. EM Pulse is also not great, since it END crashes you (think Legacy Nuke END crash). I think the AoE Heal is pretty whatever, too, but it will be your only access to sustain before power pools are considered.

Definitely take the anchors! Even if you feel trash die too quickly to use them, they are extremely useful as herding tools. As long as they are toggled, they will generate threat towards you, so tricky play becomes pulling huge mobs that are already debuffed around a corner so you can blow them up!

Choking Cloud is what seals the entire package. It will already be tough for mobs to hit you through debuffs, then you add a chance to get held on top of that. It will be murder on your END, but once you get that straightened out, it'll be strong. Throw a Lockdown proc in for a chance to hold bosses!

Galaxy brain tactics enclosed below!

Spoiler

Dualbox a weak toon to follow you around and die so you can use the body for Fallout! TP Target means your dummy only has to die once per map!

Edited by Spaghetti Betty
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

Rain of Fire can be quite potent if you pair it with an AoE slow such as Lingering Radiation. RoF makes foes try to run away, but with enough slow they're essentially running in place (and not shooting at you). You can then follow up with Fire Ball and Fire Breath.

I frankenslot Choking Cloud/Entangling Aura with 3 end/hold IOs (it doesn't require accuracy or recharge). I've tried slotting the Lockdown proc but wasn't impressed with the results. Consider picking up a ST hold from one of the epic pools to hold bosses.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know I'm a bit late, but I'd like to throw in a suggestion: Ice/Time. Farsight makes it pretty tough, you get decent heals, and the +rech lets you keep Blizzard and Ice Storm going. You get THREE single-target holds (although one of them has a longer animation time, so most people don't take it) AND a hold/slow patch, which also stacks with the slows from Ice. It's got a couple of decent enemy debuffs as well, including some -regen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs so far.
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

• 2 weeks later
Posted (edited)

I absolutely love my Psi/Nature Corruptor, but you said no Psi, so... how about Ice/Nature?

• Rains are good with Scourge, and Ice Blast has TWO of them
  • Hold-stacking with Entangling Aura and Freeze Ray
  • Great survivability with Regrowth, Wild Growth, and Wild Bastion

Your main weakness will be your lack of mez protection, so bring break-frees or Clarion.

Alternatively, if you like a clickier playstyle: Elec/Elec:

• Sap your enemies so they can't attack back as much
  • Faraday Cage gives you self-mez-protection
  • Bounce your circuit powers back to yourself with the Elec Affinity pet
  • Has absorb shields AND heals AND resistance, like Nature
  • IIRC, Elec Blast keeps your Circuits charged for maximum bounces, but I'm not sure that matters solo...

Electric Affinity is the powerset I would love to see on my team, but never want to play because it's too clicky for me.

Edited by RadiantPhoenix
added more info
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later

I'm a corr dabbler. My highest are psy/time and dark/storm. I really like dark as a primary as you get your sniper power at level 2(!) and can fill it up with enhances by level 5-7 - there is something to be said about that! I'm also looking for my next serious long-range mostly-solo hero. I've had my fill of MMs, doms and melee ATs for now. The only blaster I've ever been able to get very far is a dark/ninja which with only a couple ninja toggles is incredibly tanky I find. So, that leaves me to choose between a Defender or Corruptor (not a fan of sentinels either, eh). If that doesn't work out, I may just go back to my high 20s squids (I have both parked), or my fortunata. And I think defenders are just too party focused for my liking.

For corruptors, I may try a rad/rad, as I have a stalker with those powers which was reasonably fun, not sure how it translates to a corr. Or I may go back to the 2 above and try to get 1 of those into the mid 30s, to see how they perform solo once I have all the powers. Water/FF looks like a decent combo to solo (again, if it translates ok from a defender).

Game over man, game over!

8 hours ago, Nostromo21 said:

My highest are psy/time and dark/storm. 

Or I may go back to the 2 above and try to get 1 of those into the mid 30s, to see how they perform solo once I have all the powers.

The issue with Psy blast solo is that a lot of stuff heavily resists psi damage, especially as you get into higher levels. Malta Titans have 60% resistance; Nemesis Warhulks and Jaegers, Praetorian robots and Sky Raider Jump Bots have 50% resistance.  (Council robots only have 30% resistance.) Carnies and Vanguard have 20% psi defense. You have to pick and choose your contacts carefully if you don't want to feel like you're banging your head against a wall. On the flip side, you can really go to town on Freakshow, Crey and CoT.

• Thumbs Up 1