Shield Defense Idle Stance Change?

Posted (edited)

I don't know how often people talk about this, though I'm sure people have before already, but something that's always bothered me is the Shield Defense idle stance. 

When you have your shield out (so, all the time) you're always in a combat stance and never "resting" in an idle stance, which is actually a big reason why I never play shield characters--although I've tried and am trying again because I want to like it more than my dislike for the idle stance, lol.

Could the combat stance be replaced with one of the other idle animations, such as the neutral stance?  I'll have to double check the name but I think it's called neutral stance, and with it you just have your hands to your side and you look side to side occasionally.  However, I feel like this would've been an obvious choice if they could do that already, so why is it that the combat stance was chosen as the idle stance?  I feel like there's an obstacle getting in the way for some reason, in regard to coding/implementing in a difference stance... maybe?

Also no, I'm not looking for the reply "Just manually use the emotes," as it doesn't answer my questions nor does it solve the issue that I'm talking about.

Edited by Mallador
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mallador said:

However, I feel like this would've been an obvious choice if they could do that already, so why is it that the combat stance was chosen as the idle stance?

If I had to guess, the game's spaghetti probably ties going to idle with sheathing all weaponry and, for some reason, it was more feasible to tag all the shield powers as "never go idle" than it was to tag the shield costume part as "stay visible even when idle if any of your toggles are still active." That's purely speculation, though, so don't quote me.

My old shield tanker seems to be stuck in combat stance as long as he has a shield power toggled on. I can't do any emotes unless all my toggles are off.

Is anyone else having this problem, or just me?

3 minutes ago, strangething said:

My old shield tanker seems to be stuck in combat stance as long as he has a shield power toggled on. I can't do any emotes unless all my toggles are off.

Is anyone else having this problem, or just me?

It's always been this way, ever since the shield powerset first went live back in 2008.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

3 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

It's always been this way, ever since the shield powerset first went live back in 2008.

Really? I could have sworn it used to be different. I remember being able to emote without fiddling with my toggles.

6 minutes ago, strangething said:
3 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Really? I could have sworn it used to be different. I remember being able to emote without fiddling with my toggles.

Not with Shield Defense.

• Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, strangething said:

5 hours ago, Rudra said:

Not with Shield Defense.

Challenge accepted.

image.png

Heroic Stance

image.png

Military Salute

image.png

Dance emote - Raise the Roof

image.png

Facepalm... because you must be so embarrassed.

No fiddling, but I just can't maintain a pose for too long with the status resist power firing on auto every so often.

58 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Challenge accepted.

image.png

Heroic Stance

image.png

Military Salute

image.png

Dance emote - Raise the Roof

image.png

Facepalm... because you must be so embarrassed.

No fiddling, but I just can't maintain a pose for too long with the status resist power firing on auto every so often.

Odd. I tried /e stancehero2 and it only sometimes worked. I tried /e ddcoffee and it failed. I tried /e dance2 and it failed. I tried /e militarysalute and it failed.

14 hours ago, Rudra said:

Not with Shield Defense.

This isn't true.  You can use emotes with Shield Defense.  I don't know that all of them will work, flypose emotes come to mind as an example, but I know you can use others for sure. 

55 minutes ago, Excraft said:

This isn't true.  You can use emotes with Shield Defense.  I don't know that all of them will work, flypose emotes come to mind as an example, but I know you can use others for sure. 

Shortly after Shield Defense went live on the retail servers my friends and I all created Broadsword/Shield Scrappers. We tried but were never able to get most emotes to work for more than a second or two if they worked at all.

If even some of the emotes work now then that's an improvement from how it was in 2008/2009.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, Excraft said:

Well. You and @Player2 have convinced me. Obviously I cannot use emotes to save my life and hopefully some day someone will teach me how because as I posted in my previous comment, I only got /e stancehero2 to work, and even then only occasionally. So since emotes work with Shield Defense, then the OP can be tossed in the trash bin.

26 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Shortly after Shield Defense went live on the retail servers my friends and I all created Broadsword/Shield Scrappers. We tried but were never able to get most emotes to work for more than a second or two if they worked at all.

If even some of the emotes work now then that's an improvement from how it was in 2008/2009.

The only way I got any emotes (other than stancehero2) to work was by logging in on the (newly made character) and not moving. After I moved around for a little bit, the emotes I tried (other than stancehero2 which worked fitfully) stopped working at all. Which was the same comment made back on Live. That you can emote until you play the game with Shield Defense.

IIRC, the various emotes can be made to work while holding shields... it is just that there is a specific emote that needs to be done immediately before. I can't recall what it is!

Take your power off of auto so it gets rid of the shield, for one. No reason for it to be out when you're nowhere near combat (ok, I suppose it could be a permanent part of you, but it doesn't have to be that way by default.)

Besides, shield's the only powerset I know of that can turn walk into baywatch-run.

That said, wouldn't argue with other stances for it. *shrugs*

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.