PSA: We Practice What We Preach Around Here!

Generator

I mean if you're trying to do like a MOITF or something, then you probably don't wanna PUG it, but otherwise, just post you're forming a TF and it WILL fill.

Doing it on a PUG makes it more fun!

I've always felt that if its your team, its your rules.  if you want gear checks and DPS requirements etc then so be it.  I may not like it but it's not my team.  The counter to a team like that is for me to make my own team.

So instead of suggesting to people how to run their teams, make yours and then no one can suggest to you how to run your team as well.

Another counter is to openly dismiss a team leader that tries to interview me before an invite.

Let me rephrase it, then:

I occasionally have panic attacks at the mere thought of using the phone.  My phone ringing elicits an immediate spike of fear.

Yup, totally get it. I lost a job because I wouldn't answer my phone (in my defense, being on call was not part of the job description, but kind of emerged later via responsibility creep).

I've done the gone-hungry-rather-than-order-food thing too. It was a godsend when pizza places started doing online orders. Not so great for my cholesterol at the time...

Even today, many years of coping mechanisms later, I still let maintenance problems fester because the service company won't communicate via email. Luckily, my wife understands (she's the same way) and we prompt each other to get past it (which probably sounds like we nag each other, and that's not inaccurate, but it goes both ways and we limit it to things that really need attention). But it's never ending.

Edit: I'm not trying to get into an anxiety pissing contest (despite how amusing that image is). I'm fully aware there are people who have it way worse than me. Some in my own family. I just meant what I said literally -- it might be more common than is thought, and you're not alone.

I haven't had any negative experiences with the community yet but I can see why it'd be intimidating for people. It's a really good idea to look for a team if you want one but it's also ok if people don't want to team with total strangers. Everyone's different. I normally play with my friends and while I don't mind teaming with strangers (and have done it sometimes) it can feel harder, in a way, because it's easier to explain to my friends if I'm having a bad day and sucking at the game or just not very talkative.

Just to present an alternative - just like some people in life are very extroverted and have no problems reaching out to people, there are other people who struggle with the same thing.  Maybe it's just an introverted personality, and anxiety disorder, or a lack of confidence.  But regardless of the reasons, it's usually not so helpful to say to those people (I'm among them), just be more extroverted like me and everything will work out. 

Just to put this out there:

I'm pretty well introverted and have absolutely no self confidence. If I can form a TF, almost anyone can. >.>

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

It was a godsend when pizza places started doing online orders. Not so great for my cholesterol at the time...

GODS yes, on both counts.  :D

However, I don't order pizza out anymore.  I've grown too fond of my OWN pizza (I buy sauce, raw dough, a shreded 5-cheese blend, and something for toppings; takes 20-25 minutes prep and cook time, plus an hour or so for the dough to "rest" on the counter, in a covered bowl, beforehand).

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I'm pretty well introverted and have absolutely no self confidence. If I can form a TF, almost anyone can. >.>

And on the rebound, let me point out to you that those of us opening up here?

We're not just introverted, or lacking in self confidence.  Like I said upthread, I get literal panic attacks just having to call someone I don't know, or answer the phone when someone I don't know is calling.  (Thank the gods for Caller ID.)

Intellectually, yes: I know that assembling a team, even a TF, a SF, or Trial, is mind-numbingly simple.  Even if you start at the "I am a team of one, I need 7 more" recruiting stage.  I also know that actually running a team for any of those is also mind-numbingly simple.

None of that matters.  My emotions still start yammering "FEAR! TERROR! FEAR!" at the very idea of doing those things.

It's a phobia reaction.  It's not rational, so it can't be quieted with logic.  The best it can be is muzzled, kicked hard a few times, then thrown down the basement steps.

Which I can do, to JOIN a team someone else is assembling.  Because I can put all my energy into keeping that basement door shut tight ... and not try to do that, AND assemble or lead a team.

With people I already know, it's easier - but even then, it's not simple and I'd still rather pass the baton off to someone else.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Just to present an alternative - just like some people in life are very extroverted and have no problems reaching out to people, there are other people who struggle with the same thing.  Maybe it's just an introverted personality, and anxiety disorder, or a lack of confidence.  But regardless of the reasons, it's usually not so helpful to say to those people (I'm among them), just be more extroverted like me and everything will work out. 

Zolgar...I never said it couldn't be done.  In fact, I said that anyone who says it's too hard or impossible is incorrect.  Nothing in the game prohibits teaming.  Just saying there is a big spectrum from "this is easy, I don't see why anyone can't do this" to "OMG...that was draining...I don't understand why people like doing this", and for a variety of reasons, among the ones I included, it can be difficult. 

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Funny, I had my first villain PUG on Indom last night too, but not the OP's team.  It also went really well and flying into those maps (especially Aeon City in Cap) brought back the memories, as redside used to be my home.

I've run PUGs before and know I can do it again, but I'm having to slowly come back to remembering everything about it; the biggest Thing I Still Forgot How To Do is adjust difficulty levels.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝