PSA: We Practice What We Preach Around Here!

Generator

Hey,

So last night, I logged into my current alt-crush, a Sentinel Rogue.  None of my friends were around and I wanted to run Newspaper missions.  So, channeling all the times we've told newbs to "Make the team you want to be on," I went to LFG channel and said, "Lvl 20 Newspaper mission team in Sharkhead, PST for invite!"

The /tells started coming in, and we were soon running a team that hovered in the 6-8 size range for most of the time we were on.  We tore up mobs, got XP, chatted a bit about the game and this and that, beat the bejeezus out of Ms. Shock when she tried to stop the bank robbery in Steel Canyon, and in general just had a good time.

I guess my only real point in posting this is, if you ever read one of us saying, "Go ahead and make your own team, it's not hard," and scoffed, well it really isn't.

My other only real point is, if you were on Indomitable last night and were part of Ann Ionic's team in Sharkhead, thanks, you were all awesome!  There was someone who missed the Steel Worker badge, a Demon MM, name was something like "Kerra Baal."  Try finding me again tonight and we'll see if we can't get that for you!

My other other only real point is, if you weren't on that team, maybe I'll catch you on the next one!

Everyone have a great day.

Generator

So much this. Even running a task force isn't hard. I do it all the damn time, even with TFs I don't really know all that well.

I mean if you're trying to do like a MOITF or something, then you probably don't wanna PUG it, but otherwise, just post you're forming a TF and it WILL fill.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Yup!  I agree with ALL of the above.  The game is a blast, and the people are great.  But, if you're waiting for someone else to make your experience work for you, typically you will be disappointed.  I think the rule of thumb here is, if you want to do something, put out the word.  There are always a few out there who will be happy come along!

What was no more, is REBORN!

Just to present an alternative - just like some people in life are very extroverted and have no problems reaching out to people, there are other people who struggle with the same thing.  Maybe it's just an introverted personality, and anxiety disorder, or a lack of confidence.  But regardless of the reasons, it's usually not so helpful to say to those people (I'm among them), just be more extroverted like me and everything will work out. 

I know it can be easy to form a team, I have done it many times, but it always feels exhausting to me in a way that I know it doesn't to others...I know for some, just forming the team is a great joy.

I know everyone means well when they say this, but it's one of those, until you walk a mile, you don't see how hard it can be for some people.

So yes, no one should say that forming a team is too hard or impossible.  There is nothing in the game that makes that true (unless you are playing at 3 am in Praetoria, and let's just face it, the math to form a team probably isn't there).  But to say it's easy, because it is easy for you, doesn't make it true for everyone else.

Again - I know that everyone on this thread means well, and there is zero intent from them to insult anyone, and in fact, I am not insulted.  Please know there is zero intent from me to be taken as insulting either.

• Thanks 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

[...] an introverted personality, and anxiety disorder, or a lack of confidence.

You and me both, brother.  You and me, both.

I'm fine and okay on forums - though even there, my anxiety complex often gives me plenty of problems you won't ever see - but in real-time, dear gods, please no.  Please.

I get anxious using the phone, even!

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I've always felt that if its your team, its your rules.  if you want gear checks and DPS requirements etc then so be it.  I may not like it but it's not my team.  The counter to a team like that is for me to make my own team.

So instead of suggesting to people how to run their teams, make yours and then no one can suggest to you how to run your team as well.

@justicebeliever (and anyone else who read his reply and said, "Yeah, man!"):

I get that, I absolutely do.  My post was in no way an attempt to tell more introverted folks to "just get over it," which it sounds like you probably didn't read it that way but I'm just saying that to make double-damn sure.  :)  The intent was just to make sure that folks who might've been thinking, "Pfft yeah, like that'll work," learn that yes, it really can work.

I haven't walked a mile in your shoes, but I've walked 13 years next to someone wearing a similar pair, so to a certain extent, I get it (but she doesn't take part in MMOs, so I don't know how the one intersects with the other).

Be well.

Gen

That's more common than you might think.

Regarding teaming, I love teaming, but I have this acute sense that whenever I'm teaming with people I don't know IRL (or sometimes even those I do), everyone's time is valuable to them. I have this fear of being the load. The guy that is somehow slowing everyone down. Or is somehow representing a barrier to other peoples' optimal enjoyment. I know it's irrational -- I don't feel other players, by and large, have that effect on my enjoyment. But I'm also odd in that I like the downtime. The standing around, joking, trading movie quotes, and then the "oh, right, we should probably get on with playing" thing. Just reveling being in the game.

...trading movie quotes...

Aaaaand I am suddenly reminded of the time back in the old days when, in the middle of a Manticore TF, we all broke into a rousing version of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody for basically no reason.

Apart from, you know, awesome song, man.

EDIT: so that I'm clear, I mean all beating up of Crey personnel literally stopped for this to be done.  No one talked about it, it just happened.  It was like in old Hollywood movies when suddenly you'd break into The Musical Number.

@justicebeliever (and anyone else who read his reply and said, "Yeah, man!"):

I get that, I absolutely do.  My post was in no way an attempt to tell more introverted folks to "just get over it," which it sounds like you probably didn't read it that way but I'm just saying that to make double-damn sure.  :)  The intent was just to make sure that folks who might've been thinking, "Pfft yeah, like that'll work," learn that yes, it really can work.

I haven't walked a mile in your shoes, but I've walked 13 years next to someone wearing a similar pair, so to a certain extent, I get it (but she doesn't take part in MMOs, so I don't know how the one intersects with the other).

Be well.

Gen

To Gen, Zolgar, Abraxus - you guys are awesome and righteous.  Be happy to team with anyone of you.  And I know you would be very inviting. 

Pax - I hear you...not sure why the forums don’t trigger anxiety in me either (probably because it is asynchronous communication, and I’ve learned the hard way to not try to hard to read into what people are saying and just assume good intent).  Also I know you are working to make this easier for people with your Temporary Powers Channel.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

...trading movie quotes...

Aaaaand I am suddenly reminded of the time back in the old days when, in the middle of a Manticore TF, we all broke into a rousing version of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody for basically no reason.

Apart from, you know, awesome song, man.

EDIT: so that I'm clear, I mean all beating up of Crey personnel literally stopped for this to be done.  No one talked about it, it just happened.  It was like in old Hollywood movies when suddenly you'd break into The Musical Number.

This happened last month in one of the Global Channels.  It was hysterical!

Ok, anxiety aside, this needs to be said.

There's often a lot of negativity, even on these boards.  People always have to be right, not matter what or how they get there.

I say this because this thread actually made me cry.  No fight, thoguh there could easily have been one.  No rudeness.  Just understanding and brotherhood (personhood?) and a shared love for this game.  This is why this game is still here after all these years.  Why it got resurrected.  Because no other game that I've ever seen has generated this kind of community.  And even with the bad apples and sour patches, there is still this over-arching warmness of the people in CoH, whether on live or here. 

So thank you guys for this thread.  Really :)

This happened last month in one of the Global Channels.  It was hysterical!

I'm imagining some Voltaic Tank kind of watching this thinking, "Okay guys, we've got like, three and a half minutes to get as FAR from here as possible..."

Re: that Temporary Powers channel, TBH I haven't really done much with global chat channels yet in our second life here. Is it acceptable practices to solicit LFM requests in there?

Ok, anxiety aside, this needs to be said.

There's often a lot of negativity, even on these boards.  People always have to be right, not matter what or how they get there.

I say this because this thread actually made me cry.  No fight, thoguh there could easily have been one.  No rudeness.  Just understanding and brotherhood (personhood?) and a shared love for this game.  This is why this game is still here after all these years.  Why it got resurrected.  Because no other game that I've ever seen has generated this kind of community.  And even with the bad apples and sour patches, there is still this over-arching warmness of the people in CoH, whether on live or here. 

So thank you guys for this thread.  Really :)

Man, it's like we started saying in 2012.

We're heroes.  This is what we do.  Even when we're villains.  Just, you know, in that case check for your wallet when we're done.  :)

Must... resist... urge to create a SG called "Freddie and the Mercuries"

The only rule for joining is that you need at least one costume slot where you look like your regular character but also kind of like Freddie Mercury. Also, the answer to the question of "so which one of you is Freddie?" is always to point to a random member and say "he/she is."

The only rule for joining is that you need at least one costume slot where you look like your regular character but also kind of like Freddie Mercury. Also, the answer to the question of "so which one of you is Freddie?" is always to point to a random member and say "he/she is."

Sold

I totally get that there are those that just don't feel comfortable forming a team, and the anxiety issues underlying that reticence.  I understand.  I have a son that has some pretty noticeable social anxiety issues, which we are doing our best to help him deal with, and hopefully break through. 

So, when I encourage those that feel their experience is lacking in game, to do for themselves what they complain is missing, please know that I absolutely am not pointing to the folks dealing with these issues.  I know this, because the folks who feel this kind of anxiety, are typically not the ones doing the complaining about their experience (or lack there of), in-game.  In fact, I believe the ones who do complain in this way, are the ones who absolutely could form a team of their own, but just lack the experience of doing so, or just don't want the burden.

For the folks who are content to join in whatever becomes available, I say "I will always be around to form those teams, and welcome any of you aboard!".  In true CoH spirit, I believe we all rise to assist those who want/need it, and to fight alongside those who don't.  Together, the teams are stronger with you, than without you!

What was no more, is REBORN!

Um, if this happens and you don't tell us what server, there's gonna be trouble.  :)

EDIT: bonus points for character name that is a Queen-related wordplay.

Um, if this happens and you don't tell us what server, there's gonna be trouble.  :)

EDIT: bonus points for character name that is a Queen-related wordplay.

And had it happened in Live it would have to be on Champion server.  I’m totally in EggKooKoo!

I’m thinking of a Flash Gordon character.

I make no promises. All my characters are on Excelsior and all but one are already in a SG. That one is a Praetorian that I'm slowly working toward 20. My plan was to fold him with the others but if I get to 20 and no one has made this SG, I'll do it and post here. If someone wants to make it, I'll join with him when he's able. He's a monstrously huge renegade Clockwork SS/invul Brute with no head.

That's more common than you might think.

Let me rephrase it, then:

I occasionally have panic attacks at the mere thought of using the phone.  My phone ringing elicits an immediate spike of fear.

I don't mean just a little bit of uncertainty.  I mean actual terror.  I've had my plans for dinner ruined by, say, the last milk (needed for a recipe) spoiling.  Not having a car, either I ordered out or went hungry.  I've occasionally chosen the latter, because the thought of ordering a pizza or a sub for delivery caused me too much anxiety.

EDIT to add:  And as JusticeBeliever mentioned, I have set up a Global channel to hopefully help get teams rolling (a) for people with social anxiety issues, and (b) for people with short, narrow windows in which to play - even as little as 1-2 missions.  IOW, people very much like myself.  :)  It's called Temporary Powers, and I'd love to see more people join up!

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

EDIT: wrong thread lmao

but in the spirit of the thread I always advertise my teams as "all levels welcome" (playing at +4x8).  Only once have i gotten someone who was really.... not... useful... (they were literally level 1 and had no travel powers) - aside from that, I'll adjust my difficulty to what the group can handle and never turn anyone away because they're the wrong AT or powersets :)

I occasionally have panic attacks at the mere thought of using the phone.  My phone ringing elicits an immediate spike of fear.

I don't mean just a little bit of uncertainty.  I mean actual terror.

This...is...me...

I intentionally keep my cell phone on silent and out of sight, just so I don't have to know that someone is calling...