The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Most Survivable you can make Fire Armour

Daramar

@Sovera and the theory of "Being survivable enough" got me to thinking what would be the opposite? I'm playing Fire Martial arts Brunker. It's a real kick to play (see what I did there). The final build looks to be 45%. M/R /AoE. Does anyone have a Fire Armor build that is boosted to incarnate level content (54% I think?)?

Edited by Daramar

• Daramar changed the title to Most Survivable you can make Fire Armour

Defence is an addendum. You're still a resist based character and your resistances should be at 90%. The 45% is just an extra that allows to dodge most things Fire Armor is bad at (debuffs and psi).

The 59% is just for defence based characters to worry. The good news is that resistance does not care about incarnate caps. If you're at 90% then you're set. Resistance debuffs? Resists resist resistance debuffs and you have those at 90% ergo you're 90% resistant to resistance debuffs. (I like this phrase, now say the whole thing ten times fast).

Even to reach 45% is already a gimmicky affair relying on not completely optimal slotting, plus Storm Kick, plus Barrier. So I don't think that you will get much higher. Not with that character, you have resistances to keep up, three types of defenses to keep up, and on top try to have a decent recharge.

You should not even need more defence overall but while it is not as fun consider that having 90% of your inspirations dedicated to small purples lets you bump that 45% to 57% on the off chance you do find your HP dipping.

• Like 1

Regardless of how much defense you add to a build, Fiery Aura has no defense debuff resistance (DDR). Meaning that your defense can be stripped away very easily. I don't worry about soft-capping defense on armors without DDR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uun said:

Regardless of how much defense you add to a build, Fiery Aura has no defense debuff resistance (DDR). Meaning that your defense can be stripped away very easily. I don't worry about soft-capping defense on armors without DDR.

^---this

If you gain defense, organically, through set bonuses where you're chasing other bonuses, fine.  I don't focus on +def, on Res armor sets, because I exemp ALOT and when I do I don't have access to incarnates (where Ageless +DDR comes into play).

• Like 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

I had a Fire/Rad Tanker with 90%+ Resistance to Smashing, Lethal, Fire; Energy & Negative hit 90% with the START Vendor buff or 1 Tanker ATO stack, and Toxic could hit 90% with 2 applications on Healing Flames.

Cold and Psi resistance were both over 60%, and grew with tanker ATO stacks and Scaling Resistance from Reactive Defence if I did start losing health.

She was very survivable.

Melee defence was around 31%, but that was incidental.

My guide for resistance builds is here:

One trick I've picked up since then for this kind of build (on my Rad/Energy tanker) is Rune of Protection as a god mode - adding the extra 18.75% Resistance to all (29% slotted) not only covers the psi/cold hole but will push everything else over 100%, at which point your resistance cannot be debuffed at all.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Daramar said:

The final build looks to be 45%. M/R /AoE. Does anyone have a Fire Armor build that is boosted to incarnate level content

Is 45% a trap? Sometimes. For healing or resistance sets I believe it is. (Don't get me wrong, it helps but potentially too big of an investment at too high a cost to other stats)

As others have said, survival may have more to do with high resistance, incidental defense, AND other means.

On a Fiery/Claws I like Darkest Night with it's big -ToHit aggro-ing everything within 25' of the target.

23 hours ago, Daramar said:

Most Survivable you can make Fire Armour

Between high resistance, a big tohit debuff, and a self rez.. it's very survivable. Paired with a secondary that had knockdown (Stone Melee), -ToHit (Dark Melee), or +Def being even more so.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum