Curious - when are you "done" with a character?

Ukase

I'm on the constant search for a "main". I see heroes running around at multiple hundred veteran levels and feel jealous.  They must really like that toon to play it so much. I want that! 

My problem is that no matter how powerful and fun a build, concept , costume, or playstyle is, once I hit around t3-4 something happens and I abandon ship.  I've made multiple characters that were so fun and powerful that I thought, "This is it!  I've found it!  I've reached the promised land!". But inevitably, somewhere in the V20s I get the itch for something new. 

Every time I think it's the last time.  But every time it's the same....  That's the definition of insanity, eh? 

On 9/8/2024 at 1:23 PM, Ukase said:

Some folks play one character. Or mainly one. Maybe they have 1 level 50, several alts ranging from 1-49, but only one "Main", and they play that character more than any other.

Well, I do play my 'main' more than any other character.  And I have my main on every shard but only two of them are 'finished'.

I consider a character finished once they get all incarnate powers to at least tier 3.  If the character is any fun at all, I'll usually get every incarnate to tier 4.  Also, many of them will have multiple Destiny powers (usually Barrier, Clarion and Incandescence).   At that point, they're typically retired except for specific purposes.  For example, I have a beam rifle / kinetics corrupter created specifically for Really Hard Way badge runs.  I have an electric/electric tank specifically designed for tanking the Avatar of Hamidon in the Underground trial.  I have a radiation/radiation defender on my second account in case Ironblade wants to fight something he can't quite solo.  Etc, etc.

P.S.  Out of curiosity, just checked my spreadsheet.  I have 15 characters vet level 20 or higher.  Ironblade is vet 188.  The next closest is vet 66.

Edited by Ironblade

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I typically have one toon that I am working on levelling up. Once they hit lvl 50 and are all IO'd up (not to ridiculous levels) and their incarnates are slotted to at least T3, I will usually move on to the next one.

My main (Flitz) will still come out to play for Hami Raids and badges, as will the other 50s if I fancy a change. 

Then there are all the alts sitting anywhere from level 10 upwards that get an outing as and when the mood takes me. 

Torchbearer: Flitz (MA/SR Scrapper), Lead Hose (AR/Dev Blaster), Red Rag (Fire/Fire Brute) ... and many more!

I start a new toon once the last one has hit 50 and has gotten all the passive accolaids, has a properly set out build and has opened at least the first incarnate slot, maybe more if I having a really good time. They definitely aren't "done" and I like it that way because it gives me a good reason to go back to old toons periodically and still have the ability to progress the toon.. 

Edited by mistagoat
words

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *MiHami Heat-Fire/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

At first, it was all about one character, I just wanted to get them to 50. (That was back on live.)

This with life, though, led to burnout.

So I'd have one 'Main,' and one backup character who was very different.

This was usually when playing PuGs and solo.

Then I started playing with a regular SG, so I started making characters to play along with them, and wanted to try something new each time, and something that would complement what others were bringing.

Then I got my first character to 50, the character I played most. They were 'shelved' for some time, the focus being to catch my other characters up to them.

...But badges would still bring my 'main' character out again

Then I noticed I had most archetypes to 50, why not ALL of them?

Then inventions were introduced, why not have a full IO build for all of them? My main came out again, as did my 'runner up' 50's.

The INCARNATES were introduced, so, why not get every 50 to be fully incarnated? This brought out my 'Main' again, as did badges.

Then new powers were introduced, so why not have not just every AT to 50, why not a 50 for every power set?
Now...I have so many 50's, of all AT's, of so many powersets...

I just like to play my 'Main,' and certain characters who have their own stories and characteristics that I like, while the rest gather dust on the shelf, and the occasional almost-50 of a power set I haven't 'finished' yet. Before, a character was 'done' when they hit 50 with inventions and incarnates.

Now, that's well-trodden ground. Most characters are 'Done' when I just don't care about them anymore.

Woo! Wet blanket answer!

TBH since the creation of IOs in like issue 6 or so, I have never "finished" a toon before my altitis got me.  I might actually get there soon with Psychokilla my psi/kin corruptor but he isnt' 50 yet so we will see.

Firstly, I’m an altcoholic.

Starting way back on live I started to build one character for every AT/Power set combination (across four accounts), and when Homecomming started I recreated most of them. Because I’m not completely crazy, I’ve tried to limit this to Power Set favours rather than every single combination, there are so many possible combinations.  So far, I haven’t found any unplayable combinations.

I trend to solo them until 50, then do the DA arcs and as many iTrials as I can (often difficult due to my time-zone). Although, I never “retire” any of them, most I only play rarely once then get all T4 incarnate powers. There are a handful that I keep going back to but there is only one that I actively attempt to get badges for (I guess it would be consider my main).

Currently I have around fifty 50’s and about fifteen in the late 40’s plus others. It would be a lot more if I didn’t take long periods away from the game over the years.

What I have noticed lately is that every new character I create seems to end up stronger and more powerful than those that I created previously. I’m not sure that if this because I’m getting better at creating builds or if it’s just the natural evolution of the game.

If it's very fun to play, I'm probably riding it to T4 in all slots and onward to the Genuine badge, at which point XP usually gets turned off because I'm very mature, though a handful of characters have gotten to keep going if the gag didn't suit their tone or I really wanted the rest of the vet badges on them. If it's good but not thrilling, I'm probably moving on after getting the Incarnate shifts out of the way, and if it's just so-so I probably get weary of it after only a couple vet levels and move on to the next concept that catches my fancy. Accolades and badges are usually super not a concern of mine but the keepers usually end up with a couple of the passives and I'll probably go out of my way for badges that are super appropriate for a character to wear if I notice they exist.

My main is 5 years old and i still play him, mostly bcause he is fun, easy to earn inf on, and people know him.

I dont really hunt badges or make alot of alts did that back on live.

The few alts i have are some weird concepts i brew over weeks and i consider them done when they get fully tier4 incarnates

My main need a goal for me to continue playing, for now its Costumes from the vendor gotta catch em all

19 hours ago, Logansan said:

Firstly, I’m an altcoholic.

Heaven help me. 
So, if you've ever been privy to an Alcoholic, or any other addiction, they say that you must first understand that you have a problem. Admitting it is the first step. 

But, while expensive in terms of time and inf, I really don't see how continuing to make alts is a real problem. I guess it is if you think it is. But I don't think it is. I think it's just a different way to play. 

So, I think for me - my brain is recognizing that there's a lot of things that I like to do in game that aren't really suited well for a character that's leveling up. I like to tackle GMs when I see them. It can be problematic, though not impossible, to effectively lead a league for a GM kill when you're level 12 grabbing explorations in Perez Park. 

Much easier to do this as a 50. The "merit per minute" mark is also much higher as a 50. Everything is better as a 50, really. Even if I use Ouro to do the same stuff I'd do if I were leveling organically! 

A part of my post was looking for some kind of inspiration to tell me when "enough is enough" for a character that I enjoy playing. I've only earned like 117 hero merits with it so far, vet level 36. 
Most of my primary characters are at vet level 99 or so. A bunch of play 'em and forget 'em are vet level 15-24. 
I'm not real sure where I'm gonna stop with this character. I guess if/when I get bored with it. Bound to happen, and hope it happens soon, because I still haven't tried Marine Affinity. With the add-on from City Modder making demons sound like kittens, it might be time for a Demon/Marine MM. 

There are a couple of my level 50 toons that have "retired" and in the story line they are in their own zones such as one parked inside a police station like he's working as a detective now and another staying in the bar areas at pocket D as a bartender/bouncer. The alts in the same story lines are a part of the supergroup and training on the job. 

"For the Monte Clan!"

On 9/15/2024 at 4:24 AM, Ukase said:

Heaven help me. 
So, if you've ever been privy to an Alcoholic, or any other addiction, they say that you must first understand that you have a problem. Admitting it is the first step. 

But, while expensive in terms of time and inf, I really don't see how continuing to make alts is a real problem. I guess it is if you think it is. But I don't think it is. I think it's just a different way to play. 

I definitely don't think it's a problem, far from it. Ever since I start playing computer games (in 1980 if I remember right)  I always ended up having multiple characters in any game that allowed  it. It was (and still is) one of the best way to experience the full game, especially with games like COH were you can create a number of diverse characters.

I have a heuristic mnemonic I use: FUCT

My characters have to be: Fun, Unique, Challenging, Team Friendly

Mostly that's pretty obvious but to spell it out for anyone reading who's slightly slow it boils down to enjoyment while playing, a sense of difference to other characters in my stable, not so easy I can follow a team lead blindly mashing a few buttons and allow me to fulfil a role on a team without being too difficult or niche.

If they don't pass muster by lvl 50 and don't fulfill that criteria they get deleted.

If I do keep 'em (and I have a lot)  then they might not always come out to play - because there are things I want to do on other toons but they will be brought out for high days, holidays, team events, leagues, etc etc. I have enough characters on most shards that I can fit in any team of most levels if need be.

Some of course don't ever get forgotten. My namesake being the obvious but I'd also say I've got a handful of characters that I have done all content with almost as far as I want and now it's just tweaking (maybe to get extra inf or to afford that Proc I'm missing. )

None of those are ever "done" but equally I don't feel a huge need to "finish them" with any degree of urgency.

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

If a toon gets to 50, I’m never done with it. It depends on who I’m playing with. I have good tanks, scrappers, brutes, blasters, sentinels, a good peacebringer and a good spider. I’m not a good healer type player, but I do have one good healer, as long as I don’t get too offensive minded. I’m currently working on a mastermind but it has the same problem as my defender, me getting offensive minded. If I’m going off on my own, I usually use my spine/radiation tank or a sentinel. But I can adapt to whatever the people I’m playing with need. If a toon of mine gets high enough, it never gets dropped. I have a bunch of toons below 20 that will never be dusted off. Then everyone is 50 or about there. 

If a toon gets to 50, I’m never done with it. It depends on who I’m playing with. I have good tanks, scrappers, brutes, blasters, sentinels, a good peacebringer and a good spider. I’m not a good healer type player, but I do have one good healer, as long as I don’t get too offensive minded. I’m currently working on a mastermind but it has the same problem as my defender, me getting offensive minded. If I’m going off on my own, I usually use my spine/radiation tank or a sentinel. But I can adapt to whatever the people I’m playing with need. If a toon of mine gets high enough, it never gets dropped. I have a bunch of toons below 20 that will never be dusted off. Then everyone is 50 or about there. 

alts to me are like gravity.

as i get levels and tiers of incarnates, they lose mass and have less of a pull on me

so that brand new,"awesome combo i can't believe i never played before" suddenly becomes like a blackhole and i can't escape playing it.

on the other end a level 50 with all tier 4s is like a cold,dead asteroid spinning in space at that point to me.

• Like 1