Kheldian lore and backstory guide 2.0: HC edition

Greycat

Kheldian Backstory and Lore Guide 2.0

Original version (Kheld backstory guide 1.0)  posted on the live forums, 1/19/2006  (https://web.archive.org/web/20120905121326/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=114391)

Long overdue update, thanks to game changes. Some of this may be Homecoming specific, but at time of writing, that shouldn’t be a huge amount. – MB/GC

What is this all about, then?

This is not a guide on how to slot or play a Kheldian, what powers are best, what IOs to look for or what powers are best. Most every Kheld of mine is different, with powers chosen as part of their own story and leveling experience.

This is a guide to what a Kheldian is in the game world. It will (hopefully) answer questions about what they are, why they’re here, what we know of their history and culture and why they can do the things they do.

Why this guide?

Because ever since seeing a Peacebringer pop out of a mission in the Hollows in Nova form and fly off in issue 3, I’ve been interested in Khelds. I’ve used them to expand stories for my characters, for entire story arcs for supergroups, for discussion – I like Khelds, and Epic ATs.

When it comes to COH, I’m very much more in the RPG side of MMORPG. I enjoy the lore. I enjoy backstory, almost regardless of what world it’s in. Tolkien, you’ll find me rereading the Silmarillion more often than The Hobbit. Narnia, I found published order (the way I had them) to tell a much better tale with the Magician’s Nephew being the second last book, opening up a glimpse into the beginnings of the world you’d spent the last several books in just before the end. Star Wars? TOTJ, thanks. All about far pre-prequel, intrigued by the Tho Yor and the Je’daii.

So when I came across Epic ATs, ATs that had a unique way of being tied to a specific bit of lore and dove deeper into it, rather than skimming the wider surface of COH’s story arcs, I was hooked by that and how it entwined with how it shaped gameplay for those characters. They may not be the most powerful, they may have quirks and challenges that keep them from being more widely played – though, for me, that’s part of the fun – but I love my Kheldians. And digging into them is part of that fun for me – and led to the original Kheldian backstory guide.

And with more information available now, some only available after the live game’s sunset, well… it was past time to revisit and expand it. Some people are just going to ignore everything and gripe about a source they don’t like. I’ve decided, frankly, I don’t care – you don’t like it, or have a beef with me, don’t read it. This is for my enjoyment, and it’s my choice to share this for others who might be interested. It’s part of *my* enjoyment of Kheldians.

-MB/Greycat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Table of Contents

Yeah, this got a little long. 

1. Introduction to the guide. 

2. Bias and lore sources - what I used, and how much weight each is given and why. 

3. What is a Kheldian? - what they are, types/faction overview. 

4. Kheld Life - Lifespan, reproduciton, senses, communicaiton, care and feeding. 

5. Kheldians and forms - the whats and whys of shapeshifting, relationships with hosts

6. Kheeelllds  innnn spaaaace - How they travel, Kheldians and Earth. 

7. Nictus science - The dirty deeds done by the bad guys. 

8. Kheldian leadership - a who's who, with a little what and when.   Also includes a section on naming. 

9, Non Kheldians - Kheldian adjacent folks affected by the Khelds - or more often, the Nictus. 

10. "What could have been" - bits that were planned and dropped or changed, mostly stuff I find interesting that was noted in some source. 

11. Sources

(Bets on if I remember to link to the individual posts? -MB) 

Edited by Greycat
Linking!

Bias, weighting and handling on lore sources:

There aren’t many sources. There’s what’s in game, there's what was released on the live websites, there’s direct (original) developer quotes, there’s the AMAs, there’s the Kheld design document and the comics.

I take what’s in game, what was put out by Cryptic on their site/announcement, and direct developer quotes as A-tier. Everything else would be less reliable – mostly because the design doc (and original Blue King comic story arc) were written up or transferred before release (and alterations,) or for the comic have third party artistic license, and the AMAs did happen post-sunset, when the devs responsible were largely gone and there was no access (obviously) to “official” documentation that they may not have kept copies of. (And for obvious reasons, they never mention keeping any.)

I will endeavor to cite the sources where possible.

Source key I’m using, by order of reliability:

“Tier 1” – absolutely rock solid

COH – this is in the game. For purposes of the document, this will trump anything else.

DQ – Developer quote (live game devs pre-sunset)

Web – Typically an archive of the live website, such as www.cityofheroes.ca or a copy on archive.org, the more recent the better (unless being used to show progression of an idea.)

“Tier 2”  - Post sunset, strong source

##AMA – “Ask me anything” from a specific year (IE, 14AMA = 2014 AMA, see note above) AKA “Loregasms.”

“Tier 3,” – Weaker, mostly due to age or other factors. May be the only source of info.

KLB – (the Kheld design document, that is - I have a habit of calling it the Kheld lore bible.) = while sometimes superseded by development, gives a look at intent. However, it’s the only source for some info, especially deeper background.

CB – Comic book (based off KLB, including scrapped sections)

HCW – homecoming.wiki (just because “anyone can edit,” not a slam on the site or those who run and maintain it. It and the work's much appreciated.)

So, for example, if something only shows up in the KLB (like much of the Kheldian “history” pre-game,) but isn’t contradicted, revised or obviously removed by a “higher” source, it’s being used with a note of its source.

If something’s listed in the KLB but is obviously removed (see “Synths,” later,) or otherwise revised by something that made it to the live game and/or website, at most it’ll be mentioned at the end in a list of things that were dropped, but the “higher” source (the game, the website, developer comments) takes precedence.

Where I’m making my own comments or suppositions, as opposed to statements backed by sources, those will be marked out as such.

I will use, quote and point to older sources, even if other things in them are superseded, either for them being the only source or specifically to point out interesting ideas had *at that time* for what they could be or do – even if that was changed or the technology wouldn’t allow it later. And yes, I’ll endeavor to call that reasoning out as well (“The KLB says this, but it’s also noted “if code allows” – which apparently it didn’t and was dropped,” for instance.)

Edited by Greycat

So what is  a Kheldian?

In game, “Kheldian” refers to the Peacebringer and Warshade archetypes (and to the Nictus enemies, technically, though they’re usually considered separate.) These are Epic ATs (EATs, or Hero EATs – HEATs,) meaning that they have specific game lore that helps define them.

When first introduced in Issue 3, they required a player to achieve level 50 on a character to unlock them. Later this was reduced to level 20, or a store purchase. Currently on Homecoming you can make one as your first character right out of the gate – I would not recommend this, though, as they do have some complexities built in to them. They initially were tied to a specific origin as defined by the lore – Science for Warshades, Natural for Peacebringers.

In game, you will run across Kheldians in the form of the NPCs Sunstorm (Atlas Park, Peacebringer contact) Shadowstar (Atlas Park, Warshade contact,) Moonfire (Striga Isle task force contact,) the Paragon Police “Awakened” and, of course, the various Nictus (Find the Shadow Seed, Imperious task force, etc.) as well as Requiem and Arakhn.

But what ARE they?

Kheldians are matter/energy beings from outside of our galaxy. (COH) While not specifically defined as far as “where,” their home is “a nearby galaxy” (KLB.) This was later refined (AMA, 2013, Matt Miller) as not another galaxy such as Andromeda, but more like the Magellanic Clouds.

While much of the Kheldian home world was never fleshed out (2014 AMA, Matt Miller,) the KLB describes their home, Kheldia, as

“A lone gas giant that circles a bright blue star in a nearby galaxy. By all Earthly knowledge, there’s no way any kind of substantial life forms could ever have developed there. But the rings surrounding Kheldia are comprised of a unique mélange of minerals, gasses and energy that do in fact support a wide variety of life forms. Although comprised of thousands of individual asteroids, the ring around Kheldia has its own atmosphere.”

It also mentions

“The line between matter and energy was much more fluid, with many life forms of all types being able to transform themselves from one state to another and back again with relative ease. Most creatures that migrated from one rock to another did so by either transforming into an energy form or by using that energy to propel themselves through space.” (KLB)

So Kheldians – and most of the other native species of their planet – are energy beings with the native ability to change their entire form to whatever they need. They shapeshift by changing to alternate forms as a whole (COH, KLB.)  

Kheldians do not appear in Praetoria. The only reasoning we have for why we don't see them there (and, really, the only other dimension with them is War Wolf Earth in the Portal Corp missions) is a comment from the 2014 AMA, where Matt Miller says

"Battalion's existence ties directly with why Kheldians are on Earth. Battalion doesn't exist in other universes like it does on ours, hence why Kheldians never play a role in multidimensional stoires." 

Types of Kheldians

There are three types of Kheldians, and the why of that goes into the bits of Kheld culture we have from the KLB.

Kheldians followed a similar path to humans, as far as going from predators to farmers – though the more clever of them are the ones that figured out how to herd and corral the beings they “ate” (also energy beings from their ring system.) Science and intellectual curiosity became highly prized in Kheld society. The earliest leaders were the ones who could most effectively domesticate animals for food, and they, the breeders and more were the ones looked up to with an almost religious devotion. Science essentially became a religion.

Kheldians eventually developed a caste system, or a technocracy, consisting of the leaders (often referred to in the KLB and CB as “Science lords,” though this title is never referred to in game.

This leads to the split we see in game, though we’ll touch on the history a little later.

Peacebringers: These are best thought of as the “natural” Kheldian (as referenced by their original origin lock.) They were the workers, explorers – and now the army that fights against…

Nictus: These were the leaders, the “Science lords” mentioned in the KLB and CB. They’ve scientifically modified their energies and fed, vampire-like, off their Kheldian followers. The Nictus are literally “inverted” Kheldians, the negative to their positive.  (“Nictus” is the word for demon in one of the alien races they subjugated and fed off of.) (KLB)

Warshades: These are still Nictus, and are more a philosophical split and label for rebel Nictus. They refuse to do things the way the Nictus have done, looking more towards the Peacebringer ways of coexisting and of cooperation.

Flavor from KLB:

“Much like humanity, it is difficult to attribute a single motivation to the entire Nictus race. Many of its members have become horrified at what they’ve done to extend their lives. A few rebels have even begun to fight against their comrades by synthesizing with humans to become Warshades. These rogue Nictus are in fact trying to save mankind from enslavement at the hands of their brethren. The brave Warshades face hostility from not just other Nictus, but also the Peacebringers, who question their sincerity.”

This is also backed up by the game description as well as information in the Kheldian arcs. (Web, COH.)

From the Moonfire task force:

"I have told you that the Nictus once fed upon other Kheldians. What I did not tell you was how. The Nictus scientists developed a powerful energy transfer device that could rip away a Kheldian's life force, even at a distance of light years. This terrible weapon is the reason we Peacebringers have resolved to destroy all Nictus, wherever they may be."

There are no official Nictus arcs in game, though you can (of course) side-switch. And much like Nictus and Warshades, there are “Rogue” Peacebringers (COH) which fight alongside or otherwise support the Nictus for reasons of their own – the ones we run into are opposed to Sunstorm’s alliance with the Warshades.

Edited by Greycat

Kheldian life, biology and drives

How long does a Kheldian live?

This is a more important question than it might seem, as it’s the driver that started the Peacebringer/Nictus war. (KLB, COH) Kheldians live up to 10 years. The KLB says they *can* live up to 20, and that reproduction shortens their life span.

There’s occasionally been comment that Nictus life spans were cut to 5-6 years, but I’ve never found anything to back this up. Granted, the Peacebringers wouldn’t argue…

Kheldian lifespans are also shortened by the energy they give off – including during form shifting. Form shifting at that time also led to degradation and imperfections. (Also part of why this was just initially accepted – the Kheldian mind, being electromagnetic, was assumed to just degrade near the end of their natural lifespans.) (KLB)

Kheldians do not sleep. (KLB) (Author note: This doesn’t sound like “joined Kheldians don’t,” just the native form.)

Kheldians making Kheldians

I initially stated in the original Kheld backstory guide that we don’t know how Kheldians reproduce. However, the KLB does give us this:

“Kheldians don’t normally need to eat once they’re born, except in the days leading up to reproduction when they have to take in and store vast amounts of solar energy. They then combine with three other Kheldians to produce a litter of offspring that are initially made of pure energy. The Kheldian parent group helps shape the resilient matter bodies for these young and begins teaching them how to fend for themselves. The average litter is between three and seven Kheldians….”

The only “reproduction” we’ve got definite evidence of – since it’s brought up as plot points in game -  (COH) is on Earth, where the N-fragments introduced into Council soldiers start taking them over / converting them / growing in them, resulting in a “conversion rate” of up to 40%. The shards however are also created from a healthy Nictus. We don’t know if *that* Nictus dies, has its lifespan reduced or recovers in any way.

Kheldians come to adulthood in only a few months. (KLB)

Kheldian senses

Being creatures of energy, Kheldians literally see the world differently. (KLB) Their native senses run along the electromagnetic spectrum, so they will see things like radio waves or radiation. The “Music of the spheres” would be more a literal than poetic descriptor when they look out into space.

“They became especially intrigued by the stars and astrophysics in general. Their part energy/part matter composition gave them a whole host of senses that humans can’t even quite comprehend. They were naturally sensitive to radiation, a full spectrum of visible and invisible light, radiation, electromagnetic signals, and all sorts of other cosmic phenomena that we on Earth need special equipment just to detect.” (KLB)

So, early on this led to teleportation, solar powered regeneration of damaged tissue, and even the folding of space to create temporary wormholes for long distance travel. (KLB, DQ) Even before they could develop tech to really do anything with it.

Kheldian communication

Related to the Kheldian senses, Kheldians communicate via electromagnetic waves. (KLB) Kheldians do also have a written language called Khelda (COH, “A map of a new Earth.”)

Kheldians can, of course, communicate with whatever means their host uses. (COH)

(KLB) To communicate with other life forms, Kheldians have simply worn speakers to speak audibly. (Author comment: This doesn’t show up in game for practical reasons, much like the “rocks” formed around their bodies. I still find it amusing, honestly, and for my own RP purposes riff on this a bit to have any nearby speakers let the Kheldian half – or unjoined ones – speak on their own.)

McKheldians – How and what Kheldians eat

So there’s a little contradiction in here, though it could be chalked up to evolution of either the story or the Kheldians themselves. The KLB is, again, the only place Kheldian eating is even mentioned – early on it mentions the Kheldians being predators, and their society starting to develop because of herding “livestock” to eat. Meanwhile later in the document it mentions they don’t need to eat after being born, other than absorbing a bunch of solar radiation before reproduction.

The Nictus, of course, modified themselves to reduce the energy loss that was at the core of the short Kheldian life span – and to absorb the energy, vampire-like, from their fellow Kheldians. And with their modifications, from other beings as well.  (KLB, COH)

The Nictus can “eat” this energy directly from biological sources. (KLB, COH – given Warshade and Nictus attacks “healing” being a good representation of this.) The Nictus even bred biological creatures to be more “tasty.” However, where one Nictus could live for about a year off of the energy of one Kheldian, biological creatures only provided them with around a day of energy. (KLB) However, in the Nictus’ current “pure dark energy” forms, they need less energy.

This feeding is referred to in game as well – Moonfire even mentions flat out that the nictus once fed on other Kheldians. (COH)

Since this was the primary driver of the war, some KLB flavor:

The Nictus, once they learned how to drain energy from other Kheldians, started bringing in old Kheldians near the end of their lives to their citadels. That these Kheldians were never seen again wasn’t seen as odd, since they were near death anyway. Later, the Science Lords (Nictus) started building an empire on false pretenses, sending the Kheldian fleets (not yet called Peacebringers) to invade and subjugate other alien worlds. This was easy enough to sell to the general populace, given the Kheldians were attacked when they returned (after trading goods, then abducting specimens and not understanding why it was a big deal) to the first world they’d met intelligent life on – obviously space was hostile. They also used ships disappearing to a “mysterious enemy” (the Nictus themselves) as a source of more Kheldians to feed off of – they were just considered regrettable but expected losses in a war… until the Kheldians found out otherwise and turned on the science lords.  (This is very much an abbreviated version of what’s in the KLB, and interesting reading.)

So in short, Nictus definitely need to feed (COH, KLB) while it’s left vague for (unjoined) Peacebringers, other than (KLB) absorbing energy before reproduction.

Edited by Greycat

Kheldians and forms

Kheldians are shapeshifters, as previously mentioned. Throughout media and stories, there are many sorts of “shapeshifting,” from morphing part of the body to adopting the totality of another creature. So what sort of shapeshifters are Kheldians, and how long have they done it?

(KLB) The Kheldians have been able to change form since before they had a civilization, primitive Kheldians either using their own energy to propel themselves or changing form to do so. In all sources, it keeps mentioning “form,” with a straightforward description of it being a full body change – including (KLB) mentioning the loss of energy and potential mental matrix/pattern damage after repeated shifts. (Obviously that isn’t replicated in game.)

(Web: Archive of City of Heroes site, Jan 5 2005 on Issue 3 release describing Kheldians. URL: City of Heroes (archive.org)

“Kheldians retain the patterns of their past hosts, and can use these patterns to transform themselves into energy-based duplicates of those creatures, gaining new abilities in the process.  The Bright Nova and White Dwarf powers for the Peacebringers (and Dark Nova and Black Dwarf for the Warshades) allow them to change their entire shape, and to access several additional powers.”

So, Kheldian shapeshifting is full form, full pattern shifting.

(COH) In game, Kheldians can have from one to four forms in game (this is not a lore limit but a game one, to be clear) :

“Human” – using the base game character model. While your character may not be human (given options for birds, robots, lizards and the like,) “human” is used generally as shorthand for whatever the unshifted base model the player character uses is.

“Nova” – (COH) This is the first form that becomes available to you in game. This is a flying, blaster form, nicknamed the “squid” by players. This is modeled on a life form encountered in a gas giant. The Peacebringer “Bright” Novas are a race named Mefnanim, living in the upper reaches of that gas giant’s atmosphere. The Warshade “Dark” novas are known as Hulmanim, from deeper in the planet.

“Dwarf” – (COH) This is the second form that becomes available in game. It gains increased resists but has a limited number of primarily melee attacks, as well as a taunt. The White dwarves are from a race known as the Kurukt, mentioned as living on the surface of neutron stars. The Black Dwarves are called Ruktur, and lived on the surface of an unnamed pulsar. (Don’t science it too hard.)

Light Form – (COH) This is a Peacebringer-only form which reverts to their native state for a short time, shifting into wisps of energy.

Nebulous Form – (COH) I’m actually somewhat hesitant to call this a “form,” but listing it for completeness due to the name and it kinda-sorta looking like light form (especially if you hover in yoga pose.) Warshade-only, it obscures your form and phases you for a short time.

(Personal) To address some things that have been mentioned or asked:

• So all Kheldians met the same races?

Obviously not, but this came up as bit of a strawman argument on occasion. The powers are optional. You can be Human only, Human/Dwarf, Human/Nova (known as “biform,”) take all three (triform,) or what I listed as the “inhuman” back in my old Raising a Peacebringer guide (nova/dwarf.) The Kheldian Compact – formerly Empire (KLB) had them in contact with hundreds of species, but for what I would hope would be obvious reasons, the game gives us two. There’s only so much the devs could fit in, especially with earlier limitations of the game. (Author note: I wouldn’t argue with being able to sacrifice a costume slot for customizing a form, if the tech allows it, specifically to represent this.)

• What about the comic where Horus and Requiem are shown with tentacles coming out of their back?

So the comic had to take information from before release, which meant they used what was written up in the KLB – which didn’t always make it into the game, and can fall short of canon. In the KLB, you’re not referred to as a Kheldian, but a Synth, which required biomechanical devices to perform that merge. The only real traces of the back tentacles left are the comic book (CB) and the otherwise generic comment by Shadowstar (COH) in the first mission mentioning you feeling disoriented. (This is also why CB Horus didn’t remember being a Kheldian.) Given Khelds came out in i3, and Crab Spider VEATs have what’s essentially the same thing, only mechanical (COH) – it’s safe to say this concept was 100% scrapped.

Kheldian relationship with hosts

(COH) Kheldians can merge with other beings, later creating a duplicate of that host’s pattern as a new form.

(COH) Peacebringers and Warshades prefer to merge with a willing host, while Nictus are fine with just possessing and taking over. However, even if someone is physically weak, they can force out a Nictus if their willpower is strong enough.(“You can force the horrors out…” clue, COH) Though given time, Nictus will go through that person’s memories, pick through and tell you how they’ll help you “fix” the times someone wronged you. (COH, “They talk to you in your head.”)

(COH) It appears only one Kheldian or Nictus can combine with someone at a time, as the Peacebringers made contact with people who were targeted for forced Nictus implantation as part of their takeover. However, it’s *also* mentioned that Romulus had three (ITF) – and these, once defeated and weakened, were used to create the First Cyst. That said, if you remember the way this was presented in the ITF, these three were external and supporting him, only “merging” (his post-defeat resurrections) one at a time.

(COH) Kheldians and hosts can be separated willingly or forcibly. Forcing out a Nictus that is trying to take possession takes willpower and energy, but doesn’t seem to affect the host. (Supposition) Likely because they have not actually merged, there are no or very few “connections” to break.  (Following, COH) However, forced separation of a joined Kheldian seems to leave both halves confused and not even sure of their identities. (Comment) Not 100% clear if this is just from this *method* (magic via the COT) or if it would happen with any forcibly separated pairing.

(COH) Nictus, of course, can also use N-fragments with willing volunteers. They will continue to try to subvert the host while giving them power. (Galaxies, Voids.) Arakhn is pushing for a higher conversion rate, presumably to full Nictus, than the last reported 40%.

N-fragments are apparently easier to resist, as well, given (COH) the formation of a resistance within the Council to fight the Nictus takeover, which included Galaxies and other implanted individuals.

Edited by Greycat

Kheldians and space travel

Kheldians have a number of ways of getting around.

On short distances, they can either natively redirect their energy or switch to a form to fly from place to place. (COH, KLB) This is native to them, as they used it to travel between the rocky bodies making up the ring around their home planet that was where they evolved. (KLB)

When it comes to longer distances, there are a few options that seem split by Kheldian vs Nictus.

(KLB, CB) When Kheldians went exploring – and later went to war – they developed the technology needed for space ships. This let them do things like bring home artifacts and samples of life from other worlds, and later made up the fleet that conquered much of their galaxy – and later made up the Kheldian Covenant. (KLB)

If they aren’t bringing items or passengers, they have another way to travel that circumvents light speed restrictions: They create a temporary wormhole. (DQ, Avatea to Floating Fat Man, see Kheld backstory guide 1.0.) Per the quote:

“Within the vacuum of space Kheldians use their light form to accelerate to light speed and then shift to their Kurukt or Ruktur form. Having sudden immense mass in this form while moving at the speed of light creates a time/space rip (a small wormhole) to form. The result is the Kheldian moving great distances at nearly instantaneous speeds. The only thing slowing them down is a carefully aimed vector toward single or series of massive gravitational bodies. This technique is used to leap frog between star systems with the only notable amount of time expended being the period of acceleration to light speed and subsequent deceleration at the destination point.”

Expand  

The Nictus have other ways of travel as well. (KLB) When the Kheldians found the world the Nictus had retreated to to hide and build up their forces, before they were overwhelmed, the Nictus used the same machine they’d used to siphon Kheldian life energy from light years away (COH, Winslowe’s Cosmotron) and essentially reversed it, scattering them on a one way trip away from their home and setting the machine to self destruct so they could not be followed. (KLB)

The Nictus can also travel via Shadow Cysts though they are weakened when they arrive. (COH: “Rescue the test subjects from the Council.”) They can use Shadow Crystals for planetary distances. (COH) This travel is instantaneous, though it’s not explained how. (Not that an explanation is  *really* needed. It’s comic book / game stuff, not actual science.)

I should probably add the Nictus seem to have no problem “shotgunning” (my term, given how it’s described)  themselves places, as well. (COH, KLB) They use this technique (KLB) to escape their galaxy through the same device they used to siphon Kheldian life from light years away, as well as (COH) to try (and fail) to force themselves into multiple important figures at the start of their takeover attempt (where they’re met by Peacebringers.)

Kheldians and Earth

How long have Kheldians been here?

Nictus have been on Earth as far back as Ancient Egypt, over 5000 years ago. (COH, Shadowstar.) They generally seem to have laid low to avoid detection.

(Note – The Blood of the Black Stream, an EAT that never was finished or put into the game but was also proposed with shapeshifting in mind, is also tied to ancient Egypt. Whether it would have had any crossover with these ancient Nictus, we don’t know. Just putting this in because it’s interesting to speculate.)

For the most part, the Nictus seemed to have restricted themselves for most of Earth’s history to the caves beneath Revenna, Italy. (COH.) This is also the home of the ‘Path of the Dark.” The Path had already been established when Requiem time traveled back to Cimerora.

(COH, AMA) The Warshades were initially a part of the Nictus on Earth, until one merged with an Egyptian moon cult priestess. This Nictus and the priestess found or created the path of the Warshade. Other Nictus, also horrified at what they and their Nictus brethren had done, sought her out and learned how to turn away. (COH, KLB.) Warshades appear to be an Earth-based phenomena, at least at the game’s start, as Peacebringers often don’t know or trust them yet. (COH.)

(KLB) The Peacebringers basically stumbled across Earth during the Rikti invasion. The Nictus destroyed the scout ship – and, afraid this was the start of a Peacebringer strike, started moving Seeds to Paragon so they weren’t concentrated in one place, though the surviving crew of the scout ship cleared them out of Ravenna. (Author note: For me, this basically works out as The time between the invasion (end of COH beta) and Kheldians arriving (Issue 3) was essentially the time for the message to get to the other Peacebringers and for them to get to Earth. Nothing official saying that.) 

(AMA 2013) While some Kheldians left Earth to continue the war against the Nictus elsewhere, some stayed.

“In the incarnate speculation talk we proposed that “beings who were contributing to the Well’s gestalt” – IE a way to include non-humans, artificials, mystic entities etc who called Earth ‘home’ in some way would find themselves being drawn to it. This was the lore fig leaf for why players would stay in areas around Earth. (Tim Sweeny.)

(Lore Questions 2014) has an interesting but left-vague question and answer:

Q: Was the Prime/main universe the only one with Kheldians? It always seemed strange that they never showed up ‘canonically’ in multiversal arcs. (@Tab)

A: Matt Miller (Positron) – Battalion’s existence ties directly with why Kheldians are on Earth. Battalion doesn’t exist in other universes like it does in ours, hence why Kheldians never play a role in multidimensional stories.

Expand  

(Author note: Answer or smart-alec-ness? Is the *Battalion* tied to the Nictus? I doubt it, but – again – could be fun to speculate or play with the idea.)

Edited by Greycat

Nictus science:

N-fragments

N-fragments are taken from weakened or dying Nictus, though clues indicate research allows them to be taken from healthy Nictus without seeming harm now. (COH) They are generally found in vials with an energy generator attached, and will react to nearby people. (COH)

The Cosmotron

The Cosmotron is a device created by Dr. Winslow (COH.) While he initially believed it to be a device which would provide unlimited energy, he was horrified to discover that it was actually draining the energy from the Peacebringers. The device is very similar to the one the Nictus used to drain life energy from the Kheldians, with a range measured in light years, and to escape their final redoubt in their home galaxy.

Shadow Seeds

Shadow Seeds are the initial version of Shadow Cysts. (COH) They are transported to locations and allowed to grow into full blown Shadow Cysts. This was part of the plan for the Nictus invasion of Earth.

(COH, The Final Darkness) A shadow seed is made by melding together an encysted Nictus with certain rare crystals. If fed the right energy, it can create a “Shadow Cyst,” a place where Nictus can live without a host.)

Shadow Crystals

(COH) Discovered in Cimerora, Shadow Crystals are not quite Shadow Cysts. They do require the death of a Nictus to create. Shadow Crystals allow light-speed transport of Nictus, but are limited to planetary range as opposed to interstellar.

(COH, Sister Solaris) “It is as he said. A combination of heat, minerals, and a well-timed death.”

Shadow Cysts

(COH) Shadow Cysts are the “mature” version of Seeds and Crystals, used to transport Nictus across great distances instantaneously. They also serve as a safe place for unbound Nictus to survive. These were created by Arakhn. (COH, “An annotated letter” – “I refined fragmentation. I created the cysts where we can survive.”) Initially created/made in Ravenna, Italy, “seeds” were brought across to be planted in Paragon and grown into Cysts to allow a Nictus invasion, as well as (KLB) to preserve the Nictus after the Peacebringer scouts found and fought them in Italy.

The First Cyst

The First Cyst exists because of time travel. (COH) Requiem and the 5th Column went back to ancient Rome (Cimerora – COH.) When Imperious sent Romulus Augustus to investigate rumors of “dark ones,” Romulus was turned into a Nictus. When the player characters defeated Romulus, the defeated, dying Nictus went underground and combined with various materials to become the First Cyst. This is – as the name implies – said to be what other Cysts and Crystals originated from initially.

Quantum weaponry

(COH) These are special weapons which fire energy tuned specifically to damage Peacebringers and Warshades. (They used to do special, unresistable Nictus damage in game to Kheldians. They no longer do, having been nerfed to just do negative energy damage.) They are designed to disrupt the energy that makes up a Kheldian. In the Kheldian story arcs they have to be “tuned” to work against Nictus energy. A few have also been “tuned” to experiment with other possessed creatures – during the arc, they were being tested against the zombies raised by the Banished Pantheon. This does not appear to have been successful.

(COH) The mass produced, not as reliable/strong guns have been handed out by the Council to multiple enemy groups. Void Hunters, mercenaries led by Arakhn, have more reliable Quantum weapons – on top of their N-fragments, which grant them other abilities.

Edited by Greycat

Kheldian leadership

The primary contact for the Peacebringers on Earth is Sunstorm, though he takes pains to say he is not the leader. (COH) His pre-merge Human name was Benjamin Carter, a police officer.

For Warshades, it’s Shadowstar, a being who has possibly been around since ancient Egypt – around 5000 years. (COH) Her Nictus merged with an Egyptian priestess, and the two discovered the path of the Warshade. The position / name is passed from mother to daughter. Again, she does not claim leadership, but other Warshades defer to her.

For the Nictus, Arakhn is their leader and the one who led them to Earth. (COH, “An annotated letter” clue, “The Final Darkness” arc.) She also sent Adolfo Ruzzano to Ravenna to merge with a Nictus – Dirge of Entropy – and become Requiem. (COH, “Email on a damaged laptop.”)

Arakhn is also the leader of the Galaxy troops and the Void Hunters (COH,) though Requiem initially had control and agreed to “share” the leadership with Arakhn. She also “refined fragmentation” and created the Shadow Cysts.

Arakhn’s plan for Earth was to “Change the world forever and make it a new home for our kind.” (COH, “An annotated letter.”)

Requiem  (COH, Winslowe’s Cosmotron, “A forwarded email,”) whose original name was Rudolfo Uzzano,  was given leadership of the 5th Column by the Center. This was done to try to stop the constant infighting between him and Arakhn.

Rudolfo was a functionary in Mussolini’s government when he met Arakhn. Already knowing of the Path of the Dark due to Vatican records (HCW, “Path of the Dark,”) he was directed by Arakhn to Ravenna in April, 1926. He merged with a Nictus named Dirge of Entropy and reemerged in May 1926 as Requiem, presenting himself to Mussolini a short time later to offer the services of the Nictus.

(COH: “An annotated letter”) Arakhn did not expect Rudolfo to merge with a Nictus “as powerful as Dirge of Entropy,” and suspects that’s why he challenges her for leadership – and that his ambition is what made their plans fail.

Past leadership (Cimerora)

Dorjan (COH) – General of Romulus’. Introduced Romulus to the Nictus. Leader of the Nictus powered Cimeroran Traitors, later joined with Livia and the Path of the Dark.

Livia (COH) – Involved with the Path of the Dark. Possibly its leader in Ancient Rome. (Speculation: Given what Livia says and does and that her Nictus half is not known to die, she may be Arakhn, just without that name. Reasoning: (COH) Arakhn claims to have developed the shadow cysts, as quoted above, and is apparently the leader of the Path of the Dark, being the one who sent Requiem there. Or this could just be “the story is inconsistent because of later writers and time travel.”)

Kheldian naming

There is no pattern to Kheldian names, either alone or as merged beings.

Known Kheldian names:

Sunstorm (COH, Peacebringer contact) – Kheldian name, Perihelion, Human, Benjamin Carter.

Moonfire (COH, Moonfire task force, Striga Isle)

Shadowstar (COH, Warshade contact)

Requiem – Human, Rudolf Uzzano, merged with Dirge of Entropy (COH AV)

Fires of Enlightenment (COH, Sister Valeria)

Arakhn (COH AV)

Romulus (COH AV, host of unknown Nictus, ITF/Cimerora. Kept human name.)

Tachyon (COH, Sister Valeria)

Livia, Priestess of Ravenna (COH, Sister Valeria, kept human name.)

Shadowcatcher: (COH, Absense of Shadows) Lars Medelson, paired with Altered Umbra. Forcibly separated by the Circle of Thorns in experiments on the nature of Kheldian joining.

Freeflight

Coldstar, FullAlbedo, Moonbow, Brightshift, Lightburner – (COH)  Peacebringer renegades.

Comment: Basically, if you like the name, go for it, there’s nothing lore-accurate (or inaccurate) to worry about.

As an aside, (KLB) “Nictus” isn’t what the Nictus initially called themselves. They had taken over a world and enslaved and terrorized its inhabitants, who called them demons – or Nictus, in their own language. Given both they and their enemies, the Peacebringers, use the name in game, and Romulus even declares “I am Nictus!” when empowered, obviously they liked the idea and the name. Besides, Romulus yelling “I am Science Lord!” would have been a little… odd sounding.

Edited by Greycat

Non-Kheldians

There are several “Kheldian-adjacent” enemies in the game, typically the result of Nictus experiments.

Quantum gunners:

(COH) These are simply standard enemies who have been given or otherwise acquitted Quantum weaponry. They are not otherwise different from other enemy mobs in that group.

Shadow Freaks:

(COH) These are Freakshow who have been implanted with N-fragments, altering their powers. They are an experiment by Arakhn.  

Galaxy soldiers:

(COH, “Basic N-fragment utilization,” Shadow Science) A Galaxy soldier is created by implanting a “sufficient” number of Nictus fragments in a willing human host and subjecting that host to careful training. These Galaxy soldiers can use Nictus-like powers, but are not true Nictus themselves. These are created by Arakhn.

Void hunters:

(COH, “Altered N-fragment utilization,” Shadow Science) Mercenaries created by the Nictus specifically to fight Kheldians. The N-fragments used are altered using “Quantum energy techniques.” Similar to a Galaxy soldier, these are implanted into a willing host, then specially trained and equipped. The scientists doing this noted concerns about “long term effects” and don’t know what would happen if “Total integration” happened to a Void Hunter. Like the Galaxies, these are created by Arakhn.

(KLB) Although the Void Hunters are nominally under the purview of the council, their driving goal is eliminating what the Nictus perceive to be their greatest enemies.

(COH, “Anonymous e-mail,”) A letter (apparently from Requiem, given context clues, but unsigned) mentions their numbers are dwindling and she “must improve the conversion rate for those implanted with N-fragments.” So conversion is apparently not just unconcerning, but desired.

(COH, “An emailed warning,”) An email was composed (but not sent) to Arakhn noting that the Void Hunter candidates received from Requiem were members of “his old organization” and that he might be planting them to prepare for a coup against her.

(COH, “Quantum dispersal weapons”) Discovered in Striga Isle, some of the Void Hunter weapons are “tuned differently” to work against Nictus and N-fragment imbued enemies.

War Wolves:

(COH) There’s a little contradiction about War Wolves. In some descriptions, they are failed implantations of N-fragments, but they are also mentioned as a “Process” of Requiem’s which Arakhn has no interest in. Plus, of course, there’s “war wolf Earth” where there’s nothing left but War Wolves – and Requiem – after the Nictus takeover of the Earth of that dimension.

Vampyri:

(COH) This used to be listed as another failed N-fragment implantation, but that seems to have been edited at some point as it was contradicting other listings. Vampyri in general are Nosferatu’s super soldiers, gaining both strengths and weaknesses in the process. However, there are “dark” vampyri you will run across which *have* been implanted with N-fragments. Nosferatu himself admits to being “interested in the process,” considering undergoing it even after evidence that Arakhn and Reequiem planned to dispose of him was given to him. He only switches sides and fights against them after the player characters defeat him.

Edited by Greycat

“What could have been” 

These are things that were changed or definitely dropped entirely. Source for these are primarily KLB, given it’s an early design document, so assume that unless otherwise noted.

Enemies we don’t see:

The Nictus were initially planned to work with / infect other enemy groups. However, noted very bluntly in the KLB, due to time constraints it was decided to just give the enemy groups either a mob with a Quantum gun or have them hire a Void mercenary. Which works for some, but there are some it’s a real pity didn’t show up – as they’d make more sense! For the most part, these do not have descriptions past the name, but what we could have seen:

Banished Pantheon: Night Shamans

Carnival of Shadows: Nictus trapped in Illusionists (which makes me wonder why “trapped.”)

Circle of Thorns – Rod to a Dark Mage

Clockwork King, Council, Family, Malta, Warriors: Enhanced Quantum Array Gun

Crey: Lt. Paragon Protector – cloned version of the Kheldians.

Devouring Earth: “Crystal Prism guy – light splitter.”

Freakshow: Modified Juicer (Kheldian effect.)

Hellions, Outcasts, Skulls, Tsoo: Nictus Assassin

Nemesis, Rikti: “Slightly Different quantum array gun.” (This description just amuses me.)

Rularuu: Vulnerable to Wisps – Mental attack

Tsoo: New Ink Man; Nictus powers

Vahzilok: Lt. eidolon

Powers:

The only really interesting thing to me about Peacebringers in this document are that both Nova and Dwarf were pictured as being in the primary powerset, versus Nova in the primary and Dwarf in the secondary. Dwarf got moved to the secondary – though it appears we lost a power called “Reactive Armor” (Damage to foe if hit OR reflect attack power OR heal from certain type.) It’s noted as “Depending on code support,” so I’m presuming said support wasn’t there by release.

Warshades, by comparison, had some other changes from the document. They were mentioning “tentacles reaching out” for the hold and wrapping around the target – though (a) this again leans back into the “synth” initial concept and (b) we know from comments on other sets by live devs on things like whips that this was basically impossible.

More interesting to me is that there were proposals of a toggle confuse power, “Infuse” (instead of our fluffies, it would animate and control a defeated enemy, who later explodes, though they may turn on the WS,) and both shapeshifts are just listed as “(Life draining monster? TBD on code support.)” So… no Nova or Dwarf. (Granted, you can argue Dark Dwarf does drain life,  but…)

Both PB and WS also had a mez resist toggle in this document.

In the AMA (Lore Questions 2014,) Sean McCann (Dr Aeon) mentions that he really wanted to expand on the Path of the Dark and its connections to Cimerora.

Synths

The Kheld design document also seems to indicate that, on Earth, the Peacebringers (at least) weren’t merged with the way other races were, but required some technology (which does put the “natural” locked origin in as something to discuss) to sort-of merge into something called a Synth.

The only traces left of this by release seem to be the comment by Shadowstar about feeling disoriented, as well as the CB “tentacles” of Horus and Requiem. It even seems somewhat contradicted in the same document, so (personal supposition) I suspect this was actually discarded early.

Other interesting notes:

Going from the KLB (Kheldian Epic Archetypes) – the four revisions noted in the document history have one or two interesting notes. 26 Aug 2004 – “Incorporated Sean’s Warshades.” Were they really just PBs at the beginning?

And the last revision in this version of the docc, 01 Oct 2004, Jane Kalmes, “Tweaked background fiction to indicate that Kheldians do not die off when fused with a human.”

I just find those little notes to be interesting glimpses of their development and such.

Edited by Greycat

Sources:

City of Heroes, in game information/arcs

2013 Lore AMA

2014 Lore AMA: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ocOo69mXIQ8HthabNe1F4X1EcZcSDwZFEE9sT8WSBc4/edit#heading=h.yul06fnzfa3k

Original Kheld backstory guide (with other links and references,) which I compiled with the Kheldian forum community which was actually helpful:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120905121326/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=114391

KLB:

OK, this probably causes some confusion. The document itself is “Kheldian Epic Archetypes, Revision 4.” (Authors – Sean Fish, Rick Dakan, Jack Emmert, Al Rivera, Jane Kalmes)  which covers their backstory and the original design they were going for. Separate document. My original link is broken, sadly, but I do have a copy used extensively for reference, last updated October 2004.

This incorporates Jack Emmert’s backstory and theme for what Kheldians were and are, which takes up 25 of the 37 pages of the document. I really wish this were more reachable in game – even if it’s just through, say, a Kheldian Embassy where you can go click on things to find out about them. (The rest of the document is mostly design and ideas for enemies and the like.)

Issue 3 introduction of Kheldians: http://www.cityofheroes.ca/news/game_updates/issue_3_a_council_of_war_kheld.html

Also City of Heroes (archive.org) for the actual NA website archive.

Edited by Greycat