Default GFX Card

theonlyzane

So my slightly old laptop appears to run it fine, but using the Geforce Experience I would like to default the game to my 720M card, appears to default consistently to the Intel 4000 crap that's inside.

Any ideas how to do it? currently got a custom profile for homecoming.exe.

Ta

Pretty sure there's a GPU thread or five on here talking about this. One is even a red letter thread I believe.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

So my slightly old laptop appears to run it fine, but using the Geforce Experience I would like to default the game to my 720M card, appears to default consistently to the Intel 4000 crap that's inside.

Any ideas how to do it? currently got a custom profile for homecoming.exe.

Ta

Check you BIOS and make sure the 720M is enabled.  It is odd that it would run back to the 4000 chipset as that should be overridden by having any other video card installed on a laptop.  I would say disable the 4000 but if it going back to it because there is a problem with the 720M you could render the laptop unusable.

If you plug in an external display does it show up as the 720M?  It might be the 4000 runs the laptops display and the 720 is only for the external HDMI/VGA port.

nVidia Control panel (right-click on desktop)

Manage 3D  Settings (left panel) -> Program Settings (tab) -> homecoming.exe (dropdown)

"Select the preferred graphics.." -> High Performance nVidia processor (dropdown)

You may have to "add" (button) homecoming.exe to the list.

Indomitable Heroes: Catgoyle, Toxia, Roberta XR-523, Guardian Clara, Street Cleaner, Princess Cuppycakes

Indomitable Villains: Fluffums, Freeloadin' Freddy, Beatrix the Bunneh, Cheese Thief

nVidia Control panel (right-click on desktop)

Manage 3D  Settings (left panel) -> Program Settings (tab) -> homecoming.exe (dropdown)

"Select the preferred graphics.." -> High Performance nVidia processor (dropdown)

You may have to "add" (button) homecoming.exe to the list.

I have the same problem as OP. The game wants to run in the intel graphics card instead of my dedicated nvidia card. I did what you put in there and it still defaults to the intel card.  The nvidia card does run on other games though. Just having issues getting it to be the default for COH.

Another thing to try -- when in the nVidia control panel with homecoming.exe selected:

Make sure "OpenGL rendering GPU" is set to your nVidia card.

----

I just did a test by running it on my built-in screen instead of the external.  I get all the dire warnings about Intel3000, but according to MSI Afterburner and the nVidia control panel icon, it's really running on the nVidia card.

To verify:

Open nVidia control panel, at the top click on desktop -> enable "display GPU activity icon..."

Then toggle CoH to windowed mode (alt-enter) to get to the system tray and click on the nVidia icon (multicolored square) which will give you a list of "applications running on this GPU" and homecoming.exe should be on the list.

The warnings about "Intel" can be bogus -- it detects the GPU on startup and detects the Intel before nVidia kicks in so it thinks it's on Intel when it isn't.

-----

Side note: How to set W10 to always show system tray icons in case it's hiding some:

Settings -> Personalization -> Taskbar -> Select Which Icons Show on the Taskbar -> Always show all icons.

Indomitable Heroes: Catgoyle, Toxia, Roberta XR-523, Guardian Clara, Street Cleaner, Princess Cuppycakes

Indomitable Villains: Fluffums, Freeloadin' Freddy, Beatrix the Bunneh, Cheese Thief

• 1 month later

I've done all the above, and yet it still randomly chooses the intel card, and never changes it from the default like it will for any other program.

I manually select the high performance one every single time I launch, and still sometimes it doesn't launch (As I can tell very soon into playing as my FRs just die no matter where I am, and also the laptop doesn't run very hot either, which is admittedly a different issue when things are working right)

What would really be nice is a command to put in launch parameters in the launcher to force it for sure.  Or something to select the card it uses like a lot of games have (If such is even possible with this launcher)