How to perma and why?

The normal way to perma something is to use Hasten, slot as many Luck of the Gambler +Recharge IOs as possible (up to 5) and then slot as many other recharge boosting IO sets (Purples and AT IOs being the best). Depending on the ability, this may be enough, or you may need even more IO bonuses.

As for what's worth permaing, anything that provides a big boost to your survivability or damage is usually "worth" it. This include Hasten, Domination, defensive powers like Eclipse on Warshades, and things like this.

I've never tried to perma stuff before and I'd like to get some basic advice.

• What's the bog standard method to perma something?
  • How do I know something is worth going to that effort?

1) There's a pretty simple mathematical formula to determine how much recharge (slotted and global) you need to perma something: Recharge time (in seconds) divided by duration (in seconds) -1.

So if you take Hasten, as the classic example, it recharges in 450 seconds and it lasts 120. 450/120=3.75-1=2.75=275% total recharge needed to perma hasten. (you subtract 1 because your base recharge is 100%, so you need 275% above and beyond that base 100%). For the most part, if a power can be perma'd, once you have Hasten perma'd it is either perma or very close to.

If a power takes more than 5 times its duration to recharge, it absolutely cannot be perma'd no matter what you do.

2) THAT is a complicated question. There is no simple answer because everyone has a different opinion. SOME powers it's a given, like the clicky mez resistance in Super Reflexes and Shield Defense, you want those perma bloody well yesterday. Other powers, like Hasten and Accelerate Metabolism are less clear.. then you get something like Phantom Army and it becomes even less straight forward.

The simple answer is, see what it's going to take you to make the power perma, then decide if the benefit is worth it to you. This isn't a game where if you're not 110% optimized, people won't team with you. :)

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

I once knew a guy who was able to....

Perma-haten. That fool was rollin'.

Everyone was always trying to catch him riding dirty.

I asked him how he had so much haten, he said...

"I got 5 on it."

It takes mad skills to perma Haten. A pure legend!

"I got 5 on it."

Is Perma Haten going to lead to people dupin rares and jerk hacking?

(Is Perma Haten this boards first thing)?

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

"I got 5 on it."

If you got 5 on it...

You can go on a fantastic voyage.

Then everything is gone to the Americans.

Also, Leeeroy Jenkins.

• City Council

"I got 5 on it."

By the power vested in me by... well, me, mostly, I henceforth declare Perma Haten GONE TO THE AMERICANS! Please abuse it.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

"I got 5 on it."

By the power vested in me by... well, me, mostly, I henceforth declare Perma Haten GONE TO THE AMERICANS! Please abuse it.

Permabusin' the haten.

That sounds like a tier 9 secondary, "Permabusin'."

The simple answer is, see what it's going to take you to make the power perma, then decide if the benefit is worth it to you. This isn't a game where if you're not 110% optimized, people won't team with you. :)

Well, barring imports from other MMOs whose experience from those games is that the high-end content assumes that you're min-maxed to get the last 0.0008% possible performance out of your character, and will kick you if you don't meet their standards of how you should be having fun. If they're that fixated on having the One True Build™, then there are better places to spend your time than arguing about why you don't have a particular power slotted a particular way.

Well, barring imports from other MMOs whose experience from those games is that the high-end content assumes that you're min-maxed to get the last 0.0008% possible performance out of your character, and will kick you if you don't meet their standards of how you should be having fun. If they're that fixated on having the One True Build™, then there are better places to spend your time than arguing about why you don't have a particular power slotted a particular way.

Alright srmalloy...you have some nerve addressing the actual issues this thread is about...For that...I'm perma haten you!

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting